Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris diesel fuel consumption - 3rd gen vs 1st gen

paulngui

Hi, first time poster so forgive me for not doing a search first - hoping for some quick thoughts on my situation.  I've just changed cars from a 52 plate d4d Yaris where I'd comfortably average 62-67mpg for a commute which is 70% motorway, 52 mile round trip per day.

Currently on my first full tank with my new 64 plate (pre facelift) d4d Yaris which is currently projecting 61mpg as an absolute best case scenario, but I'm thinking even this is optimistic. Purely based on where the fuel gauge is compared to the mileage I've done on this tank, 330 miles and the first line above quarter tank.  In the old car I'd have done at least 300 miles when the gauge reached halfway.  Does the consumption of the new one seem worse than expected for this car?  TIA.

Edit: new car has just under 38,000 miles on the clock.

Bear in mind, your Mark1 has an EGR valve and catalyst with no other emissions control equipment - as you can smell when starting from cold.

Your new Yaris has a Diesel Pollution Filter when requires a regen every so often to clear the filter (I don't think it's an AdBlue system). Regens burn diesel  - so consumption suffers...

Trying to determine mpg by looking At pointers on a fuel gauge are not going to give you accurate readings. Try going from full tank to full tank, the more miles you do before filling up the more accurate the result will be.

7 hours ago, Madasafish said:

Bear in mind, your Mark1 has an EGR valve and catalyst with no other emissions control equipment - as you can smell when starting from cold.

Your new Yaris has a Diesel Pollution Filter when requires a regen every so often to clear the filter (I don't think it's an AdBlue system). Regens burn diesel  - so consumption suffers...

Add in extra bhp/torque and a fair bit more weight only a 5-6 mpg variance is quite good

I would've thought the 6th gear would help a lot more!  Anyway, will see what it does once I've filled up next.

Just filled up and gotten 59mpg (33.65L, 441.6 miles).  Disappointing, but could be worse.

On 1/15/2019 at 9:03 AM, paulngui said:

I would've thought the 6th gear would help a lot more!  Anyway, will see what it does once I've filled up next.

6th is probably the same as 5th in a five gear car.

Having six gears means that they have closer intermediate ratios to a five gear gearbox.  Top top and bottom will be the same on each ........... or that's from my experience but not necessarily correct for your car .................... but it wouldn't surprise me if I'm right.
Mick.

3 minutes ago, Mick F said:

6th is probably the same as 5th in a five gear car.

Having six gears means that they have closer intermediate ratios to a five gear gearbox.  Top top and bottom will be the same on each ........... or that's from my experience but not necessarily correct for your car .................... but it wouldn't surprise me if I'm right.
Mick.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think this is the case.  In the old car I'd be changing up through the gears much earlier than in this one, and what's more, at cruising speed on the motorway revs are about 2k in 6th in the new one, versus about 3k in 5th in the old one.

As far as I'm aware the third generation Yaris D4D may weigh up to 185kg more than the first generation. That and the additional emissions control equipment will have an effect on economy compared to the first generation. According to the Honest John Real MPG info on the third generation, owners get between 47mpg and 75mpg, with an average of 61.4mpg - https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/yaris-and-yaris-hybrid-2011/14-d-4d

Ignore the official EU fuel consumption figures, as these are based on laboratory testing and don't bear much relation to real world fuel consumption.

One thing to bear in mind with the third generation is that the fuel gauge, in common with other recent Toyotas, operates in a non-linear way - the bars of the gauge extinguish more quickly as the tank empties. Also filling up with less than 15 litres may give false readings. It may help to disconnect the Battery for a short while to clear any fuel consumption data, etc from the ECU.

The only realistic way to measure fuel consumption is to use the brim to brim system, record the miles travelled and manually calculate the consumption when one next fills up.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2019 at 5:14 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

As far as I'm aware the third generation Yaris D4D may weigh up to 185kg more than the first generation. That and the additional emissions control equipment will have an effect on economy compared to the first generation. According to the Honest John Real MPG info on the third generation, owners get between 47mpg and 75mpg, with an average of 61.4mpg - https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/yaris-and-yaris-hybrid-2011/14-d-4d

Ignore the official EU fuel consumption figures, as these are based on laboratory testing and don't bear much relation to real world fuel consumption.

One thing to bear in mind with the third generation is that the fuel gauge, in common with other recent Toyotas, operates in a non-linear way - the bars of the gauge extinguish more quickly as the tank empties. Also filling up with less than 15 litres may give false readings. It may help to disconnect the battery for a short while to clear any fuel consumption data, etc from the ECU.

The only realistic way to measure fuel consumption is to use the brim to brim system, record the miles travelled and manually calculate the consumption when one next fills up.

Thanks for the input!  I'll see how I get on after a few fills, and probably check the tire pressures at some point (clutching at straws, but couldn't hurt).  Then maybe consider the ECU reset later. Cheers.