Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota GR Supra - the legend returns

FROSTYBALLS

But it's an automatic ☹️ (although I note it's got paddles) and I've read elsewhere it has a BM engine! I note that they don't mention that in the official literature.

Probably targeting the US market - where autos are the norm. Without co-development with BMW, it wouldn't exist and using the same engine for the Supra/Z4 makes economic sense for the volumes involved. Llkewise with the GT86 which was co-developed with Subaru, and uses a Subaru engine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, olddriver said:

But it's an automatic ☹️ (although I note it's got paddles) 

the vast majority of high performance cars (e.g. go look at Ferrari & Lamborghini) these days have automatic gearboxes  of 1 kind or another - 1. they are faster to shift than manuals 2. they handle the high torque/power better.

Apparently a suitable manual gearbox does exist though if there is deemed to be enough demand for it to be cost effective to put a manual Supra into production. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The new supra is based on the BMW Z4 with a BMW engine and it looks like a new Z4.

To me it sounds like BMW bought the supra name from Toyota and introduced this new supra model with all their kit and engine. The engine has the VVT-I technology on it but apart from this i cannot see anything else in common with the good old proper japanese supra we have seen in the past.

11 hours ago, mecheng46 said:

To me it sounds like BMW bought the supra name from Toyota and introduced this new supra model with all their kit and engine. 

They didn't. I would say fine, don't buy 1 but it's basically sold out for the next 2 years already ... 😛

11 hours ago, mecheng46 said:

The new supra is based on the BMW Z4 with a BMW engine and it looks like a new Z4.

No. The Supra and Z4 were co-developed by Toyota and BMW - in a similar way thst the GT86/BRZ were co-developed by Toyota and Subaru. 

Neither company actually build the Supra/Z4, as that is contracted to contract manufacturer, Magna, and is built at their Magna Steyr plant in Austria

• 4 weeks later...

This is all out of my depth sounds like politics lol but I must say these new autos are amazing I have no idea how they work wouldn't want to fix one but definitely better than they were 

• 1 month later...

saw my first new Z4 in a car park today 🙂 waiting for my first new Supra ...