Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New 2019 RAV4 HSD fuel economy ?

HSDish

If it's anything like the Gen 4 Prius that was technically available from March 2016, I ordered mine in February and got it mid June.

• 3 weeks later...

I test drove the new 2019 2wd on and around  a hilly Welsh village and 62% of the journey was on electric, and achieved 48mpg average over the course of a 45min drive. 

Again I don't think the 4wd will be much different, as it has extra aerodynamics under the vehicle. So it's drag is reduced. 

That sounds good, but I'm doubtful it's a good indication unless you can be sure that the Battery charge state was the same at beginning and end.

Personally I have never found that the computer generated fuel economy figure is a reliable guide.  I make a habit of always filling the tank full and keep a cumulative record of mileage and fuel used on a spreadsheet.  I appreciate that in itself assumes the odometer reads correctly.  I find that after a few thousand miles the overall figure settles down and rarely moves more than about 0.1 mpg at a time. It also helps me identify the best compromise between speed and time when travelling long distances on motorways.  I have accurate fuel figures for all the cars I have owned in recent years all on one spreadsheet. No doubt many people would find this boring but it suits me!  

When I get my new AWD RAV 4 I know it will be at least 4-5,000 miles before the fuel consumption settles down to anything really meaningful.

21 minutes ago, IanML said:

That sounds good, but I'm doubtful it's a good indication unless you can be sure that the battery charge state was the same at beginning and end.

I don't know how quick it charges on this new hybrid system compared to previous years, but the charge level was practically the same according to the indicator. 

As long as we get 30 - 35mpg plus out of it, it'll be ok. 

4 hours ago, ChrisJohn said:

...I have accurate fuel figures for all the cars I have owned in recent years all on one spreadsheet. No doubt many people would find this boring but it suits me!...

me too (except I use a Database app these days, used spreadsheet in 1980s & 90s).  The App I use syncs between my phone, tablet (and Pocket PC before phones got so smart) and PC so that I can enter or view data on any of these platforms.

I enter a record each time I fill the tank, and also record the car's estimated mpg for the tankful (where available) and I've set up a calculated field that indicates the % difference.  It can vary by 3-8%, but a find knocking 5% off anything the car reports seems to be a fair average.  All 9 Toyotas I've owned or had as company cars have shown roughly the same deviation.

Even at my advanced age (into the 4th quartile) I am always willing to learn. Is there a specific Android app that you can point me to? I have to add that I have been using computer spreadsheets since they were invented but I am always prepared to try something new. 

The App is called HanDBase - it's a basic Database App, you either create and use your own Databases within the app, or use/adapt one of the sample that come with it.

Here's a PC screenshot of the one I've written.  I'll happily supply a copy of it to anyone who has HanDBase.  It can be made simpler, as I doubt many people would want as much info as I do.

Sample fuel DataBase.jpg

Many thanks for posting that information PeteB. Much appreciated. It's good to know that there are other people like me who are obsessed with detail! 

I have had a look at HanDBase of which I was previously unaware. I might just have a go at using it and start when my new AWD RAV4 arrives (due 1st May).

If you do get it, let me know if you'd like a template.

On 3/9/2019 at 5:34 PM, ChrisJohn said:

When I get my new AWD RAV 4 I know it will be at least 4-5,000 miles before the fuel consumption settles down to anything really meaningful.

Correct - new, tight engine etc. won't give the best figures.

• 4 months later...

Think some of You got Your RAV4 2019 by now.

Congratulations !!!

Is there any experiences about "real" fuel consumtion yet?

Please let us know

I have had mine since May and I am delighted with the fuel consumption.  Mine is Excel spec AWD version (one of the first to arrive in the UK).  The computer is showing 53.1 mpg with about 1800 miles driven. I use tank full to tank full figures and keep complete track of everything that goes in the tank.  So far at the 1676 mile reading when I last filled up the cumulative calculates as 51.8.  OK I have been driving in eco mode and have been consciously trying to drive economically but overall I think this is an excellent result for such a heavy car. My mileage has included a good mix of rural, urban and motorway driving to date. The car was delivered with Dunlop GrandTrek PT30 tyres.

When I fill it right up as usual the range now shows around 550 miles.  I have never had a car that would go over 500 miles without filling up before!   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/9/2019 at 5:34 PM, ChrisJohn said:

Personally I have never found that the computer generated fuel economy figure is a reliable guide.  I make a habit of always filling the tank full and keep a cumulative record of mileage and fuel used on a spreadsheet.  I appreciate that in itself assumes the odometer reads correctly.  I find that after a few thousand miles the overall figure settles down and rarely moves more than about 0.1 mpg at a time. It also helps me identify the best compromise between speed and time when travelling long distances on motorways.  I have accurate fuel figures for all the cars I have owned in recent years all on one spreadsheet. No doubt many people would find this boring but it suits me!  

Try ’Roadtrip’ for iOS and Android, not only does it do all this and more, but it also exports to a csv if you want to use the data for anything else.

Think some of You got Your RAV4 2019 by now.
Congratulations !!!
Is there any experiences about "real" fuel consumtion yet?
Please let us know
50mpg Welsh Valleys.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

On 4/26/2019 at 3:17 PM, HSDish said:

Hope you all get your new RAV4 soon. I'm curious to hear about some "real life" fuel consumption...

Firstly, everything I see on my RAV4 AWD displays leads me to believe the rear electric motor/generator DOES contribute to regeneration.

Also, this morning I filled the tank for the third time since the initial fill on day 1.  The results continue to impress me, not least the apparently much more accurate computer estimates of mpg compared to all previous Toyotas I've experienced - so far!  These are my figures:

image.thumb.png.80e27625344e5c7398bc047c75eb90bb.png

• Thanks 1

I also did a 250 cross country round trip today, with air temperatures (according to the car) between 21 and 27°C.  This is what the computer said about today's mpg (right hand bar):

I had a few traffic queues, but mostly the journey was favourable, cruising with the CC set to 60 mph where legal.

20190717_201025.jpg

• Thanks 1

First trip in the car was part motorway (70 mph) and cross country 200 mile to Shropshire. Indicated 62 mpg and brim to brim came to 61 mpg, so pretty accurate. Just come back from a 300 mile round trip to Belgium and back. Mostly 50 mph on the roadwork, laughingly called the M20 and stop start for 10 miles on the bit called the Dartford crossing and 80 mph on the motorways on the French side. I now have an indicated 56 mpg, so I'm happy. Had lots of opportunity to test the intelligent cruise control on the 25 miles plus of nose to tail M20 traffic in the UK. One other tip. The channel tunnel is a tunnel not rail as far as the sat nav is concerned. Designed the route on PC, checked it, sent it to the car, only to find it had changed the route to Dover. Had to go into settings and set 'avoid Trains/Ferries'.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I found this article on one of the Australian towing site the road tester are recording some good mpg figures, I have download a conversion table https://www.unitjuggler.com/convert-fuelconsumption-from-lper100km-to-mpgimperial.html

4.4 ltrs/100km is around 66 uk mpg

https://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/editorial/details/toyota-rav4-hybrid-2019-tow-test-119784/

Hi everyone this is a interesting thread how does everyone find the revvy engine when your when your wanting to make quicker progress rather than holding up traffic watching your eco gauge hypermiling 🤓.i am a hybrid convert myself coming from a avensis 2.2d 2012 which did 45 mpg urban and 55-60 mpg motorway and this wasn't trying to be economical torquey engine .but now I have a Lexus RX450h which is lovely to drive no gear changing I prefer driving A roads rather than boring motorways .3.5ltr V6 and it gives me 39mpg driving in more hybrid driving mode, as to say or I can have fun dropping to down to 25-30 mpg unleashing just shy of 300 bhp .which is fun annoying the !Removed! Germans panzers oops I mean Audi and BMW drivers as they catch a sniff of a dual carriage way ahead from one lane opening up to two and I just squeeze on the throttle lol . We did look at the RAV4 but it felt to much like the avensis but I can see us converting to full electric in the future when the ranges improve and prices fall.

Hi All, this is great to hear, i'm getting my company RAV4 in october, it replaces my 2017 VW Tiguan 2.0d, it does a true 44mpg average over 35,000 a year, so the MPG of the RAV doesn't look any different, plus using HMRC rates for fuel recompense means it should be a nice little earner!

I'd much rather "a nice little earner" as opposed to the cash cow that my current Passat estate has become with the  hmrc extortionate BIK ratings... Roll on Mid September and my new Awd  Excel Rav..  

• Like 1

I was toying with the idea of the new Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV as we tow a caravan, but some in-depth research plus following data on Fuelly the new RAV4 hybrid in my opinion is far superior in all respect to the Mitsubishi PHEV which is really becoming outdated technology. I am not due to change my current Ford Kuga diesel 150 powershift until 30/05/2020, I will be looking at Excel 4WD hopefully the availability will improve.

If it helps, I can offer some real world fuel stats from my 2019 Excel AWD hybrid, both solo and towing 1600Kg caravan. Car received 3rd May.

I record usage on brim to brim readings.

Mileage at last top up  2342

Towing mpg av.25.6 over 625 miles, last tow 28.4 mpg over 159 miles

Solo mpg 49.0 over 1717 miles, last solo 49.82 mpg over 442 miles

The mpg is improving as the car loosens up, I now regularly get 50+mpg on journeys. 

I don't drive purely for economy, but try to be economical within the needs of the traffic I am in.

These stats are a huge improvement over my previous 2018 Rav4 hybrid, about 25%, and I am sure this is helped by the seemingly much more responsive engine/motor/battery management software as well as the other improvements.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, DaveKA said:

If it helps, I can offer some real world fuel stats from my 2019 Excel AWD hybrid, both solo and towing 1600Kg caravan. Car received 3rd May.

I record usage on brim to brim readings.

Mileage at last top up  2342

Towing mpg av.25.6 over 625 miles, last tow 28.4 mpg over 159 miles

Solo mpg 49.0 over 1717 miles, last solo 49.82 mpg over 442 miles

The mpg is improving as the car loosens up, I now regularly get 50+mpg on journeys. 

I don't drive purely for economy, but try to be economical within the needs of the traffic I am in.

These stats are a huge improvement over my previous 2018 Rav4 hybrid, about 25%, and I am sure this is helped by the seemingly much more responsive engine/motor/battery management software as well as the other improvements.

Dave

Thanks Dave, just the sort of "real world" info I was after, valid for me as I to will be in an Excel Awd when it gets here.... 

Anyone else have this sort of figures available?