Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New 2019 RAV4 HSD fuel economy ?

HSDish

2 hours ago, DaveKA said:

If it helps, I can offer some real world fuel stats from my 2019 Excel AWD hybrid, both solo and towing 1600Kg caravan. Car received 3rd May.

I record usage on brim to brim readings.

Mileage at last top up  2342

Towing mpg av.25.6 over 625 miles, last tow 28.4 mpg over 159 miles

Solo mpg 49.0 over 1717 miles, last solo 49.82 mpg over 442 miles

The mpg is improving as the car loosens up, I now regularly get 50+mpg on journeys. 

I don't drive purely for economy, but try to be economical within the needs of the traffic I am in.

These stats are a huge improvement over my previous 2018 Rav4 hybrid, about 25%, and I am sure this is helped by the seemingly much more responsive engine/motor/battery management software as well as the other improvements.

Dave

Dave the towing figures are very similar to my Ford Kuga 150 diesel automatic, however your solo figures are much better than my Kuga, I must am really impressed with real life figures. 

• Like 1

The figures from the Honest John Real MPG are close the same which are being mentioned on this post

• Thanks 1

I've found the figures I'm getting from full tank to full tank calculations are much more accurate on my RAV4 (about 1½-2% optimistic on average so far) than any other Toyotas I've logged over the last 19 years/350,000 miles or so.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Can anyone shed some light on real world mpg and full tank range for 2 wheel drive versions of the Rav? I have a 2WD Design on order which is due in January after being delayed from its original planed delivery of October. 

Many thanks

Michael

Based on my 2 test drives in a Dynamic 2WD with Panoramic (heavier) roof, the second test being over 2 days, I think the figures will be very similar.

Some Toyota blogs suggested the AWD would be about 2 mpg worse than the 2WD, but that hasn't been matched by my experience, as so far after 7 fills, my AWD Excel has been very closely matching the displayed figures on the test car (which admittedly was over a much shorter distance, but covered very similar driving to my norm).

The AWD carries a little extra weight, but also benefits from extra regeneration from the rear motor/generator, which may partly explain why it's not more noticeably worse.

My tank range could be between 614 and 659 miles IF the tank holds what the manual says and IF it's as  full as I think it is, but based on miles covered plus what the car's computer estimates is remaining the range has been between 552 and 587.  I'm assuming the car's estimate and the appearance of the low fuel warning light allow for a significant safety factor, and it's certainly not a good idea to run out of fuel in a Hybrid.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, PeteB said:

... I'm assuming the car's estimate and the appearance of the low fuel warning light allow for a significant safety factor, and it's certainly not a good idea to run out of fuel in a Hybrid.

Based on my experience of 4.3 and 4.4 diesels, Toyota take a rather conservative view of fuel level. Both had/have 60L tanks - typically I fill after the low fuel light comes on and rarely get more that 45L into the tank. If I drive until the range remaining becomes zero (or the car gives up telling me that there is range remaining) there'll still be around 10L left in the tank. I've not been foolhardy enough to take the experiment to the absolute limit! 😄 But I think that this is consistent with your experience ...

22 hours ago, PeteB said:

My tank range could be between 614 and 659 miles IF the tank holds what the manual says and IF it's as  full as I think it is, but based on miles covered plus what the car's computer estimates is remaining the range has been between 552 and 587.  I'm assuming the car's estimate and the appearance of the low fuel warning light allow for a significant safety factor, and it's certainly not a good idea to run out of fuel in a Hybrid.

There have been suggestions from the US that the electronic systems fitted to the tank do not allow it to be fully filled up because they force automatic cut off at the pumps by airlocking the tank which has an electronically controlled breather. Of course this might not apply to European models. Apparently if you are very patient much more fuel can be trickled in to the point where it overflows but that's what I normally do anyway ( a biker's habit). I suppose if the gauge reads full you have to believe its close enough.

For 30-40 years I've followed the practice of filling after the clicks until I can just see fuel in the pipe.  This is partly to minimise number of trips to the petrol station, but also to try to normalise my mpg calculations.  Typically it gives me around 50 extra miles per tank.

On most cars I've owned I've done over 100 miles before the gauge starts to move, and in the case of the old fashioned dial on the RAV4 the needle points to 110% until about 120 miles when it 'only' shows 100%.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 8/27/2019 at 12:52 PM, PeteB said:

For 30-40 years I've followed the practice of filling after the clicks until I can just see fuel in the pipe.  This is partly to minimise number of trips to the petrol station, but also to try to normalise my mpg calculations.  Typically it gives me around 50 extra miles per tank.

On most cars I've owned I've done over 100 miles before the gauge starts to move, and in the case of the old fashioned dial on the RAV4 the needle points to 110% until about 120 miles when it 'only' shows 100%.

Is that 47.4 UK MPG Your updated average fuelconsumption until now ?

Guess You are a carefull driver so maybe those mpg figures are hard to beat ? 🙂

37 minutes ago, HSDish said:

Is that 47.4 UK MPG Your updated average fuelconsumption until now ?

Guess You are a carefull driver so maybe those mpg figures are hard to beat ? 🙂

Yes, that's every fill since new in June last year over 9,300 miles (15,000 km).  Until October the average stayed around 52 UK mpg, and has dropped with the colder weather.  This last 6 weeks with on lockdown I've only been doing about 2-3 miles a week, so the next tankful will be horrible.

I do drive carefully, but plenty of people beat my mpg figures with a particular car.  As well as weather and driving style, a lot depends on local geography and traffic conditions, and especially types of journey undertaken.  My last Gen 4 Prius averaged 63½ mpg, but on an ideal 250 mile round trip it could do better than 80!  So if almost all my driving was that type of journey, my average would be nearly 25% better.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PeteB said:

Yes, that's every fill since new in June last year over 9,300 miles (15,000 km).  Until October the average stayed around 52 UK mpg, and has dropped with the colder weather.  This last 6 weeks with on lockdown I've only been doing about 2-3 miles a week, so the next tankful will be horrible.

I do drive carefully, but plenty of people beat my mpg figures with a particular car.  As well as weather and driving style, a lot depends on local geography and traffic conditions, and especially types of journey undertaken.  My last Gen 4 Prius averaged 63½ mpg, but on an ideal 250 mile round trip it could do better than 80!  So if almost all my driving was that type of journey, my average would be nearly 25% better.

Thanks againfor Your helpfull information.