Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tapping when accelerating

Seb lister

Hi all I'm a new member.

I have bought a toyota estima 2.4 petrol today and all was well for about 10 miles.

It then started tapping when accelerating and has got gradually louder and at one point the engine management light came on  for about 10 seconds.

Oil was fine when I bought it but waiting for it to cool down before I check again.

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

Moved to the Toyota Estima forum.

Hi Seb...difficult to diagnose but would suggest your first port of call would be a code read (diagnostic trouble code) to see if there is anything logged...might be worth checking the oil pressure.

What mileage has it done.?...the Estima is generally a reliable and long lived vehicle.

Your Estima will be a timing chain..not belt..so worth a thought if mileage is high.?

As RUToyota said, first thing would be to check what is logged in the car's ECU, if the EML came on then the error should be stored.

Another thing is, there are many different sounds the cars make but generally a trained ear will have an idea of where to look when hearing it.

There is tapping, knocking, nailing, pinging, slapping, etc, etc. Also what matters is where the sound is coming from and what is done during the sound appearing. It it's definitely coming from the engine side and is felt when accelerating then I'd guess it's bad news, but since the EML came on and it's a petrol it might be that the knock sensor has detected a knock in a cylinder? Not too familiar with petrols but I think this can be caused by spark plugs going bad.

10 hours ago, RUToyota said:

Hi Seb...difficult to diagnose but would suggest your first port of call would be a code read (diagnostic trouble code) to see if there is anything logged...might be worth checking the oil pressure.

What mileage has it done.?...the Estima is generally a reliable and long lived vehicle.

Your Estima will be a timing chain..not belt..so worth a thought if mileage is high.?

Thanks it's a 2001 and only done 120k so o didn't think it was to bad.

Got a mechanic taking a look at it tomorrow so hopefully won't be to bad but with 7 children and 4 grandchildren funds are tight just after xmas

120k miles is nothing on these buses (assuming a good history of course).....so let's hope it's something easily fixable...and preferably inexpensive..lol

Let us know how you get on...and good luck.

Well he has looked at it and the engine needs to be stripped down and in his words financially not worth it. Good buy.

I would like to continue with the estima's though so will have to start saving to get another one

So it ended up being the rod bearings or something else? I guess rod/main bearings are the most likely culprit with those symptoms.

I'm sorry this has happened to you, at such an early age it's either a faulty component from the factory or the previous owner didn't care one bit about the car.

Did you buy it from private owner?

That's a shame, Seb....and certainly not typical of these buses, particularly at that mileage.

I can only assume that it hasn't been cared for very well in the past....did you do the usual MOT history checks to make sure the mileage history looked sound.?

Depending where and how you bought it, you might have some come back with the seller.

Bad luck, fella.