Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dash Cam wiring

Raino Könönen

I´m planning to install a Dash Cam. I´m thinking that the nearest place to find 12V DC is the rear view mirror. It would be rather easy to power the Dash Cam from it´s  cable using a 12V/5V Micro usb converter. I`m just wondering how much power can I take from the mirror 12V cable for the camera. I Have a 2014 Avensis Diesel 2.0. I guess that the camera might need max  3W power which means maybe 200-300 mA. Other this kind of installations can be seen on Youtube. Any comments or suggestions for Avensis?

Thanks, Raino

Hi,

You need to check with your Cameras specifications, mine states 12v via a 2A fuse or 5v at 1.5A.

Most suggests a connection to the fuse box via a piggy back connector , easy enough to hide the cable under the door seal and headlining.

A possible problem with your idea is that power point may remain live when the ignition is off, so the camera will continue to run when parked.

001307.jpg

I think that the size of the fuse don´t tell much about the constant use of the current. Well, the light on the rear view mirror turns off when the car is switched off, so I don´t think that´s a problem. Unfortenately the camera specs just tells the size of the fuse - but I have found some measurements other people have done, and they tell the cam needs approx. 2-3 W depending on model. I´m planning to use the Xiaomi 70Mai Car Dash Cam and:

image.png.2e4c4d997511ff6da02c6307ae4819ce.png

Hi,

Have you bought  that dash cam yet ?  - might have some info if not.

If you use that power converter  , where would you put it , would look odd on the roof  ?

I haven´t bougth the camera yet - thinking about eBay. The Power converter fits well inside the plastic channel which leads to the mirror, converter is just 12 mm high and 26 mm wide.

Tell me about the camera if there is something new....

Hi,

Well I have had a couple of the cheaper Chinese car cams and they are not that reliable and understanding the controls is rather difficult.

Not sure if you are in the UK ?   but here the Nextbase 212G is on sale for £50 as a complete kit; got one just before Christmas, and it works great.

Its so straight forwards to use, clear English controls /manual  and has GPS so it records your location and speed, what the insurers need, plus its got the very easy magnetic mount so you can  quickly unplug it etc rather than leave it on display when parked in dubious places.

The standard kit just plugs into a cig light socket or you can buy their hard wire kit if you cannot make a simple direct connection.

Don't mistake it for the standard 212 which does not have GPS

Though Argos say 'Clearance' I checked with Nextbase and it is a current model.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8624866

• 4 years later...

Old thread resurrection, same issue as the OP, have the converter but need to make up a small harness using the rear view mirror autodip power cable, there are three cables in a 10 pin connector, its very small and i cant find them anywhere. Does anyone know what brands they use and possible sources of connectors

rgds

pme

17 minutes ago, pme said:

Old thread resurrection, same issue as the OP, have the converter but need to make up a small harness using the rear view mirror autodip power cable, there are three cables in a 10 pin connector, its very small and i cant find them anywhere. Does anyone know what brands they use and possible sources of connectors

rgds

pme

Christopher you could try these type of connectors, I have them but not used them yet and looks easy to use.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374276848407

and video how to use

Thanks, but the wires are tiny and I would like to do a proper job with a small t harness. Seems that the connector brands are impossible to identify. I think they are sumitomo 0;.7mm pitch, but so far failed to find anyone in the uk that sells them. Aliexpress is a complete scam and you end up with all sorts of incorrect bits

POSI-TAP 12V ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR 6 PACK - TAP IN TO ONE WIRE WITHOUT TOOLS

image.thumb.jpeg.d8adab975c707c89d9c877b3568f1207.jpeg

Much neater and good for fine wires. I’ve used them on bikes and cars, apply a little grease to keep any corrosion at bay. They come in several sizes so make sure you get the smallest.

on my Prius I connected to the dome light. By the way the Chinese power supply shown in the previous thread will blank DAB reception. I had several months if trying to find out what had happened, what was a strong signal faded away after a few miles up the road, TomTom or Nextbase power units work well. 

• 2 months later...

Mine is Nextbase which comes with a lighter power connector. I hid the cable along the edge cover (you could just simply slightly pull out a bit such that you can push the cable behind the cover), then the cable connects to the lighter power. No need to touch the fuse box.

FYI: 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links