Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Right dash indicator arrow light has mind of its own ???

Lenny67

This has to be the most annoying problem EVER with my Aygo 2010. 

The indicators outside the car work fine. The hazards work fine. The green arrow on the dash display works to turn left but the green arrow to turn right works when it feels like. Iv'e checked all the fuses, taken the instrument cluster out to check the wires etc. It worked perfect for a few days. then stopped flashing completely.

After instrument cluster put back in it's working but really DIM ???...... 

Is there anyone out there with a solution. Buying a new instrument cluster might fix it (maybe LED on the way out) but can;t be sure. Could it be the hazard switch or even the indicator stalk ???.... Please help... John.

Thanks in advance.

I'd look for poor soldering (dry joints) around that LED and all that it connects to. The fact physically disturbing the panel (removing it) fixed the issue for a while adds to that theory.

And yes, its possible the LED is faulty although that would not be the first suspect here based on what you describe. 

Edited by Mooly
Missed word 'that would not be the first suspect'

33 minutes ago, Mooly said:

I'd look for poor soldering (dry joints) around that LED and all that it connects to. The fact physically disturbing the panel (removing it) fixed the issue for a while adds to that theory.

And yes, its possible the LED is faulty although that would be the first suspect here based on what you describe. 

The LED is inside the instrument cluster and its difficult to get to plus the fact I'm not sure I'm confident enough to un solder the LED then resolder a new one in its place. I was hoping someone has heard of this problem and has a fix. I can buy a second hand cluster off eBay for £35 ish but I'm just not sure what the actual problem is. Thank you so much for your quick reply. 

You're welcome. I missed a vital word out above, it should have read  'that would not be the first suspect'. If you can get the problem to change by poking/pressing/prodding the panel then its more than likely a poor soldered joint.

Good luck. 

• 2 weeks later...
The LED is inside the instrument cluster and its difficult to get to plus the fact I'm not sure I'm confident enough to un solder the LED then resolder a new one in its place. I was hoping someone has heard of this problem and has a fix. I can buy a second hand cluster off ebay for £35 ish but I'm just not sure what the actual problem is. Thank you so much for your quick reply. 

Hi Lenny67
I’m having the same issue along with my hazard light not showing either but they all work on the outside.
Can you tell me what you’re searching for on fleabay as I’m looking doe the route of replacing the cluster?

Hi, just type in aygo 2010 (in my case) instrument cluster... theres a few on e-bay.

In your case I would seriously check your fuses. To have both the hazard light on the switch and the indicator light on the

instrument cluster not working together is way too out there. If you hear the clicking as normal I would think of the actual hazard switch

or relay. Seriously swapping your instrument cluster wont help with the hazard light on the switch... good luck.

I'm still trying to sort mine ?????? if I manage to fix it I will let you know. 

Cheers fella. I can hear the indicators working and both the tell tale lights were working until a few months ago, one of them did flash a couple of times today but then disappeared again[emoji1750]‍[emoji3603]

So along with that and having a paddling pool in my spare wheel well owning an Aygo is going well lol

F5 fuse is for the hazard warning lights, instrument cluster warning lights and direction indicators. It's in the engine fuse box 10 amp. 

The hazard lights work on the outside of the car and so do the directional indicators, it’s the tell tale lights that have stopped working, it started with the near side tell tale stopping ever now and again and then it stopped completely and the off side went the same way.
All the other instrument warning lights seem to be working fine, at the moment.
I’m guessing replacing the fuse is the cheapest route.

At the moment I have only the right turn tell tale light not working. I looked at the cluster and just pushed anything back I thought Could be loose. Funny thing is the !Removed! thing worked for a few flashes then worked for a while but was dimmer then stopped altogether. I'm going to unclip the whole instrument cluster next time check every wire and connector blocks then replace it. If that doesn't work I will find I out if it's an mot fail. Leave if not but if its a fail replace whole cluster and pray that's the cause. The actual light inside are LEDs and a !Removed! to change. Sealed units. Same as inside hazard.... 

• 2 months later...

Have you managed to resolve this issue Lenny?
I’m going to try the fuse and see if that works, fingers crossed.

It's not the fuses, it's the wiring to the LEDs or the LEDs themselves. I took the cluster off and refitted. All went well for a while then stopped again. It got through mot without a problem though. Unless your expert with a soldering iron I would choose replacing the cluster. FIRST I would recommend removing it then checking all connectors etc as it could be a loose block at the back. All you will need is a Phillips screwdriver and 10mm socket and PATIENCE. Good luck. 

• Like 1

That’ll be tomorrow’s job then, as just tried the fuses and that made no difference.
Does you hazard light tell tale work, as in does the big red bottom flash when pressed?

I have found out the long way that the warning lights on Aygos (or at least the Mk1) can do real random things.

I had an issue on mine where, when on dipped beam, the blue high beam warning lamp would come on (along with the green headlight one), very dimly at first, then get a little brighter after 15 mins or so. Seemed very odd and I couldnt work out what was causing it. Sometimes it wouldnt come on at all but always reappeared at some random point. I eventually traced it to a very small amount of water that was getting into the 3 pin headlight plug. Unlikely to happen on a stock car as my original 3 pin plugs are away from the headlight as I have an LED conversion but just thought I would put it out there. Dodgy earths can present very odd things sometimes!

• 2 weeks later...

My right hand telltale light has started working again and in the dark you can see the left hand one is flashing dimly. So I’m going to try reseating the plugs in the back of the instrument cluster to see if they have just shaken loose.
If that doesn’t work then I’m going to replace the instrument cluster, is there anything I need to know before doing so?

You will find this very easy. A Phillips screwdriver for the two screws either side of the steering wheel. Remove the facia. Then two 10mm bolts each side of the cluster. Then it slides up. It will look like spaghetti and scary but the plugs can only fit its own socket. Hope this works you. Mine has to be a "dry" solder joint so I'm learning a bit about testing first. Like I mentioned before mine passed its mot last month with problem so its become a project now. Please let me know how you get on. John. 

You will find this very easy. A Phillips screwdriver for the two screws either side of the steering wheel. Remove the facia. Then two 10mm bolts each side of the cluster. Then it slides up. It will look like spaghetti and scary but the plugs can only fit its own socket. Hope this works you. Mine has to be a "dry" solder joint so I'm learning a bit about testing first. Like I mentioned before mine passed its mot last month with problem so its become a project now. Please let me know how you get on. John. 

Cheers John

Removed the Instrument cluster, had a bit of a fettle and it seems to be down to dry solder joints.
I’ve ordered a replacement off of flea bay which ended up costing me £85[emoji15][emoji15][emoji15], so now waiting for that to turn up.
Whilst I was at it I played around with the hazard light switch as there was no flashing light when the button was pressed. I ordered a new one from Fleabay, have just fitted it and there’s still no flashing light[emoji848][emoji848]
Is the hazard light switch supposed to flash when it’s activated?

• 3 years later...

Any update about how did it went after swapping with an instrument cluster from eBay ?

On 4/23/2019 at 3:28 PM, Sharkus123 said:

Removed the Instrument cluster, had a bit of a fettle and it seems to be down to dry solder joints.
I’ve ordered a replacement off of flea bay which ended up costing me £85[emoji15][emoji15][emoji15], so now waiting for that to turn up.
Whilst I was at it I played around with the hazard light switch as there was no flashing light when the button was pressed. I ordered a new one from Fleabay, have just fitted it and there’s still no flashing light[emoji848][emoji848]
Is the hazard light switch supposed to flash when it’s activated?

I also brought a replacement instrument cluster from eBay. But km millage was not matching plus car is making beeps as if its not accepting the swapped part. Any help to solve this will be appreciated

• 1 year later...

hi, new here, silly question but how do i check in the instrument cluster the left hand indicator bulb have changed the stalk but the left hand indicator is very dim the right one is perfect , i just want to take out the bulb to check,if i pull out the plug does the bulb come out that way? thanks terry