Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Incoming calls from contacts not showing caller ID

DJ Robi

I synced my iPhone with my Yaris so all my phone contacts are now in the car contacts. However when I receive an incoming call from someone in my contacts it doesn’t show the caller name on the media/navigation screen in the car, it just shows the number. As I don’t memorise everyone’s number, I obviously have no idea who’s calling me! Please can someone tell me if there’s a quick fix for this?

Hi Dee, welcome to TOC 🙂

Do you know if you have Touch or Touch 2 (I suspect that the changeover for Yaris was probably ~2014)?

Also, which exact iPhone do you have?

3 hours ago, DJ Robi said:

I synced my iPhone with my Yaris so all my phone contacts are now in the car contacts. However when I receive an incoming call from someone in my contacts it doesn’t show the caller name on the media/navigation screen in the car, it just shows the number. As I don’t memorise everyone’s number, I obviously have no idea who’s calling me! Please can someone tell me if there’s a quick fix for this?

I am so tempted to say "easy, buy an Android phone!" but that would be being frivolous lol! No, as Scott said, it is going to depend on which type of head unit you have. The Yaris that I bought in October 2014 had a Touch 2 unit which didn't have such a problem (with an Android phone anyway - I won't give Apple products house room - overpriced and underspec'd).

Ok. Supplementary question: is this the first time you have tried it with this car/phone combination?

Are you connecting your phone via bluetooth or a cable? I have a suspicion that this may be an Apple issue (permissions etc.) but like Colin I too am an Android user.

Finally able to test my setup.

Calling from iPhone SE to iPhone X and both contact name and number appeared on touch screen.

I’d be tempted to completely remove phone from settings, re add and re import contacts.

Yes Graham but was that with the iPhone X connected to the car or the iPhone SE (sounds like you had the iPhone X connected to the car the way you describe it which is not how Dee has it...). Nevertheless, your suggestion sounds like a good one to start with...

Yes, iPhone X connected to car.

should’nt make any difference though, both are on latest iOS version.

I was reluctant to try it the other way round in case (somehow) I messd up my existing setup !

3 hours ago, Graham47 said:

Finally able to test my setup.

Calling from iPhone SE to iPhone X and both contact name and number appeared on touch screen.

I’d be tempted to completely remove phone from settings, re add and re import contacts.

You will have Touch 2 though & Dee says that she has the older Touch (but your suggestion seems worth a try).

Whoops !   Missed that....still getting used in (differing) yaris specs.

There used to be a matrix in pdf form on Toyota's UK website showing tested compatibility with a range of phones but I can't find it now... As I recall, from iPhone 4 onwards, the Touch unit was not 100% compatible in various ways but mainly as regards translating text messages etc...

Hi guys, thank you so much for all your replies. I am connecting via bluetooth. Yes, it’s the only/first time i’ve paired the phone with the car. When I make outgoing calls it shows the name of who i’m calling, it’s only incoming that’s the issue. I will check the Toyota site for compatibility, (thanks for the link Colin) and will remove and re-import as Graham suggested. 

Regards.

In “settings” somewhere there is an option to “import contacts”. Perhaps try re importing.

I don’t know for sure if it happens automatically when you first pair. (It does when the phone subsequently re pairs each time)...

Dee how up to date is the mapping/system software?

Hi Dee, yes as Graham said about reimporting your phone contacts but there is a possibility you will end up with every phone number showing twice on your list of contacts once with the number only and secondly with the person's name so f your phone numbers are stored in your cars head unit you may need to delete them all first before you do a 2nd import, this means when someone calls you it can go to either the phone number only or the persons name instead so I suggest you see if your car has it's own 'library' of stored phone numbers, good luck! 

Hi Dee,

I have an iPhone 7 and incoming calls show my callers details if they are save in my phones contacts using bluetooth, I have not uploaded my contacts to my car which is 09/14 Yaris Hybrid I hasen to add.

Dave

• 1 year later...

Iam working at toyota service. Try to change the number of your contacts without Addition of an overseas number.

I mean , if the contact with +92705... good luck.

• 6 months later...

Im having same issue with a Toyota Rav4. 

I was having the issue with an iPhone 7 Plus, after that I was trying with another iPhone from my son, an iPhone 11 Pro an it works always, so it seems that is something different between those configurations. 

I just bought a new iPhone 11 pro to and after do all my configuration, and having the same issue, so it seems that is not related with my old iPhone. Im living in Spain, so I was trying to add country code to my contacts and it works. 

The most funny thing is my son have same iPhone with same version as me, with contacts without country code and it works. 

So 2 small notes here: 

- What a bad phone recognition if people needs to add country code to all their contacts

- Having customer troubleshooting with these issues is very annoying,  we are in 2021, so having issue doing phone recognition is a very bad user experience 

I will like to see a Toyota answer about how to fix this, My son has a BMW and this is not happening, maybe the error was buy a Toyota...

6 minutes ago, Pocho23 said:

I will like to see a Toyota answer about how to fix this

Bear in mind that Toyota Owners Club has no association with Toyota, so if you are expecting Toyota to respond to questions on these forums, they won't.

• 1 year later...

Old thread, but I'm having this issue too.

2021 Corolla. Phone shows contacts, car shows contacts in list but not when people call me.

Just number and UNKNOWN.

I've deleted the bt pairing and redone it but still the same.

Have a look at this thread

3 hours ago, Big_D said:

Have a look at this thread

I'm not sure what the issue is, mine are all +44. I could try removing the +44 bit.

It worked fine in my GT 86.

Yes, remove the +44 - This is what worked for me

• Like 1