Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Starlet won't start - battery issue?

Kristeva

Hi all,

My Starlet died the other day. Just checked the Battery with a multimeter and it measures 12.38V. Am I right in assuming this is undercharged (approx. 70%) and mostly likely causing the issue?

I checked my keys and the fuses. It failed to start a few backs but I waited a while and tried again and it started so I thought nothing of it.

Thanks.

Toyota Starlet 1996 - 1999.

Define "died" please.  And give us more info about the non starting - is it turning over or not etc.

As Paul says, we need more information.

Based on the little you've given us, it could be either the Battery, bad Battery connections, or starter motor playing up before finally giving up.  I'll throw in another less likely possibility of a suspect ignition switch, but more info please  🙂

Hi alan

I got in the car one evening and it wouldn't start, I hadn't been using it much these last few months. Like I said it happened maybe 2 or 3 weeks before very briefly but I managed to get it going on 2nd attempt so thought nothing of it.

The engine turns over. I just tried it 5 minutes back and it almost fired up when I pumped the accelerator a little, but then nothing at all on subsequent attempts.

Lights, dash lights, etc are working but I noticed the interior light dims when I try and start it.

Cables to the Battery are clean, etc

Is there anything else I can check?

19 minutes ago, Notoyboy said:

As Paul says, we need more information.

Based on the little you've given us, it could be either the battery, bad battery connections, or starter motor playing up before finally giving up.  I'll throw in another less likely possibility of a suspect ignition switch, but more info please  🙂

Hi Martin

Thanks for the response. There doesn't seem to be any corrosion on the Battery connections. It's pretty clean.

Like I said to Alan, the engine is turning. It almost fired when I last tried but very briefly.

Is there anything else to check?

I forgot to mention the car seems to be turning over at normal rate

I was thinking that Battery would be a bit down if you're not using car very much, but if the engine's spinning/turning over as fast usual, then doesn't sound like the battery's the culprit. 

I would try cleaning the plugs, simply and no cost.

Usually if the lights dim while trying to start it would suggest a low Battery, and yours isn't perfect at 12.78v.  However you say the engine is turning over at the normal rate, where if the Battery was a bit flat it should turn over a bit slower or restrained.  Can you try jump starting it and see if it starts easy?  If so then it's probably your Battery.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I have exactly the same problem. My Battery just runs flat. Netstar said it was not their system that uses the power and toyota after a week of testing could not find the source that drowns the Battery power. Toyota said they ate still looking into the problem and will continue to help us when we have a problem with the battery 

Louise