Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota's extened warranty.

mrpj

On 1st March it is the fifth anniversary of my Yaris' first registration and the end of the 5 year warranty. I am planning on keeping the car for a while longer and considering Toyota's extended warranty. I do have written conformation that the CVT is covered in spite of that not being mentioned in their list of what is covered.

Does anyone have any experience of his warranty? e.g. have you made a claim using it and was that claim successful? We do read that extended warranties are usually not worth it, primarily third party car warranties where every effort is made to wriggle out of any claims. e.g. not covered, wear and tear etc..

Is the Toyota warranty any different?

• Like 1

I took out a Toyota warranty but have not had to use it yet. I got 2 years for the price of one at £354. The actual warranty terms says everything is covered except for the stated exceptions - mainly wear and tear type stuff IIRC, but not CVT or electrics. Warranty provider is Toyota and it is a "Manufacturer equivalent cover ". 

Bear in mind that the Toyota Extended Warranty incl. Toyota Roadside Asistance for the term of the cover so if the 2 years for the price of 1 deal is still available that is worth ~£150 on it's own making the cost of the warranty effectively only £100 per year.  TEW is as good an extended warranty as you are going to get & better than most.

On the other hand a petrol Yaris is normally as reliable a car as you are going to get.

Ultimately it is up to you as to whether you are willing to pay something for a little peace of mind & where you set that level at for you.

The warranty is transferrable to the new owner if you decide to sell your car (or refundable on a full year basis).

18 hours ago, Mike J. said:

but not CVT

I asked them about that because in the what is covered list manual transmission is there but not CVT.

Hence the below quoted from my initial post.

23 hours ago, mrpj said:

I do have written conformation that the CVT is covered in spite of that not being mentioned in their list of what is covered.

Copied from an e-mail response re the CVT being covered.

" Hi,

I can confirm that the transmission fitted to your vehicle will be covered for mechanical failures by the Extended Warranty.

Thanks,

Claims"

19 minutes ago, mrpj said:

I asked them about that because in the what is covered list manual transmission is there but not CVT.

Hence the below quoted from my initial post.

Copied from an e-mail response re the CVT being covered.

" Hi,

I can confirm that the transmission fitted to your vehicle will be covered for mechanical failures by the Extended Warranty.

Thanks,

Claims"

I would print that out and store it with the V5 :)

When I said 'but not CVT' it was in relation to the exceptions!!!!!! The CVT and electrics are thus covered by default as they are not in the exceptions list.

Good to know, thanks! One more year for me to consider.

22 hours ago, Mike J. said:

When I said 'but not CVT' it was in relation to the exceptions!!!!!! The CVT and electrics are thus covered by default as they are not in the exceptions list.

Not wishing to come accross as argumentative Mike but CVT is not listed in the what's covered. Therefore to turn it on it's head, in relation to the list of what is covered, it is not because only manual gearbox is listed as covered. They really should make it clearer. 

I have been through the Ts and Cs of the warranty, as have you, and there is no mention of the CVT there in either what is exluded or what is covered. Mainly wear and tear items are, as you say, excluded.

I have further e-mailed for a second confirmation from them re the CVT. I'll copy their reply if and when I reeive one.

As has already been mentioned, the petrol Yaris is ultra reliable so I'm leaning towards not taking out the extended warranty.

I read through a Toyota blog about the warranty and in the comments someone asked the very same question re the CVT. The Toyota answer was totally vague and stated to consult with your dealer to check! Not a yes or no but a sloping shoulders response.

2 hours ago, mrpj said:

Not wishing to come accross as argumentative Mike but CVT is not listed in the what's covered. Therefore to turn it on it's head, in relation to the list of what is covered, it is not because only manual gearbox is listed as covered. They really should make it clearer. 

I have been through the Ts and Cs of the warranty, as have you, and there is no mention of the CVT there in either what is exluded or what is covered. Mainly wear and tear items are, as you say, excluded.

My guess is that you haven't got the full details. My warranty says:

"Protected part - each mechanical and electrical part of the 'protected vehicle' which is not an 'excluded part' …"

"Excluded parts - body, paint, trim, consumables …."

Seems fine to me.

I bought an extended warranty for my Rav 4 up until last year. when it was 12 years old. I paid £484 for 2 years and it’s paid for itself over the years. 2 years ago it failed on a few bits on the MOT and those were covered too by the warranty. I sold the Rav a few months ago and was able to transfer the warranty to the new owner for £20 and it was a good selling point too. In my opinion I would buy it.

• Like 1

I did eventually receive a reply re the Extended Warranty, lost the e-mail.🙄

I get what you are saying Mike and I'm not being purposely awkward. You are correct re the Ts & Cs and the exclusions. I would categorise the CVT as a mechanical component, i.e. has to be covered.

However, the reply I received was very non commital and vague - must have been written by a Polititian. It stated that the degree of cover depended on which level was paid for. I thought there was one level, one Extended Warranty to cover Toyota vehicles, dependent on model, current mileage etc., which met their criteria? https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/warranty/extended-warranty

This looks to be the only one on offer? Two options, £345 limited to 30k miles over two years or £450 unlimited mileage over 12 months (for my Yaris). Maybe this is what the e-mail referred to? The two years MOT and Roadside in addition look attractive. Plus, as bluerav4 says, MOT failure rectification too.

I'm still on the fence.😎