Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch Warranty

Joregan75

Hi All 

Just wondering has anybody had any luck getting their clutch replaced under warranty . We had a 2015 Toyota corrolla with 40000miles on the clock , we bought it only 5 months ago at a main dealership , we have put only 10000 miles since we bought it . We were told today that the clutch has gone and they won't cover it under our 1 year warranty as it's down to wear . 

They want €800 to replace the clutch .

My question is has anybody had luck getting a replacement under warranty ?

I think it's a disgrace that the garage won't stand over it considering we only have it 5 months and have only done 10000miles in it . Also is it normal for a clutch to go after such low milage ? 

Thanks 

Hi,

Afraid as far as I know the Clutch is classed as a standard wear item like brakes and tyres and not covered by warranty, new or secondhand.

At UK Toyota dealers they  have two prices, the standard one, which yours sounds like and the lower cost Opti Fit which uses ( lets say) less expensive parts designed to compete with other high street garages; though no idea if your dealership offers this, but worth asking.

That said , you might find other garages offering a lot cheaper prices with decent generic parts being used like Blueprint etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Clutch life depends hugely on how its used.

40k already on the car and you have added another 10k in just 5 months, so 50k in total. That's probably not an unreasonable life in itself, particularly if the car has seen a lot of town centre stop start driving. There would be zero chance of a warranty claim with those figures imo. 

• Sad 1

Even on brand new, 0 miles cars, the clutch has a limited warranty across all brands. Often something like 6 months cover is provided by the new car warranty. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hi Mooly

No that's 40000 miles in total , we have done 10000 of those . We are getting the clutch done as I type and to be fair the garage have agreed to cover half the cost as we have been dealing with them for a good few years . So it should come in at €400 approx. 

Thanks 

The first Aygo/C1/Pug105 were requiring new clutches about 28k-30k, so you doing well at 40k it could be said. As far as I know neither of the manufacturers were up for warranty, even though the solution to the problem was fitting the larger clutch standard in the Yaris. So the saving of a few quid per manufactured ca cost the buyers a few hundred each!  

1 hour ago, Joregan75 said:

Hi Mooly

No that's 40000 miles in total , we have done 10000 of those . We are getting the clutch done as I type and to be fair the garage have agreed to cover half the cost as we have been dealing with them for a good few years . So it should come in at €400 approx. 

Thanks 

Getting a goodwill payment is great news, I certainly wouldn't have expected that outcome. Excellent!

My clutch bearing started making noises at 33,000 just outside the 30,000 guarantee period at that time, cost me over £500 at a Mr Clitch type garage and it is still going strong, touch wood, 16 years later at 150,000 miles.

Cripes, my wife's Volvo has done 110,000 miles and it's still good! Bit worrying Toyota clutches wear so quickly in comparison. My Corolla has done 60,000 miles and it sat unused for 6 years but even with that the clutch is still good (touch wood).

I had done 147k in my Yaris d4d and was still on the original clutch when I sold it

I would be furius. I've never replaced any clutch in any car, even high milage cars. Today a clutch is like exhaust pipes and shock absorbers, they never need replacing and often last the life time of the car. 

The main issue with a used car is that one can never be sure how well or otherwise a clutch has been treated by previous owners - ie whether it has been ridden, etc. The best clutch in the world may be affected by less than ideal driving practices over a period of time.