Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

M-o-t advisary, nearside rear parking brake efficency low.

Baron Leibniz

Hi all, I have just purchased a 2009 avensis tr, fsh, very happy with the car but was reading its last mot and saw an advisory for "nearside rear parking brake efficency low" Does anyone know what this means, corrective action etc? 

Thanks in advance for any assistance. 

Hi all, I have just purchased a 2009 avensis tr, fsh, very happy with the car but was reading its last mot and saw an advisory for "nearside rear parking brake efficency low" Does anyone know what this means, corrective action etc? 
Thanks in advance for any assistance. 

It means your handbrake needs adjusting, you should remove the rear discs and give them a blow out with a compressor , then give them a clean with brake cleaner.You will see at the bottom of the brake shoes there is a segregated wheel ,that’s the adjuster for your handbrake when you put the disc back on you can access the adjuster through the hole in the disc it has a rubber grommet covering it. Ps remember before you remove the discs slacken the handbrake from inside the car , remove the handbrake cover and slacken the nut 10 mm long socket.re adjust when done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When the MOT tester checked the brakes, the readings from the brake testing machine should have been noted. The brakes need a proper wheel off inspection!
Hopefully it's just the pads/caliper sliders. The cable is another item, but I don't have much knowledge on that. 
I would remove the pads and check that the piston cutouts are horizontal, so that the pins protruding from back of the pads are fit within the cutouts. I had problems with my rear brakes recently, and it was due to badly fitted rear pads. I fitted new pads, making sure that when I wound the pistons back (you need a lft and right handed brake rewind kit), the cutouts were horizontal to the capilers. The disks may need changing if heavily lipped and/or scored. Everything was lubed or copper greased when assembled. Once done, activate the EPB and hold for a few seconds. Do it a few times to set the pads. There should be no warnings or cautions. Mine had no problems this time, but the next day I plugged in a diagnostic reader to calibrated the EPB, and deleted the zero point calibrations, throwing cautions, warning and message regarding parking brake fault. This also stopped the auto release from working. Fixed that myself.
If you follow the basics, you should be fine.     

2 minutes ago, Kirk47 said:

It means your handbrake needs adjusting, you should remove the rear discs and give them a blow out with a compressor , then give them a clean with brake cleaner.You will see at the bottom of the brake shoes there is a segregated wheel ,that’s the adjuster for your handbrake when you put the disc back on you can access the adjuster through the hole in the disc it has a rubber grommet covering it. Ps remember before you remove the discs slacken the handbrake from inside the car , remove the handbrake cover and slacken the nut 10 mm long socket.re adjust when done

The OP car is the same as mine being a 2009 Avensis Mk3, is equipped with Electronic Parking Brake (EPB). So there is no conventional mechanical handbrake operating lever, like most cars. I have just explained what the OP can do.

Last Avensis I had was 2007, normal handbrake great car never had any trouble with it

• Like 1

Thank you guys for the responses, sounds like nothing major to worry about then. XD

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links