Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Hybrid owners, what MPG are you achieving?

jabberingmun

Title says it all, I'm interested in finding out the average MPG performance of your Yaris over time.

• Like 1

Using Fuelly. Com our averaged about 53mpg for the tank. Individual trips ranged from below 40 to 80 mpg. Short runs in winter produced the lowest mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Only had mine a week mix of short and long trips am getting 48.2 but is winter and an Yaris SR Sport 😁 was getting around the same out of my 1.5 manual petrol Yaris Icon, hopefully warmer weather and a tad lighter foot will push that up a lot. 

• Like 1

Sadly when you are demising the windscreen i Gulps fuel like there's no tomorrow in winter time. Best way is to get a window vac and remove the water that way. 😁

While using eco driving mode with the heating on the low 20's on Auto. it doesn't keep the engine running constantly.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Anthony Poli said:

Using Fuelly. Com our averaged about 53mpg for the tank. Individual trips ranged from below 40 to 80 mpg. Short runs in winter produced the lowest mpg.

I don't use that site, but pay attention to the Ave MPG display on the dash.  Sometimes, it's not been reset for months.  We seem to be getting circa 50mph though it has been down to 48mpg and as high as 55mpg.

Hills round here kill any fuel economy figures, though on a long run up the motorway, we'll get 65mpg+

Winter, plus hills, plus short runs are the lowest.

Mick.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Anthony Poli said:

Sadly when you are demising the windscreen i Gulps fuel like there's no tomorrow in winter time. Best way is to get a window vac and remove the water that way. 

Never ever have to demist the windows.  Never ever had to with the past two cars either due to having aircon.  Leave it on permanently, never turn it off, and it will dry out the car internally and the windows never mist up.

Mick.

• Like 3

Computer average is only 51mpg this month - mainly town driving.

• Like 2

Could be tempted back into a manual 1.5 petrol Yaris next time but then again in 7 to 10 years will you be able to even get a Yaris without it being a hybrid? good in a way because am liking the idea of Hybrid but price Vs MPG seems a close run thing over a normal 1.5 petrol or even a lot more closer run thing over a lighter weight Aygo with a 1lt engine? 

• Like 1

Our previous Yaris Sport averaged 50 mpg over the 3 years we had it, and the new Icon Tech is doing the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It makes your wonder if the Hybrid works more like a stop start system and when pulling away from traffic lights helping the MPG, loving the car all the same but would i pay the extra price over a 1lt or a 1.5? again only time will tell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter S said:

Our previous Yaris Sport averaged 50 mpg over the 3 years we had it, and the new Icon Tech is doing the same.

Since you have had experience with 2 different Yaris cars, would you recommend the hybrid model? I'm considering buying a 2014 model for around £9k.

Definitely, no gearbox or gear linkage issues, no clutches to go wrong and they are gentler on the brakes too due to the regen. Take a look at some of the YouTube vids about the drive train and you'll see how simple it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jabberingmun said:

Since you have had experience with 2 different Yaris cars, would you recommend the hybrid model? I'm considering buying a 2014 model for around £9k.

Ok, may I said it depends your needs and where the car will be driven mostly. If you live in a big city there is no doubt Hybrid is the one to choose simply because it’s automatic and it’s most efficient auto and easiest and nicest to drive in town. If you live in a village or small town with little or no traffic jams and if you are enjoying  driving manual than you have your answer, petrol manual, also if you are doing a lots of motorways petrol manual can do almost as good as the hybrid one. I am using my Auris Hybrid for my business driving and I am covering 1000+ miles every week mostly motorways average consumption around 50mpg winter and 60mpg summer, in the very cold I keep the car ready and ice running for hours and using heating a lot, not a big difference, maybe another 4-5mpg wasted but warm and cosy inside. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Peter S said:

Definitely, no gearbox or gear linkage issues, no clutches to go wrong and they are gentler on the brakes too due to the regen. Take a look at some of the YouTube vids about the drive train and you'll see how simple it is.

That's great to hear, the last used car that I bought (Skoda Citigo) had an engine failure just after 12 months forcing me to scrap it, so I'm being more careful this time around. I'm deciding between a Yaris Hybrid/Kia Picanto/Honda Jazz, so far Yaris seems to be the better option.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Ok, may I said it depends your needs and where the car will be driven mostly. If you live in a big city there is no doubt Hybrid is the one to choose simply because it’s automatic and it’s most efficient auto and easiest and nicest to drive in town.

I usually drive on busy roads with lots of traffic, I'm deciding between a Yaris Hybrid/Kia Picanto/Honda Jazz but I'm leaning more towards Yaris because of higher MPG and no road tax.

I usually drive on busy roads with lots of traffic, I'm deciding between a Yaris Hybrid/Kia Picanto/Honda Jazz but I'm leaning more towards Yaris because of higher MPG and no road tax.

Have you had any test drives?

From my own I found the Toyota hybrids easy to adapt to. On my 3rd hybrid now. 1st was a hen 1 Auris. 2nd was a Yaris hybrid and now a Auris TS.

While you maybe eager to find the best option for mpg, it might be worth thinking about the tank holds 30 litres with 5 as a reserve.
Some owners had managed nearly 500 miles out of a tank.

Out of the 3 cars you mentioned, my choice would be the Yaris.

1 hour ago, Peter S said:

Also, no belts anywhere, all pumps are electric - steering, water pump and servo. Heater and aircon work when petrol engine is off. Basically, the Toyota hybrids drive like full EVs but without range problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mike J and Peter S, thanks for them points too, only had my Hybrid a week or so 👍

• Like 1

Got my 2016 Yaris Icon Hybrid last July and since then my MPG has varied between 62 summer and 52 winter.  I do a lot of short trips around town and the occasional long trip involving motorway driving. I find the type of journey has little impact on consumption, temperature has the largest effect. MPG started to drop below 60 in November and is now steady at 52. I always calculate MPG from full tank to full tank though I find the trip computer in the car to be fairly accurate to within 1-2 MPG.

My previous Hyundai i20 Auto only managed 30-40 mpg and was useless on short trips.  The Yaris is a much nicer to drive as well.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, jabberingmun said:

I'm considering buying a 2014 model for around £9k.

Don't forget that these older hybrids pay zero VED!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mike J. said:

Yes, I was well aware of that when we bought ours!  Also, previous car was a 2011 Fiat500 Twinair with zero VED too.

Mick.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mike J. said:

Also, no belts anywhere, all pumps are electric - steering, water pump and servo. Heater and aircon work when petrol engine is off. Basically, the Toyota hybrids drive like full EVs but without range problems.

I guess once the technology improves, the Battery can be replaced with one that has higher capacity and thus making the car more of an EV.

I guess once the technology improves, the battery can be replaced with one that has higher capacity and thus making the car more of an EV.

You mean the plugin Prius [emoji12]

7 hours ago, Mike J. said:

Currently .... but which may not be the case if Government introduce further changes to VED rates.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Currently .... but which may not be the case if Government introduce further changes to VED rates.

• Haha 1