Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Hybrid owners, what MPG are you achieving?

jabberingmun

18 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Currently .... but which may not be the case if Government introduce further changes to VED rates.

Something which also might change is that the depreciation is around 15p per mile - main dealer purchase to WBAC prices. Three year old car to 6 year old. 15p plus 10p (fuel cost) per mile seems good to me.

On 1/25/2019 at 6:20 PM, jabberingmun said:

I guess once the technology improves, the battery can be replaced with one that has higher capacity and thus making the car more of an EV.

Is there or has there ever been, until now. or is there rumors of any "upgrade/replacement" Battery to Toyotas hybrid/PHEV models?

Exitingt thouhght

Is there or has there ever been, until now. or is there rumors of any "upgrade/replacement" battery to Toyotas hybrid/PHEV models?
Exitingt thouhght

Not officially from Toyota, in places like the USA. There were companies that offered to add extra batteries that you could only via the mains.

There was a motoring journalist that bought some second hand Prius batteries, that were charged at home and were linked to the original Battery system. Then in the middle of the night her car went up in flames. The insurance company didn’t pay out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Sad 1

About 53mpg in the winter, 58mpg in the summer.

I rarely turn the aircon off , the exception being pulling out on to the A628 at Woodhead Pass from Glossop towards Holmfirth where you have to eke out every single bit of horse power to avoid getting rear ended.

Also, never turn on Eco mode, don't like the drag and muted urge. 14cc226c2ad3c5dd2c8bc23f6eacdf07.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi Bill, was getting 48 mpg on mainly short regular trips and the odd long in my manual 1.5 Yaris Icon so hope can get my GR Sport around figures you say or around that, it is more fun going to work now 😁 especially coming back lol. 

5 hours ago, bill.belfield said:

I rarely turn the aircon off , the exception being pulling out on to the A628 at Woodhead Pass from Glossop towards Holmfirth where you have to eke out every single bit of horse power to avoid getting rear ended.

Does having the aircon on do much to the power available?

It's electrically driven, not taken off the engine.

Mick

• Like 1

Hi Bill, was getting 48 mpg on mainly short regular trips and the odd long in my manual 1.5 Yaris Icon so hope can get my GR Sport around figures you say or around that, it is more fun going to work now [emoji16] especially coming back lol. 

Who needs a game console [emoji2]
I sometimes use hybrid assistant and see how much of my journey I can do without fuel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Does having the aircon on do much to the power?
It's electrically driven, not taken off the engine.
Mick

It makes a difference if the engine hasn’t been on to generate any heat like on your first journey in winter. As the heat is taken from the ice coolant like a traditional car.

With my current car I have heated seats, so using that instead of the heating / AC, it use just electrical power.

Just like driving with headlights on it will speed up the discharge of the traction batter and results in the ice starting up sooner.

• Like 1

Might try that Anthony once get bit boy racer out my system and save it for the country roads 😁 good point about the air con Mike and if it users much extra on the MPG? 

Might try that Anthony once get bit boy racers out my system and save it for the country roads [emoji16] good point about the air con and if it users much extra on the MPG? 

Most of the time the air con doesn’t impact the mpg too much. I have mine set to 21.5 and leave it on auto. It suits me for winter and summer. It’s just my personal setting.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Anthony Poli said:

It makes a difference if the engine hasn’t been on to generate any heat like on your first journey in winter. As the heat is taken from the ice coolant like a traditional car.

That's heating, not cooling.  Yes, the heating comes from the engine's water pump system. Auto Climate Control does both heating and cooling, but the air conditioning part of it is electrical.

Turn off the whole lot via the Off switch, and I would agree that there could be more power available and certainly better economy.  Turning off the air con wouldn't make much difference.

Mick

• Thanks 1

That's heating, not cooling.  Yes, the heating comes from the engine's water pump system. Auto Climate Control does both heating and cooling, but the air conditioning part of it is electrical.
Turn off the whole lot via the Off switch, and I would agree that there could be more power available and certainly better economy.  Turning off the air con wouldn't make much difference.
Mick

Sorry,
That’s what I was trying to point out.

4 hours ago, Anthony Poli said:

Most of the time the air con doesn’t impact the mpg too much.

True but, via the torque pro app, I believe the max power drawn is around 1kW. At this rate the traction Battery becomes depleted in 10 minutes. You can notice this when parked up in the high summer with aircon on - the engine will fire up after around 10 mins.

• Like 2

Over the 25k miles I've had the car I average 58mpg summer and 53 mpg in winter. 

• Like 1

My Yaris MPG is pretty rubbish really.  The best I've had is 60mpg and worst on my last fill up 42mpg. I basically use it for an 8 mile each way commute in Sheffield which is quite hilly. Recent cold weather hasn't helped though.

• Like 1

We're down to 48mpg now.

Hills and cold weather are the enemies of fuel economy, closely followed by shorter journeys on rural roads.

Mick.

• Like 1

Always remember, the alternative to a Hybrid car is either an ICE or EV. Downside of ICE is pollution, which is main reason getting away from ICE. Downside of EV is low mileage travel between charges, main reason I kept away from an EV within my budget.

An Hybrid is a compromise. It is self charging, so no need to worry where nearest charge points are, it has an engine to keep me going in all situations except running out of fuel - and I would only do that if I was stupid, it gives good mpg and less pollution of the atmosphere due to running on petrol less. On that last point, my on board computer shows I running on Battery in the summer 57% of the time,and in winter 43% of the time.

Battery technology is getting better all the time, smaller, lighter, more powerful. Until the lower priced EV can do 300 miles on a single charge,and can be “refilled” to the top within 20-30 minutes, and charging stations are more common, personally I think an Hybrid is brilliant. 

Until then, life is a compromise, and Toyota, IMO, has got it right in bringing to the market now for 20 years Hybrid vehicles. You can be sure though they will have EV’s being developed and tested right now, but what’s the point on bringing out a Leaf or Zoe that can only do 100 or so miles between charges (first editions). And what cost and how frequent is a Battery replacement that’s being used all the time.?

I don’t know about the Yaris Hybrid, but the my Prius and the Wife’s Auris hybrids have a 10 year HV battery warranty so long as they are checked annually (free as part of a service, £40 otherwise). My Prius Gen4 was doing just over 80mpg summer and just over 70mpg winter. And I can drive past urban schools with playground full of kids knowing full well most times I can be running on battery, so less pollution then petrol/diesel. 

I have watched a lot of YouTube videos on how to drive a hybrid car to get full advantage of high mpg. I had to make changes as to how I drove, but always making sure I don’t hinder or road users. I read recently someone in a Toyota hybrid saying it’s painfully slow trying to get from traffic lights stop to 30mph in a reasonable time, using battery, without annoying others. I don’t even try. Sure, I use the battery to get the 1.5 ton car moving (thus save a lot of money) but once moving I use the petrol engine to get me up to a reasonable speed in a reasonable time - you can’t run forever on battery 1) it’s not got the power to accelerate quickly, 2) I am mindful the system is self charging and so accept there are times it needs to run on petrol. I choose the times to my advantage when I can. 

Battery cars seem to be the future, maybe hydrogen cars will rule (and Toyota market an hydrogen car), but until the day batteries have a good capacity, taking up less space, weigh less, are cheaper, can be charged quicker and more fill up places, Hybrid is the way to go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Agree with Catlover, even if am only getting 48mpg out of my Yaris GR at the moment, love the tec and cleaner driving and the MPG will be better in the summer. 

• Like 1

I am getting 61.3mpg using my car for a 44mile round trip daily, I work out my MPG by using fill ups rather than on board computers, Air con use is minimal and I am happy with this light footted driving style.

Dave

Drove up from Cornwall to Bedford on Friday, stayed overnight, and drove back Saturday (yesterday).  Reset the MPG readout before leaving home.

290miles each way.  A30/M5/M4/M25/M1 there and back.

60mph or so as indicated on the speedo (56mph or so on the TomTom) and returned 57.8mpg over the whole return journey.

The most economical car I've ever owned ............... including a diesel.

Mick.

PS:

Main issue, it the pitifully small petrol tank.  We had a 1.6 16v Clio up until a couple of years ago, and that could have gone both ways on a full tank, whereas the Yaris had to fill up before the return journey as it took more than half a tank to get there.

Mick.

PS:
Main issue, it the pitifully small petrol tank.  We had a 1.6 16v Clio up until a couple of years ago, and that could have gone both ways on a full tank, whereas the Yaris had to fill up before the return journey as it took more than half a tank to get there.
Mick.

The Yaris hybrid was aimed at city drivers, while the other hybrids have a slightly bigger tank.
My 1st Auris was supposed to hold 45 litres, but never had the nerve to go beyond where it said 0miles range. 36 litres was the most I ever got in. The 2015 Auris TS I have now, isn’t as good as the gauge is a needle compared to the bars. On long runs without long hill climbs I use cruise control to help keep the mpg consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Anything between 45 and 70 MPG (real), but it depends how hard I drive it and what kind of driving (it does best on long motorway runs).

Town driving I get anything between 20 and 55 MPG.

Last summer I could have got over 600 miles from a single tank, but I didn't try.

• Like 1