Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2010 Auris brake parts

nwxh

Purchased a 2010 Auris diesel in July 2018. Great car! I didn't want to mess around so went for a Toyota approved used, complete with service plan and extended warranty. The car has all the service stamps from approved Toyota dealers, which was the only reason it could be sold as an approved used.

I had it used today and had the following:

• front brakes - discs lipped, pads recently replaced non genuine (cost to fix £127)
  • rear bleed nipples seized in calipers (cost to fix £700)

I was wondering if this is indicative that at some point the brakes were serviced by an less reputable garage, and if, as well as using non-genuine pads, they could have over tightened the brake nipples. Is this a possibility or is it likely the seizing is just a sign of age? Should I try to negotiate a discount given the presence of non-genuine parts?

Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

If the bleed nipples are seized I would say they were seized when you bought it. As it's an "approved" used car I'd be going back to the dealer and complaining and also have a look at Sales of Goods act.

You may get some more info here https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70 although some people can be a bit harsh :)

• Like 1

Back in October 2015 the Sales of Goods Act was replaced by The Consumer Rights Act 2015. 

Excluding private sales, for vehicles purchased within six months a fault is presumed to have been there at time of sale. If purchased over six months ago, the onus is on the owner to prove the fault was there at time of sale. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. It is unfortunately just over six months.

However, do the nipples seize over time e.g. rust or is it a sign of them being over tightened?

8 hours ago, nwxh said:

Thanks for the replies. It is unfortunately just over six months.

However, do the nipples seize over time e.g. rust or is it a sign of them being over tightened?

I would say a mixture of the above, with over tightening the least probable. 
A skilled person may be able to extract the bleed nipple, but it takes a lot of patience and depends how bad the nipple has seized!
When I last did a brake fluid change about 4 years ago, on my old '98 Mk1 Avensis, old the bleed nipples were fine. Some will say that the quality of the parts used then, may have been made better, or the car has better servicing throughout it's life. I did bleed the brakes a few years earlier, so the bleed nipples still released easily. 

You could always try some penetrating oil first.  It can work wonders.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links