Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spare key

geordiegal

Hi all!

I've had a none stop mare with my car since I got it.

It cut out twice in a week (once on a busy round about) and took a few minutes before it started again. It's back in the garage I bought it from and they have said its a Battery fault (this is after they said the diagnostics showed an electrical fault) they've now decided its the Battery

The spare key works to unlock the door only. They said this is always the case. I call BS but to be stereotypical against myself I quite clearly have no clue about cars. 

Since they've had both my keys in and had diagnostics on couldn't they have coded it? Since its the key that came with the car wouldn't it already be coded? 

And can a Battery cause a car to cut out (despite it driving 20 miles fine before hand, randomly cutting out, turning over but not starting til all of a sudden it did start, and then drive fine again?) I really feel like I'm being robbed off by this garage but its under their warranty so I'm kind of trusting them yet also being heavy sceptical they are looking for a cheap quick fix. 

It's a 10 plate aygo (incase that makes a difference!) 

X

If the Battery is not being charged while the car is running, then it would run while it has a batter charge, and then die, but this is clearly not the case, and if you car starts fine, even after day or two of sitting in cold weather, they are abusing your lack of knowledge in this area.

Were there any warning lights on the dash displayed while starting? Also did the car make any unusual starting noises, or was it just normally cranking until it suddenly start?

You bought the car recently, ie tha last 6 months, so that is why they are fixing it? 

Also, spare key should function normally, there are no such thing as being used only  to unlock, if you lose the main one, what are you supposed to use to start the car, a screwdriver?

If possible, i'd return the car, electrical issues can be a pain, better get another car

Car wasn't making any noises that I noticed, it seemed to be turning over and just not starting. They originally claimed immobiliser problems but then changed their mind and said Battery

They're fixing it because I've had the car 3 weeks but now I'm outside the 14 day cooling off period from both garage and finance company, its got a warranty through the dealer which is why it's back there.

And when did you purchase the car, how long do you have it?

If it was just the Battery, they would have easily swapped it out, and off you go with an actual function car.

I doubt they know what the problem is, and their plan is to change everything until car works normally, and to charge you heavily.

IF you bought the cat from a dealer, i'd return the car, and get back to searching for another one, it simply has too many problems, and even if they fix it, which i doubt would be a propper fix, i'd not trust the car itself.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/the-second-hand-car-i-bought-has-a-problem-what-are-my-rights

Rejecting a second-hand car

If there's a problem with a second-hand car soon after you've bought it - for example, the car develops a problem you wouldn't expect for its age and mileage, or it turns out not to be what you’d been led to expect - you may have the right to reject it and get your money back.

If you bought the car any time after 1 October 2015, you have only 30 days to reject it and get a full refund under the Consumer Rights Act.

Cars bought before 1 October 2015 would have come under the Sale of Goods Act, which has now been replaced by the Consumer Rights Act. This stated that you must have rejected the car within a reasonable time frame (probably within three to four weeks – less if it was an obvious problem). 

If you reject a second-hand car bought in the UK, you must stop using it immediately. 

New car problems? There's more information about your rights if something goes wrong with a brand new car in another guide.

• Like 1

At the end of the day if you want the car repaired rather than reject it, the garage you purchased the car from has to take responsibility for the repair - not the dealer or warranty. See the Consumer Rights Act 2015 'the first six months' - https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act 

Seek advice from your local CAB, Trading Standards or similar advisory organisation.

Considering how they carried on the repair process so far, i personally would reject the car, and get another one.

Just seems like a lemon car to me, maybe original owner had similar, if not same issues, tried fixing it, and just gave up and got rid of it.

Is this a regular Toyota dealer?

It was just a garage that deals with ex mobility cars with low mileage.

I would immediately request a refund as the car is not fit for purpose, see furtula's post about the Sale of Goods Act.

Update?

Give the garage a chance to repair, as mentioned seem like the garage don't really know exactly what problem the car has and so to fix until no problem. Getting another car is a lot of time & hassle after just buying one recently. 

Spare key - my guess is this were purchased by the last owner having lost a key, garage don't know how to programme it.