Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis 2.2 diesel 2009 estate d4d engine

cet

Hi all In need some advice. Car has now done just short of 160k miles with out a blip. Now have Bubbling in coolant bottle from top hose. Compression test shows min of 330 and max of 350. no milky-ness in the oil but loosing water through expansion in the cooling bottle. No white smoke out of the exhaust. Changed coolant cap no difference still bubbles thermostat working at 85oC. Gas test goes green very slowly even with loads of bubbles in the coolant bottle. might add that bubbles still present even when car disabled from firing. Car still starts first time even in cold weather,still accelerates rapidly and returns 43mpg and sounds as it always has. Heart of hearts says cylinder head but in the past experience bad cylinder head wouldn't return the above. Have i missed something with this engine that would cause bubbling in the coolant other than a failed cylinder head gasket or cracked head.

Any advice welcomed

Thanks in advance

Charles

Hi Charles, welcome to TOC 🙂

• T25 or T27?
  • 150bhp or 180?
  • Do you know exactly when your car was produced?
  • Are you aware of the head/head gasket issue that are known to develop in a small % of these engines (supposedly fixed in production for Avensis post February 2009)?

Hi Heidfirst

the car is 150bhp engine is reported as 2ad-ftv and yes i am. What's hard to believe is the car still drives exceedingly well unlike any i have had before were the head gasket has gone. the car burns no oil either.

Charles