Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

No cranking, just a click

Byzii

Hello everyone,

Seems there's no end to issues with this car.

A few days ago had a new experience - in the morning (parked in garage, as always, temperature +3 degrees Celsius) put the key in the car, turned it to ON position (or whatever it's called) and as usual all the dash lights turned on with no issues. Pushed the key to start the car (neutral, but clutch pedal still pressed in) and the car wouldn't crank - all I heard was a single, loud click, I assume coming from the starter itself.

Well, okay then, strange I thought, never had such an issue, turned the key off, then back on, tried again - same problem. Tried it 2 more times, still the same single click. On the 5th try it started cranking as usual and got the car up and running.

So in total the starter failed to engage with engine 4 times, but on 5th time it worked like it always has.

This was a few days ago, haven't had the same issue since, it was only that morning. Since then car was able to start up in -8 degrees weather without issues (well, not this kind of issue).

Haven't had any funky electrical problems (except my AC doesn't seem to come on, I have a thread on it here, but a lot of people say the AC shouldn't engange in weather close to freezing). Lights are working normally, so is the radio, windows, etc. No light flashing on the dashboard.

So, before I go to a garage to bother them with this and likely get no answer since it only happened once - has anyone had a similar experience and what could be the cause? I assume the Battery is fine since it eventually was able to start the car, after 4 previous attempts (so glow plugs also were engaged 4 times which should draw a lot of current from battery). Also the Battery connections should be sound, they were re-tightened a couple of weeks ago. Could it be a faulty ground from the Battery to the engine/frame? Or would there be more issues? Or does this indicate that the starter will have problems soon?

If you ever saw people banging on a starter with a hammer, or some long rod, well, now you know why, it got stuck.

Time to start looking for a new starter mate, be sure to replace it soon.

Also, carry a long stick with you until you do that 🙂

• Thanks 1

Hey Dean,

Thank you for the answer! So there's no way this could be an electrical/connector issue and is definitely a starter starting to go bad?

It's interesting, why did it decided to work on the last try without me hitting anything.

Always wise to make sure Battery connections are clean and tight.

As Furtula says, could be sticking starter motor. Next time it just clicks, turn of, put in a higher gear and with handbrake off, try rocking the car forward/reverse. Hopefully this would move starter motor, put in neutral, handbrake on, and try start the car again. If it works then this would add confidence to the idea its a starter motor problem. Maybe able to get recon starter motor.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links