Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Road Sign Assist really hopeless

pjb904

(newbie here) 

My new Rav4 Hybrid Tech is hopeless at 'seeing' speed roadsigns. Sometimes it sees them, often doesn't (even the BIG signs). Inconsistent too, at same locations, sometimes does, often doesn't. Dealer updated software on the system, but it's no better. Dealer cagey about admitting this system just isn't very good. I'm comparing performance to our old car Ford S-Max Titanium, in which the system worked perfectly.

Can anyone tell me if this is typical for this 'safety' Toyota system, or, is as I suspect, my system is actually faulty? 

Thanks 

Hi Paul, welcome to TOC 🙂

I switched mine off & I am sure that I am not alone ....

Moved to the Rav4 club.

In my Prius gen4 it is not always accurate at picking up the signs, but that makes me more aware of signage which has got to be a plus. 

I switched mine off too - it was inaccurate at least 30% of the time, and in the case of the Prius would show up in the Head Up Display when it thought the speed limit was exceeded, causing info I actually wanted to see to be hidden.

IMHO it is so bad it would have been less damaging to Toyota's reputation to simply not fit it.

Glad I am not the only one !. Turned off the audible warning as soon as I got my Rav4. Sometimes it is useful but most of the time I view as entertainment wondering how on earth it comes up with the advice it does. Yes, I regularly turn right at a roundabout where it picks up the '20' signs if you were to go straight ahead but at other times it can come up with ridiculous figures - I live on an estate that is very narrow and twisty that has a '20' limit and the 'assist' tells me that the limit is 100 !

It does make me wonder how self driving cars are ever going to work if things like this don't work and sat-nav speed limits are often out of date.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking forward to using this when got my Rav 4 as never had this facility before, however have to agree it’s poor at recognising the correct speed limit at times so turned off. Would probably only use in unfamiliar areas where occasionally not sure what speed limit is but then again will it be correct