Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel tank recall. campaign:LGG84

Konrad C

Just got a recall letter from Toyota via DVSA (or the other way round), 'regarding possibility that a crack could develop in the fuel suction plate due to insufficient strength of the resin channel. In this condition the crack could expand over time and eventually fuel may leak causing fuel odour to be emitted.' My car is amongst those subject to the recall.

I have to make an appointment, and the car need to have less than a 1/4 full of fuel. My car has not exhibited any signs of fuel leak yet, but the check for the crack will confirm the problem.

Hopefully they have a stock of parts and the repair is done within the day.

• Like 1

Car booked for 14th Feb. Will have a lone car.

Hi Konrad. I received my LGG84 recall letter from DVSA today. My car was already booked in for 4 year annual service and MOT, and the dealer agreed to deal with the recall issue on the same day, thereby saving me another visit. Seems they can easily carry out all the work within a day.

I see that our cars were first registered 5 years apart. I wonder if earlier versions than your 2009 model have received the same recall? I would have thought the older the car the more likely it will show signs of the resin crack but then what do I know!

Hi Mickey. I did a little digging and the fuel suction plate is the in tank fuel pump - 77024A part no. 77024-05010 Subplate assembly, fuel suctionAVENSIS |  FUEL TANK TUBE

This part should be accessed under the rear seat cover plate. I remember changing a fuel pump on a friends Land Rover Freelander back in 2010. It was winter and the all the car doors were kept open, due to the strong fumes! The pump unit itself was very expensive - £200 - £300. 

My car was first registered January 2009, so was on of the first T27 Tourers. Being '58 plate can cause confusing when getting parts from motor spares. I remember trying to get parts from a local motor spares place, and using the registration they got the catalogue for the Mk2 T25. That was 3 years ago and the car was 7 years old! So I go by year and model to be sure. Everything has improved now, so getting parts less hassle now.
My lone car for the recall will be a Yaris Hybrid. 

• Like 1

Does this affect a specific Avensis?

Mine is a 59 plate T27 1.6 valvematic petrol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Konrad C said:

Hi Mickey. I did a little digging and the fuel suction plate is the in tank fuel pump - 77024A part no. 77024-05010 Subplate assembly, fuel suctionAVENSIS |  FUEL TANK TUBE

This part should be accessed under the rear seat cover plate. I remember changing a fuel pump on a friends Land Rover Freelander back in 2010. It was winter and the all the car doors were kept open, due to the strong fumes! The pump unit itself was very expensive - £200 - £300. 

My car was first registered January 2009, so was on of the first T27 Tourers. Being '58 plate can cause confusing when getting parts from motor spares. I remember trying to get parts from a local motor spares place, and using the registration they got the catalogue for the Mk2 T25. That was 3 years ago and the car was 7 years old! So I go by year and model to be sure. Everything has improved now, so getting parts less hassle now.
My lone car for the recall will be a Yaris Hybrid. 

Thanks Konrad. You mentioned that the part in question is accessed under the rear seat cover plate. I presume that might involve moving/removing rear seat/s? As I have a dog guard fixed to the back of the rear seats then looks like I should remove the dog guard before I take it to the dealer?

My car was first registered March 2015 and the current version was introduced from April 2015. When I'm asked by suppliers what year Avensis I own I have to make it clear that mine is not the later 2015 version because there are of course differences between the two.

I recently completed a Which survey on my experience with my car and found no difficulty at all in answering a question about what I liked about my car. When I came to answer the following question about what I disliked about my car I found it very difficult to come up with anything. In the end I mentioned that the rear of the car gets very dirty on wet roads!  Small price to pay for what I think is an excellent car!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Wolf said:

Thanks Konrad. You mentioned that the part in question is accessed under the rear seat cover plate. I presume that might involve moving/removing rear seat/s? As I have a dog guard fixed to the back of the rear seats then looks like I should remove the dog guard before I take it to the dealer?

My car was first registered March 2015 and the current version was introduced from April 2015. When I'm asked by suppliers what year Avensis I own I have to make it clear that mine is not the later 2015 version because there are of course differences between the two.

I recently completed a Which survey on my experience with my car and found no difficulty at all in answering a question about what I liked about my car. When I came to answer the following question about what I disliked about my car I found it very difficult to come up with anything. In the end I mentioned that the rear of the car gets very dirty on wet roads!  Small price to pay for what I think is an excellent car!

No need to remove anything, only the rear seat base is lifted the backrest stays put, just make sure the fuel level is < 1/2 a tank

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I had the car done on Thursday. Went in early in the morning, then collected the car at about 15:30 in the afternoon - have dash cam footage. 
The loan car was a '68 plate Yaris Hybrid. I have lots of thoughts about the Yaris. I was impressed but the car needs to be larger. I took a lot of photos and noticed a lot of things I like and dislike. I will post on the Yaris forum. Compared with my Avensis '58 T27 1.8 TR spec, the Yaris Icon Tech lacks storage space, no auto lights in the spec I had, and lacks the oomph my car has, though was fine once moving.
Getting back into my car was easy, and I only missed the slow speed silent running, especially in traffic.