Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recall

Steve Whits

Just checked GOV.UK and it's showing a recall for my Yaris

"There's an outstanding manufacturer's safety recall onTOYOTA YARIS *****. The vehicle has been recalled since at least 25 January 2019"

Anyone know what it's for.  Forgot to ring the dealer today although the cars in for service next month.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Good advice! The gov.uk one is frequently wrong! (or generic instead of being vehicle/VIN specific)

I take back my last sentence! It would seem they've improved the search criteria since I last accessed it; which is a good thing.

I had an air bag recall on the gov site it was correct and I got a new air bag.

No recall outstanding on ours.  We had the airbag recall sorted last year.

Mick.

cant believe they havent stopped putting these faulty air bags in late 2016 cars when they knew about it ages ago as i had a recall on my 2011 honda jazz, its just costing them millions.

On 1/29/2019 at 11:20 PM, monkeydave said:

cant believe they havent stopped putting these faulty air bags in late 2016 cars when they knew about it ages ago as i had a recall on my 2011 honda jazz, its just costing them millions.

The Takata recalls started back in 2013 and at that point all the manufacturers / regulators knew was that the issue affected older cars from around year 2000 onwards and that cars in hot humid countries where more likely to be affected nobody knew the cause. So whilst a cause, satisfactory fix was found, tested and approved by all the relevant regulators the manufacturers / regulators agreed the safest plan of action was to call back the oldest and most humid country cars straight away, all these cars had a new (but same as the original) inflator fitted making the cars as safe as possible until a suitable fix was found. Only in the last 12-18 months has an acceptable fix been found and approved. Now all the cars receiving the first replacement inflators are now being called back along with newer cars that have the potential to be affected so they can have the final fix inflators installed.

Just using Mk3 Yaris as an example the factory switched to the new airbag type from 03/2017 production we have already been replacing inflators in cars built pre 2015 and as people are seeing above have now included the last of the Mk3 Yaris built upto 03/2017.

The scope of this recall is immense and still has the potential to expand further, see https://www.nhtsa.gov/equipment/takata-recall-spotlight which contains loads of useful info including an agreed timeline. The UK along with most of Europe are Zone B Mediterranean countries are zone A and Nordic countries are zone C, we have just entered phase 4/5 and phase 5/5 starts at the end of this year.

• Like 2

Contacted the dealer and they confirmed it's for the airbag.  As it's in for service in 2 weeks they're going to do it at service. 

Yes my daughters Yaris booked in next week, half an hour job apparently

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Unklian said:

Burrows Rotherham suggested they needed the car for 1.5 hours......
Glad I'm not paying 1.5 hours for this......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi5OzZl42OQ

The video is just direct replacement of the airbag module, not necessarily the inflator.

7 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The video is just direct replacement of the airbag module, not necessarily the inflator.

I stand corrected.
I thought it would be just a swap-out at the dealerships, then inflator swap elsewhere.
Didn't realise they could do that.

Received my letter today. It said "not to do anything" and "we'll contact you"?????

See Devon Aygo's post of 30th January.

22 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

See Devon Aygo's post of 30th January.

I'm a bit confused - his link is for the NHTSA which is a US Government body. He says the recall info for the UK is available from that link but I don't see it.

Apparently from the date I would be a "Group 9" priority, but it for US cars, not EU/UK...

51 minutes ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

Received my letter today. It said "not to do anything" and "we'll contact you"?????

Thats because there is currently insufficient stock of inflators available, Toyota are obliged to inform everyone affected by the recall within 6 weeks of the DVSA announcing the recall however they have to manage stock supply and work load into dealers, so they stagger the letters some people have invites to contact the dealers others have notifications of intent and follow up.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

I'm a bit confused - his link is for the NHTSA which is a US Government body. He says the recall info for the UK is available from that link but I don't see it.

Apparently from the date I would be a "Group 9" priority, but it for US cars, not EU/UK...

The link was intended as useful info only, i didn't say its contents directly relates to the UK I included it to give an idea as to the scope of the work required and because the DVSA ( UK regulator ) has nothing available. 

Sorry if i've caused confusion.

• Like 1

Owners are still receiving letters about this? I received a letter ages ago and after hearing nothing further, contacted Toyota G.B. a year after the letter.

Strange how an airbag in short supply miraculously became available and was fitted during the car's service in Feb. 2018.

21 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

The link was intended as useful info only, i didn't say its contents directly relates to the UK I included it to give an idea as to the scope of the work required and because the DVSA ( UK regulator ) has nothing available. 

Sorry if i've caused confusion.

No problem! It's an interesting read anyway!

22 hours ago, mrpj said:

Owners are still receiving letters about this? I received a letter ages ago and after hearing nothing further, contacted Toyota G.B. a year after the letter.

Strange how an airbag in short supply miraculously became available and was fitted during the car's service in Feb. 2018.

We order every inflator/air bag to chassis number, if we let you know it is in and you fail to turn up for the appointment, we only hold the parts for a short time after and then allocate that part to somebody else, (for people in for service for instance) this is probably why your dealer had an airbag available 

• Like 1

I've got the letter last week. Seems like they will start contacting us when the parts are available. 

• 3 months later...

I read somewhere that the replacement was simply a new inflator, but with the same issue, and so in a few years, the problem still exists?

When will this issue actually be fixed, if ever?

Apparently, getting a replacement inflator now bumps you to the back of the queue for a fixed-design inflator later?