Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris EML

Haiderali123

Hi all. I recently had a new engine put in my Yaris 2011 as my chain had snapped in the old engine. Long story cut short but was driving to airport on motorway, oil level etc all was fine, all of a sudden car lost power and cut out. Called breakdown and there was no compression and Timing Chain had snapped. Very odd especially with the Yaris's. Anyway, replaced it with a used engine from a breakers from a 2012 yaris (My car is 2011 but they are the same engines). New engine was fitted by a garage. I drove the car for around 30 miles and got the Engine Management Light on. I took it back to the garage and he had a look, he then swapped over the VVTI solenoids at the top of the engine with my old ones, cleared the engine code and then told me to drive it for a while. After another 10 miles then light came back on, took it back to him and his computer gave the code "P0012 & P0014". I then went to a breakers and got another set of Solenoids to rule out any issues with them and again 10 miles later the EML came on. Also tried an oil flush even though the oil was fresh new oil but did it anyway, same problem.

There is no issues with the car driving, no loss of power, no rough idle, all sounds perfectly fine apart from the start/stop not working now but this EML is bugging me and I want to get it sorted. Next solution garage has proposed is to replace timing chain. Anyone have any idea what it could possibly be or what I could possibly change to get this issue sorted before having to go through a timing chain kit.

Toyota Yaris 2011 mk2 1.3vvti

Thank you very much, i appreciate all your help.

1 Use correct grade oil

2. use correct oil filter

3. Buy NEW solenoids.

(Your garage are incompetents)

Hi Madasafish,

Thanks for your reply. Is it just a coincidence that 3 sets of the solenoids are faulty? The pair that was in the last engine were fine as didnt have EML come on but when they put them into this engine, it still flags up the EML. Used correct oil and oil filter as i collected them myself from ECP.

Thanks

What brings the EML on?  Must be a few things that create the alarm I would think.

What about oil pressure, big-end wear and cylinder compression?  What sort of life did the previous Yaris have before it was broken up at the breaker's yard?  Do you know anything about the history?

Mick.

• Like 1

Hi Mick,

Thanks for your reply. Not sure what brings the light back on. We drive around 8/10 miles and it will come on itself. Not at any certain speed or anything. When plugging a code reader we get P0012 & P0014 code. Oil Pressure, wear and compression, i will have to ask the garage to check these as i don’t have love stats or data from the car.

Regarding the old engine, the car was a rear accident damage car and it had around 40k on the clock and came out of a 12 plate. Breakers can’t remember if it had and EML on or not.

Thanks 

P0012 = Intake valve timing is stuck at a certain value when in the retard range (2 trip detection logic).

Areas of possible concern

• Mechanical system (Timing chain has jumped tooth or chain stretched)

• Camshaft timing oil control valve assembly (for intake camshaft)

• Camshaft bearing cap oil hole gasket (oil filter)

• Camshaft timing gear assembly (for intake camshaft)

• ECM

P0014 = Exhaust valve timing is stuck at a certain value when in the advance range (2 trip detection logic).

Areas of possible concern

• Mechanical system (Timing chain has jumped tooth or chain stretched)

• Camshaft timing oil control valve assembly (for exhaust camshaft)

• Camshaft bearing cap oil hole gasket (oil filter)

• Camshaft timing exhaust gear assembly

• ECM

Perhaps take a look on www.toyota-tech.eu for a few £ you can access the correct diagnostics process to correctly determine the cause of the fault codes

Anything else i can do to see if it is 100% the timing chain? Don't want to fork out £3/400+ for something that might not be needed.

Thanks

Hi, it sounds a bit like the ECU has locked in the parameters from your old engine when the chain snapped. ECUs are set to a particular engine. Toyota might be able to re-programme it to your newer engine. Or see if they still have the old ECU from the doner car.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bomber209 said:

Hi, it sounds a bit like the ECU has locked in the parameters from your old engine when the chain snapped. ECUs are set to a particular engine. Toyota might be able to re-programme it to your newer engine. Or see if they still have the old ECU from the doner car.

Excellent suggestion, and it sort of rings true.  I'll bet the old ECU is playing up and throwing its toys out of the pram.

Mick.

Hi Mick,

Cant get the ECU unfortunately as the breakers remove the engines and then scrap/sell the rest of the car bits.

Ive reset the error codes many times but after 10 miles it comes back on. Should i bite the bullet and get it done? or shall i buy some tech tool and do a few tests? any idea what tools i can use and what i should test for? 

Error codes i get are P0012 & P0014

Thanks

I recall reading somewhere that some error codes are reset, if they no longer exist, after around twenty or so operations of the starter motor IIRC. Does that apply here, if so, it may be worth doing nothing for a while?

Hi,  Look on Google for a local company that can re-set or repair your ECU. There are others that you have to send it to them.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links