Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spark plugs

23nst

Hello!

I would like to buy some new spark plugs for my Avensis T25, 1.8 VVT-i, 2007 with 91000 miles and I’m a bit confused about what kind of plugs to put in.

Any of you has used Iridium spark plugs and if yes, what model? The owner manual is doing reference to 2 model from NGK and Denso but it says to use standard not iridium 

If anyone wants to give me some advice... I will be more than grateful 🙂

Thank you

I always used  Denso Iridium plugs on my old '98 Mk1 1.8 leanburn and my current Mk3 1.8 Valvematic. There are the ones listed in the handbook.

Iridium takes longer to wear, so will extend the intervals between changes. .

Further to Konrad's post, Denso is part-owned by Toyota, so they are normally fitted as original equipment.

NGK plugs in all my cars and bikes have served me well, but other owners have said (on this forum) that Denso seem to work better in some applications, I don't understand why this should be, but I would imagine the factory does all their testing with Denso plugs fitted.

Just rarely, the spark plug recommendations from the handbook are updated over time.  From an NGK point of view, they have an excellent technical dept. on 01442 281000 (switchboard).  They could advise the latest NGK choice and discuss any other questions about Iridium vs conventional etc. 

Euro Car Parts sell both brands, and at roughly the same price, so I would probably choose the Denso.  Their current sale code offers 35% off, but no doubt they'll be another code coming along sometime soon.

• Like 1

The current/correct specification is Denso K16R-U11

Please watch sparking plugs. Some years back I had issues with my T22 Avensis which had been fitted with Bosch plugs. My local agent did a freak out when seeing these, which had been fitted on a plug, oil, oil filter and air filter change. 

Now, with my T25 I have parts dealers offering me 6 different types of plugs. None stated in the Owners handbook. However, from previous Bosch junk parts I did learn a lesson, ASK, CHECK, DO NOT PAY UNTIL CORRECT, and most of all, DO NOT BELIEVE PARTS PEOPLE, they lie to sell parts. KR16-U11 replaced by KR20-K11 or IFR6A11T, OR K16-TT. 

Check and adhere to your handbook rules. Parts suppliers did not make the engine