Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Space saver spare tyre or tyre repair kit?

Eddie G

My last Yaris an Icon Tech came with a space saver spare wheel but my new Yaris a GR Sport has a tyre repair kit, was wondering what is the best option as am used to having a space tyre. I know it is to save weight and to do with emissions but heard some punches are too bad for the kit to work and some garages refused to do puncher repairs because of all the gunk in the tyre after using the tyre repair kit? 

I personally would dump the repair kit and get a space saver spare wheel. Having used that gunk on ride on mowers it is dreadful stuff to work with, and no it doesn't work on all punctures. I wouldn't want to be stuck at the side of the road with no means of getting a tyre changed. I know some rescue services carry space saver wheels but I'd sooner have my own.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Eddie G said:

I know it is to save weight and to do with emissions

That's the reason they give but it's more than likely to make more money out of customers. It's not that heavy and would save a miniscule amount of emissions. I'd suspect the compressor, bottle of gloop and their holder weigh as much as a spacesaver. My Icon+ had the "repair" kit but I made the supply of a space saver and accessories a deal breaker.

I now have a full size spare because after experiencing driving with the spacesaver fitted, once for 10 miles, that was my choice.

However, a spacesaver has to be a better option than the "repair" kit. I've never used one but, as TP49 says, it is limited by the type of puncture. I too would hate to be stuck in the middle of nowhere, at 3 am, with a big split in a tyre rather than a small gloop sealable hole.

• Like 1

The puncture repair kit also has a much shorter life than even a spacesaver. How long do you expect to keep the car?

I can't remember when I last had a puncture (touch wood), but got a spacesaver kit for peace of mind. You need a jack, handle and wheel brace too. You also need to remember to keep the thing inflated (60PSI - strewth!)

• Like 1

I notice the new RAV4 manual states that if you use the repair kit, you need to replace the TPWS (Tyre Pressure Warning System) sensor in that tyre - they can cost over £100!

Not all cars use a sensor in the tyre valve though, some use info from the ABS sensors to detect changes in a wheel's rotational speed, so that won't apply if you have that type.

Although in the last 4 years I've only had 2-3 punctures that would have been ok with the gunge, I've had about 16 since 2000, at least a quarter of which definitely wouldn't have been sorted by a tin of gunge.  In one case, a tyre blew out and there was no rubber at all left on the rim by the time I stopped!

I make a point of only buying cars with at least a space saver, and given the chance would opt of a full size spare,

• Like 1

Think the tyre repair sealant used by Toyota has an expiry of approx three years. Some owners have replaced the sealant with third party kits due to cost - eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/Slime-1800330-Repair-Automobile-Dispensor/dp/B003QHY000/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1548934559&sr=8-3&keywords=Car+tyre+repair+kit

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies, was thinking rather have a spare tire, think use by date said 2024 on it, will ask if the space tire comes with jack, Handle and Wheel Brace, said at dealer be £90 when picked car up but did not say what came with it. 

Take it the tyre repair kit is cheaper even with the plug in mini tyre inflater, so yeah more a cost save over putting a spare wheel in, was planing on keeping car long term so the gunk bottle would also need replacing after 2024! 

Ours came with the kit, which we still have, but I bought a jack and spacesaver from eBay.

Imagine getting a small repairable puncture and filling your tyre with gunge, then taking it to your local friendly tyre repair place.  They would remove the tyre, then have to clean the rim, and maybe ditch the gunged-up tyre, when all it probably needed was a simple repair or a tube fitted.

Spacesaver for me every time.  Kit includes a tyre inflator, so that's worth keeping, but the gunge is just plain silly.

Mick.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Eddie G said:

Take it the tyre repair kit is cheaper even with the plug in mini tyre inflater, so yeah more a cost save over putting a spare wheel in, was planing on keeping car long term so the gunk bottle would also need replacing after 2024! 

I think it is a weight saving too, helping manufacturers to meet emission targets, although saving cost will be at least as attractive to them.

I was pleased when I bought my Prius that there was a no cost option of a space saver wheel instead of the repair kit, which meant not only did I get the tools, but the correct under-floor storage bits.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mick F said:

Spacesaver for me every time...

Yep, with you there.  Another downside of the gunge was highlighted some time ago by a Plug-in Prius owner (plug-in has bigger traction Battery under the boot floor, so no room for spare tyre).  He got a non-gungable puncture late on a wet Friday evening just a few miles from his rural home, and had to wait 2-3 hours for recovery.  They took him and his car home, and he then had to get his wheel to a tyre shop by taxi!

• Like 1

Thanks guys, will kept the inflater and sort a spare tyre 👍

41 minutes ago, Mick F said:

Ours came with the kit, which we still have, but I bought a jack and spacesaver from eBay.

Spacesaver for me every time.  Kit includes a tyre inflator, so that's worth keeping, but the gunge is just plain silly.

Mick.

That's exactly what I did when i got the Auris. If you get a hole in the side wall the inflation kit is useless. (Oh and the tyre needs replacing after you use the gunk anyway as they can't be repaired)

• Like 1

Hi I have a 2015 Yaris which came with a tyre inflator and puncture repair kit ,Not wanting to be caught out with a puncture that I couldn't repair I bought a New space saver c/w jack and wheel brace for less than £60 on eBay . By removing the polystyrene filler in the boot the space saver and all the Equipment fits in out of site .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mick F said:

Careful, that's a 15" spacesaver wheel and may not be suitable for the OP's car. My '14 reg owner's manual shows seven different types of tyre combination with 15" and 16" spacesaver wheels.

Incidentally, the manual refers to car types A to G, but doesn't specify clearly which type is which model. Can anyone enlighten us please?

• Like 1

Asked at the dealer about space saver said could only get 15 and 16inch ones, have 17inch on my Yaris GR would it be ok using a 16 inch space saver? 

the spacesaver uses a higher profile than a standard road tyre so the actual rolling radius remains very similar.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Scott 👍 i was also thinking that could be the case but only ever bought a spare for an Aygo and the 17in wheels look beasty on the GR which is nice 😁 but they seem massive compared to a space saver, Toyota said £110 but have just taking a service plan out so should get 10% of that price or may take a look on E-Bay. The tyre kit gunk according to the service guy is now water based so can be cleaned out for a puncher but would still rather have spare tyre and the bottle of gunk is around £35 at Toyota! to replace every 4 years. 

5 hours ago, Eddie G said:

The tyre kit gunk according to the service guy is now water based so can be cleaned out for a puncher but would still rather have spare tyre and the bottle of gunk is around £35 at Toyota! to replace every 4 years. 

You can get punctures that are too large for the gunk to seal. Like you I prefer the security of a spare (even if it is only a temporary, speed-limited spacesaver).

• Like 2

What is the gunk actually for?

It's a simple plug-in device that you use rather than jacking up the car and using a wheel-brace to change the wheel.

Given the personal choice - that I now have because I've bought the space-saver and jack - I would jack up the car etc.  If I was less able, I would be tempted to use the gunk and the connection devices, but the way I see it, you pays your money and you takes your chance.

The space-saver is the best bet of both worlds.  If you can't do it, you phone someone who can.  Doing it that way, you can at least save the damaged tyre and get it repaired.  Use the gunk instead perhaps, but there's a chance you'll still have to phone someone but I suspect they'd rather have changed the tyre in the first place.

Mick.

• Like 3

Good points Mike 👍 and agree the space saver tyre is sill the better all round option. 

• 1 year later...

Just to add my experience with gunk...well the holt tyreweld bottle. 

Had a slow tyre puncture due to a screw about 6-8 months ago, used some of the gunk bottle to sealed it enough for me to get to my local tyre guy, with the screw still in place. Tyre guy repaired the puncture. 

Changed all the tyres 2 months ago, TPMS is fine, tyre/alloy are fine as the sealant were water based. I do have a space spacer which came with the car. 

• Like 1

For all those that are considering buying from Toyota, ask for one when you buy the car, I did, no problem and no cost.

On 2/28/2020 at 9:43 PM, scannerman said:

For all those that are considering buying from Toyota, ask for one when you buy the car, I did, no problem and no cost.

Same here, mine was a pre-registered car with only 10 miles on the clock. During inspecting I spotted that there was the "goo" and compressor. The salesman refused when I requested a spacesaver wheel and kit as part of the deal. I started to walk away and he said "I'll speak to my boss." (don't they all?) - 5 minutes later, result. "Oh, and a set of mudflaps and mats too please."🤣

• Haha 2