Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2005 D4D Staring issues with videos

dawsieboy84

Hi all

Our 2005 rav4 d4d has issues starting when up to temperature. Starts fine cold (although when really cold sounds a bit slow) Battery is fine.

I have attached some videos to show. If not quite up to temp will start after a few cranks but if up to operating temp it will not turn over?? If you wait 5 mins for the temperature needle to drop it starts again?

Any ideas??

Have a read of this post, might be helpful. 

I've just experienced this problem - very inconvenient not being able to start a car when the engine is hot!

For me this issue was fixed by changing the starter motor (which is a DIY job but quite fiddly). I put in a 2.2kw version and it doesn't hesitate to start whether it's hot or cold.

Before I tried doing the motor I did also buy a bigger Battery and change the fuel fllter, but because I changed one thing at a time I know it was the starter that finally did the trick.

2 minutes ago, RAV4-D4D said:

I've just experienced this problem - very inconvenient not being able to start a car when the engine is hot!

For me this issue was fixed by changing the starter motor (which is a DIY job but quite fiddly). I put in a 2.2kw version and it doesn't hesitate to start whether it's hot or cold.

Before I tried doing the motor I did also buy a bigger battery and change the fuel fllter, but because I changed one thing at a time I know it was the starter that finally did the trick.

My son solved the same problem by changing his startermotor. It was found to be contaminated with dust from the clutch.