Do Not Sell My Personal Information

over heating after totel head rebuild

james59

hello, folks thanks for allowing me to be a part of your Forum

i have a 1992 Toyota Windom that has had a head gasket rebuild. since this has been done i have been plagued with overheating problems  this is what i have had done so far replaced thermostat replaced the water pump bleed radiator and added coolant flushed radiator still car overheats one other thing it is not blowing steam top pipe is hot once car is hot (working)

temperature gauge hits the red as soon as the car is driven in a normal way  at this point i, am at My wit's end as to why it overheats 

Please Help Me

Hey,

It seems like for whatever reason you looked for issues in completely wrong direction, I think the obvious reason for overheating is the head gasket job.

What was the reason for replacing head gasket? Who did the job, and what components were used? Was anything re-used or was everything brand new?

There's a reason why replacing head gaskets isn't a particularly popular job and pretty much anyone doing it is a hobbyist doing it in his own garage over the weekends *cough*Subaru enthusiasts*cough*. For example, the notorious Toyota's 1AD and 2AD engines which had a lot of head gasket issues, Toyota themselves didn't recommend fixing it and instead offered a brand new engine, because even when you took the head and engine block to be re-machined, the issue would still pop up not long after the fix.

In your case it could be any number of issues - somewhere a channel is blocked or isn't aligned perfectly, or maybe you're loosing coolant in the cylinders, or maybe the coolant lines throughout the engine are blocked with whatever happened before that needed the rebuild.

Edit: also, since you've still tried driving the car even with overheating issues, keep in mind that even for a completely brand-new engine in perfect condition, it takes something like 30 seconds-1 minute of driving without coolant circulating properly before permanent damage to the head occurs. It's likely that the head has again warped due to overheating. On a completely cold engine it's something like 2 to 3 minutes of running time before you're in the zone of permanent damage without coolant.

Edited by Byzii
Added one more thing to consider

Much as Edvard said in above post. Likely something dropped into a water channel during the head removal/replacement, or did you check that when you refitted a new gasket all openings that were there before were still opened? Did you unfasten/fasten cylinder head bolts in the correct sequence to the correct torque? 

12 hours ago, Catlover said:

Much as Edvard said in above post. Likely something dropped into a water channel during the head removal/replacement, or did you check that when you refitted a new gasket all openings that were there before were still opened? Did you unfasten/fasten cylinder head bolts in the correct sequence to the correct torque? 

after reading what you all have said and I have gone over this thread time and time again the only thing is well many? firstly all channels are free.even after the thermostat was changed and water pump head gasket etc done I find it is still bubbling over after running for 15 minutes to 20 minutes of stationary idling Why? yr 1992 Toyota Windom motor fe v6 twin cam  

The bubbling in the expansion tank indicates a blown gasket, sorry.

You haven't told us who did the job and how experienced they are, and what kind of materials were used, etc. Since you still want to think that the issue is anywhere else but the head gasket, I guess the job was done by yourself or someone close to you? It's not a straight-forward job and a lot of things can go wrong.

the problem is that it was done by a mechanic that has no reputable certificates so as of today i have instructed my lawyer to sue him for $10,000 thanks all for your help i have Purchased another car of different model    

It could also be a cracked cylinder head.

2 hours ago, james59 said:

the problem is that it was done by a mechanic that has no reputable certificates so as of today i have instructed my lawyer to sue him for $10,000 thanks all for your help i have Purchased another car of different model    

Yeh, ok