Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Battery recommendations?

Simon Fung

I have a 59 Aygo and need to replace the car Battery. I'll most likely get a stock Battery based on the cars reg, but just wondered if anyone else is using something different?

Thanks

Simon 

I use at least 44AH and CCA of 420 Battery. Aygo can actually take a bigger Battery than the one it came with. That way you are ensured a longer life and easy cranking during winter. A higher AH and CCA than original, does not cost that much extra.There is no point in me telling you exactly which Battery I use since there are different makes in different countries.

Hi, yes like Rajiv says there are a lot of companies.......if you keep to roughly the 'AH' and "CCA" ratings he said you'll be fine, It is well worth shopping around as prices vary a LOT! 

If you choose eBay just make sure the posts (terminal posts) are the correct ones and the same side of Battery as yours,,,,,, here's an eg of what you can expect to pay...   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/012-Varta-B19-Car-Battery-fits-many-Rover-Seat-Skoda-Smart-Toyota-Vauxhall-VW/361285181898?fits=Car+Make%3AToyota|Model%3AAygo&hash=item541e4661ca:g:LmUAAOSwcwhVQ0R8:rk:7:pf:0

I wouldn't recommend Halfords etc mu experience = expensive

Colin

Thanks for your responses Raj and Colin 👍

Colin you're right about Halfords, I just had a look on their site and the cheapest Battery is £95, and that's for 40Ah. 

I had a look at your link and that seems pretty good. I was also looking at this one; https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yuasa-Car-Battery-Calcium-12V-420CCA-50Ah-T1-For-RENAULT-Megane-MK1-2-0/132924746244?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1 which is 420CCA & 50Ah. Same physical dimensions as the one you posted (207mm x 175mm x 190). Which leads me to my next question. I assume those dimensions will fit onto a 59 plate Aygo Battery compartment? 

any info would be appreciated 👍

Many thanks

Simon 

Hi Simon

Most of the ads on eBay have a panel where you can enter your vehicle details to check, most have a phone number either on the ad page or near the name of the seller is a "visit our shop" option to click where you will find their number.......they dont want to sell you the wrong Battery anymore than you want to  buy the wrong one, its a big expense in postage and time so as long as you check first everyones a winner 😉

Colin

dont just go by the dimensions of the Battery

always make sure the terminals are the correct way round before you buy

3 hours ago, eygo said:

dont just go by the dimensions of the battery

always make sure the terminals are the correct way round before you buy

How true. There is a guy in another car forum that bought a car Battery and connected it the wrong way around and fried his car electronics and now the car is dead. Watch your polarity.

quick sketch to illustrate how easy it is to get the wrong Battery even though dimensionally it fits.

battery terminals.jpg

Thanks for the heads up 👍 I thought of this beforehand 🙂 

Just my 2p worth, I got a Bosch S4 in our 107 currently, think that is over 5 years old and still working ok, had few other Bosch batteries over the years in various vehicles usually S5 and had 8 years and (6 years and counting), so worth considering imo.

2 hours ago, Puglet said:

Just my 2p worth, I got a Bosch S4 in our 107 currently, think that is over 5 years old and still working ok, had few other Bosch batteries over the years in various vehicles usually S5 and had 8 years and (6 years and counting), so worth considering imo.

quality is always a good. thing...........I mean would you buy a poundland AA ........20 for a quid or buy Duracell 2 for a quid? .............I know which way Id go 

• 2 weeks later...

just on   batteries ,   was out today putting in some screen wash  and just  noticed how tiny the Battery is   on these,   😁

in all my  25 years of driving  ive only  ever replaced one battery   and that was on my   1988 405 mi16    after doing an engine rebuild and i dropped it  and cracked the case . 

replacing the Battery back then was less than £30 , so seeing   halfords one at £95  for an aygo     certainly opened my eyes a bit    lol