Sign in to follow this  
HSDish

Prius gen 3 (2012-16) PHEV charge/load ampere?

Recommended Posts

 

The current power outlet in my rented garage just supply (just a little more than ) 2 ampere, intended for car heater (totaly 2000W) right now , my housing company says they will install power outlets more suitable for PHEV charge/load in about a year but... Is it possible to charge/load an Prius gen 3 (2012-16) PHEV  at 2 ampere?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

No. The vehicle, on detecting a household supply voltage, will try and draw the full current, around 12 Amps. If you connected this to a 2 Amp maximum rated connection, it will at the every least blow a fuse or trip a breaker. It will likely destroy the 2 Amp rated equipment. At worst, it will melt the supply cables and cause a fire.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ohhps!!! 

Thanks a lot !

Very usefull info. 🙂

Have to wait for the real power outlet equipment, before thinking about PHEV, then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure I understand - you say your current supply is 2A but for a 2kW heater - but at 230V AC (although I'm not sure where you are), you'd need about 9A to provide that kind of power. 2A would only provide about 450W.

The Gen 1 Plug-in uses 2.2 kW or 10A @ 230V AC.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, QuantumFireball said:

I'm not sure I understand - you say your current supply is 2A but for a 2kW heater - but at 230V AC (although I'm not sure where you are), you'd need about 9A to provide that kind of power. 2A would only provide about 450W.

The Gen 1 Plug-in uses 2.2 kW or 10A @ 230V AC.

Thanks! 

Im in sweden. 

Here s a sign That says " only for motor heather "

 

_20190204_150217.JPG

_20190204_150131.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 550W is more in line with about 2.5A (and would be more typical for a block heater), but what is it saying about 2000W?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, QuantumFireball said:

The 550W is more in line with about 2.5A (and would be more typical for a block heater), but what is it saying about 2000W?

It says that the fuse will go/burn if You use Cupe' (cabin/interior) heater/fan (2000w) (maybe it means that the power outlet can can be charged max 2000W ? )

The sign also says that the timer could be set to diliver electricity for 3 hours in a row (I suppose you can reset the timer for 3 more hours emediatly)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My car is drawing 8amps. Why not try a 2kW heater and see if it trips the breaker. the wiring looks like it is up to it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, HSDish said:

It says that the fuse will go/burn if You use Cupe' (cabin/interior) heater/fan (2000w) (maybe it means that the power outlet can can be charged max 2000W ? )

It sounds to me like it's designed for max 550W, and 2kW will just blow the fuse immediately. Inspecting the fuse/breaker would confirm this if you have access to it, I imagine it's only rated for 2.5-3A. You won't be able to charge any PHEV off of that.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this