Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius gen 3 (2012-16) PHEV charge/load ampere?

HSDish

The current power outlet in my rented garage just supply (just a little more than ) 2 ampere, intended for car heater (totaly 2000W) right now , my housing company says they will install power outlets more suitable for PHEV charge/load in about a year but... Is it possible to charge/load an Prius gen 3 (2012-16) PHEV  at 2 ampere?

No. The vehicle, on detecting a household supply voltage, will try and draw the full current, around 12 Amps. If you connected this to a 2 Amp maximum rated connection, it will at the every least blow a fuse or trip a breaker. It will likely destroy the 2 Amp rated equipment. At worst, it will melt the supply cables and cause a fire.

• Thanks 1

Ohhps!!! 

Thanks a lot !

Very usefull info. 🙂

Have to wait for the real power outlet equipment, before thinking about PHEV, then

I'm not sure I understand - you say your current supply is 2A but for a 2kW heater - but at 230V AC (although I'm not sure where you are), you'd need about 9A to provide that kind of power. 2A would only provide about 450W.

The Gen 1 Plug-in uses 2.2 kW or 10A @ 230V AC.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, QuantumFireball said:

I'm not sure I understand - you say your current supply is 2A but for a 2kW heater - but at 230V AC (although I'm not sure where you are), you'd need about 9A to provide that kind of power. 2A would only provide about 450W.

The Gen 1 Plug-in uses 2.2 kW or 10A @ 230V AC.

Thanks! 

Im in sweden. 

Here s a sign That says " only for motor heather "

_20190204_150217.JPG

_20190204_150131.JPG

The 550W is more in line with about 2.5A (and would be more typical for a block heater), but what is it saying about 2000W?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, QuantumFireball said:

The 550W is more in line with about 2.5A (and would be more typical for a block heater), but what is it saying about 2000W?

It says that the fuse will go/burn if You use Cupe' (cabin/interior) heater/fan (2000w) (maybe it means that the power outlet can can be charged max 2000W ? )

The sign also says that the timer could be set to diliver electricity for 3 hours in a row (I suppose you can reset the timer for 3 more hours emediatly)

My car is drawing 8amps. Why not try a 2kW heater and see if it trips the breaker. the wiring looks like it is up to it.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, HSDish said:

It says that the fuse will go/burn if You use Cupe' (cabin/interior) heater/fan (2000w) (maybe it means that the power outlet can can be charged max 2000W ? )

It sounds to me like it's designed for max 550W, and 2kW will just blow the fuse immediately. Inspecting the fuse/breaker would confirm this if you have access to it, I imagine it's only rated for 2.5-3A. You won't be able to charge any PHEV off of that.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links