Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any of you had your windscreen replaced???

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi All

Sadly i got hit by a nasty stone chip on the way back from Coventry night before last, hit my passenger side...very close to the edge of the screen pillar side...turned into a 4cm approx crack...rang Autoglass as per instruction by my insurance peeps...cannot repair if close to the edge...

So what are options guys?

Thought of a replacement kills me as i wouldnt want to lose the black border going around the screen...i like that as it matches all the other glass.

Or should i go dealership? Or 2nd hand route?

Has anyone on here had their Aygo mk1 or mk2s screens replaced my i ask?

Would think that the Autoglass screen would have a similar border around the screen - which they should be able to confirm with you before fitting. 

Hi Sam

You should have glass replacements you insurance .............Ive had mine replaced twice due to stones flung off lorries..........your insurance (unless you stated as a mod) will only replace like for like (so standard) ........if you want the tinted thang you will have to pay extra (which they will do as long as you tell them ......and are willing to pay) 

regards - Colin

The Insurance route will cost about £75.............if you choose dealer or whatever will cost £350 plus..........iits a bugger of a thing to happen ..........my first happened and it was literally 2 weeks later it happened again ............makes one realise insurance is well worth while ......... Good Luck whichever path you choose.........

I have had 3 windscreen replaced in my aygo's last one was fitted in October 2018.

All of these have been fitted by Autoglass without any problems.

They all have black round the edge of the the window it's a standard aygo windscreen.

You have nothing to worry about.

Love you guys

xxx

Bear in mind a windscreen claim is still a claim so it needs to be declared in subsequent years of insurance quotes.

Update,

Went from a 4cm crack to all the way across this morning...scary stuff watching that happen in live 4k action lol. Obviously the frozen screen followed by my teenager switching on the heaters etc.

Anyhoo, bit the bullet, rang my insurance peeps, made payment, Autoglass coming out tomm at some point, oh and they promised that the glass will be an exact of the original etc, even went on to say that the Aygo screen is manufactured by Toyota...nerve of the sales woman because that has to be a blatant lie !

Fingers crossed all goes well, ill have to lose my dab aerial fixed to this old windscreen because they arent easy to peel off sadly!!!

Ill be glad when its over and fingers crossed its a clear screen with no distortions etc.

Make the windscreen fitter a cup of tea and I'm sure they will stick the aerial on the glass for you. 

1 hour ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Fingers crossed all goes well, ill have to lose my dab aerial fixed to this old windscreen because they arent easy to peel off sadly!!!

tried a hairdryer to soften the glue?

sam have autoglass remove the aerial then use some automotive double sided tape to hold the aerial back on the glass,

if they are in a good mood they may fix it back on for you.

here is a link for some tape

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Double-Sided-Automotive-Permanent-Self-Adhesive-Foam-Car-Trim-Body-Tape-T1/122957906895?var=423407974102

Cheers guys, ill ask him, the aerial is one of these...

https://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/stereo-fitting-accessories/autoleads-dab-film-antenna-smb-dab-aa1?_br_psugg_q=dab+aerial

Not sure if double sided would work, more important if it would actuallypeel away even once heated with a hair dryer as the element if i call it that looks pretty fragile. Hey ho ill just buy a new one, the windscreen comes first i guess.

wonder how he’ll be sticking my centre view mirror on...or do i do that myself too?

I had a new screen in my iQ a couple of years ago, I had similar concerns. 

The replacement screen is a Pilkington glass one but an exact copy of the original with the black surround. The new screen also came with the metal mirror mount already bonded into place so the mirror was a simple screw fit. 

I thought I'd save some time and take the interior door pillar trims off myself but the chap said they do all the work from the outside so no need. They also fitted new black trims strips around the screen to the body. 

I was very impressed, quick work and it looks (looked) factory fresh. Only downside was the iQ screen isn't exactly common so they had to order one and that took 4 weeks to obtain and they wanted to fit it in the workshop rather than outside. Drawbacks of driving a rare car I guess.

Craig.

the body trim tape is strong its designed to fasten body trims / mouldings , badges onto the car body

so it has to be able to withstand all weather conditions heat and cold

Okayyy then...job done...woo hoo!

Had the screen replaced, looks similar to the original with the black boarders etc, can tell its not as thick as an original, but hey it looks good, shiney clean and new, im happy.

And the gentleman agreed to attempt to refit my dab aerial, not bad, it didnt break, so a win win.

Fingers crossed i dont crack this one!

• Like 1