Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Breakdown cover or the 5 year warranty?

Bowruss

Do I need breakdown cover when I have the5 year warranty, including Europe?

Thanks, Russ

Really only you can decide whether or not you want breakdown cover, what level you want, and which provider to go for.

The five year new car warranty won't get you to a Toyota dealer if the car breaks down, whether or not the repair is covered by the warranty. Without breakdown cover, one would have to pay to get the vehicle transported to a garage.

Toyota Roadside Assistance is competitively priced and provides quite wide coverage - https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/roadside-assistance/ - but there are other breakdown services you can consider and different levels of cover.

Hmm.  Thanks for your point FB.  So if I get stranded by a failure that is covered by warranty and I ring it in, Toyota won't get me to their garage?  I remember MobiloLife with Mercedes and they certainly would.  Plus paying reasonable overnight costs if necessary.  They also sent a mobile tech to sort out a start fail which turned out to be a dud Battery.  

I think you're right about Toyota breakdown cover.  They do seem cheaper than the usual suspects.

Russ

The issue with a breakdown would be that the dealer wouldn't be able to determine whether the fault is warranty related until they've seen the car.

We've had new cars from Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Mazda, and Hyundai, and things like recovery, overnight stays, loan car, etc were part of the breakdown services, rather than the new car warranty. 

Mercedes Mobilo is an insurance package which, after the first two years, gets renewed when the vehicle is serviced by a Mercedes dealer. Similar to breakdown services offered by others.

You may also benefit from having breakdown cover for things like punctures, which is when I've used it. Especially if you've just got an repair kit and not a spare.

Thanks for your points.  I think on balance I'll be ringing Toyota for breakdown quote.  As I now have a RAV4 as well as the Prius, I might be able to swing a two car deal!

Thanks again. Russ

I have my Prius (2016) and the wife’s Auris Hybrid (2010) and been with the same breakdown company since 2010. I chose home start to be included, deemed it as important as roadside breakdown. Used the system total 4 times now, including once when starter motor failed in wife’s C1 and it had to be carried to my chosen destination- a garage 50 yards from where we live. Renewed cover last September at £58 for the two, NOT each. As a genuine customer I can recommend Start Rescue. They even have an app you put on your phone, contact Start Rescue and the app tells them the coordinates where you are.

The Toyota cover (by the AA) is around £70 IIRC all in, home start, breakdown, recovery etc. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links