Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel additive performance boost

bill.belfield

Took my Yaris Hybrid for its MOT last week to the local Toyota garage. Passed, recommended fuel additive, £10 so said yes.

Don't know what was in it but it goes like the clappers, smoother, quieter and a good performance boost.

Has anyone else tried fuel additive and got the same result. Furthermore , can i get it in easily digested tablet form ?..

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Did they tell you exactly what "fuel additive" it was?

Two words - Snake Oil. If these go faster, run cleaner etc. additives were any good I'm sure the fuel companies would add them and make a big song and dance.

Placebo effect.

Exactly my thoughts! [emoji6]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, mrpj said:

4 hours ago, mrpj said:

Two words - Snake Oil. If these go faster, run cleaner etc. additives were any good I'm sure the fuel companies would add them and make a big song and dance.

Placebo effect. 

They do!!!

The difference can be felt the most by those who regularly fill cheapest fuel available. If you fill premium fuel from reputable brands then such additives don't have nearly as much effect.

But to outright say they don't do anything and are snake oil is basically admitting that you don't know enough about the subject.

Also, if you suspect that one or more of your diesel injectors are starting to nail, running diesel purge or its fuel additive cousin will make the nailing more pronounced, and so confirming that the noise isn't tappets or bearings inside the engine.

• Like 1

I know plenty about "the subject" thanks and is exactly why I have NEVER filled up with "the cheapest fuel available"! (and I wouldn't touch a diesel with a barge pole either...) Read up on them (after market fuel additives). Most proper tests show that they have a negligible effect on a well maintained and serviced vehicle. By "negligible", I mean an ongoing "repeatable cost benefit" when you use the stuff regularly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

For my two-pennyworth. The only noticeable difference I've found in fuel grades was in an early 750cc Panda. Using expensive, premium petrol 'seemed to' make the throttle more progressive, but no noticeable difference in performance, economy or anything else.

I never used premium diesel in any of my previous oil burners, which I abandoned a decade or more ago.

I've always put a couple of tankfuls of premium through my current car every year, as it appeared to improve the economy for a while, but it hasn't this year!

Don't know what I'll do in the future, as it's now out of warranty and all bills will be down to me.

Then I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this since I've used such products previously and seen them used (not the cheap sTp stuff though) and have seen first-hand the effects, how the engine itself is quieter, the idle is smoother, and acceleration is more responsive. This is on diesels though, and the quality of diesel varies greatly from country to country, and not all countries have access to good stuff.

It might be that you can't see any difference since everything in your cars has been working perfectly, but for those in worse areas with no access to good fuel it's only logical that stuff gets fouled up. Heck, I've also seen first-hand what cheap diesel does to the intake manifolds of cars versus premium diesel from Finland, for example.

• Like 1

Up until a couple of years ago, we ran a Fiat 500 Twinair 85bhp.  Absolutely super-dooper car and went like a pocket rocket, but the huge two doors were a pain in the wotsit and the boot space wasn't good.  Sad to see it go, but it wasn't practical for us.

However, I digress ........... sorry.

I  always fill up with supermarket fuel.  Never ever an issue over all the cars and all the mileage.  From first owning the 500TA, I monitored the fuel consumption from full tank to full tank so I knew the MPG we were getting etc. I tried Shell RON99 premium for a while and tried to detect an improvement.  To be frank, there wasn't a ha'porth of difference.  Best smoothest performance improvement we ever got was changing the spark plugs.

Mick.

• Like 1

Hey Mick,

So you're talking about a petrol. Petrols definitely don't have nearly as much difference and petrol engines aren't nearly as sensitive to bad petrol as diesels are to bad diesel.

If you buy a new diesel and fill it up with supermarket diesel only, you can pull the intake manifold after a year or two and you'd be disgusted at what's in there. Petrols don't have that problem.

I guess that's why there's such a contrast of opinions in this thread.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Byzii said:

Hey Mick,

So you're talking about a petrol. Petrols definitely don't have nearly as much difference and petrol engines aren't nearly as sensitive to bad petrol as diesels are to bad diesel.

If you buy a new diesel and fill it up with supermarket diesel only, you can pull the intake manifold after a year or two and you'd be disgusted at what's in there. Petrols don't have that problem.

I guess that's why there's such a contrast of opinions in this thread.

I understand that with diesels, but the OP is about a Yaris Hybrid.

Mick.

I've tried all 4 of my Toyota hybrids on ordinary fuels, both from major supermarkets and major companies and also BP Ultimate and Tesco Momentum.

No difference on any of them, performance or MPG

Never had any fuel systems issues, never needed any magic cleaners or boosters.

• Like 2