Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nexen tyres for Avensis Tourer?

Duracell

Morning 

Looking for some opinions please. Had the car for almost a year and need new tyres soon. Was going to get Goodyear Efficient grips at £108 each but heard good things about Nexen Nblue HD Plus at £75 each.

Any thoughts/experiences appreciated. 

Thanks for your reply. 

Yes, I've looked into the benefits of michelin crossclimates and have to say they sound perfect for the uk climate. Only drawback is price. Not saying they aren't worth it - just that £150 per tyre is too much for me, unfortunately.

Additionally, advice seems to suggest against getting crossclimates on, say both fronts first then doing the rears later in order to spread the cost. So, £600 in one go. 😮

I went for Goodyear 4Seasons Gen2, depending on which review you read just as good as the Michelins, in the recent snow no problems and NO comparison to the OEM Toyo's super slippery in all conditions! Ordered from BlackCircles and fitted locally, the Nexen's have not been well rated in most reviewers tests. Most reviews say do not fit all seasons/winter tyres unless it's a complete set, as it can cause dangerous unbalance handling.  

Honest John Quote.

"You should always fit winter tyres as a set of four. While you might think they will only work on the driven wheels, using only two cold weather tyres can destabilise your car in difficult conditions. This can cause the car to lose traction and reduce braking just when you need them the most."

I run my Avensis tourer on Nokian Weatherproof all-season tyres and am very happy with them.  Possibly not as quiet as Michelins, but certainly cheaper and wearing extremely well.  Have a good steering feel to them too.  They're made in Finland, so you can be sure they'll be good in the cold.  I got mine delivered from Tyreleader at a very good price then took them to a local garage for fitting.

Thanks for replies guys. 

I shat it - getting 2 Goodyears fitted on Friday. 

Cheers

12 minutes ago, Garth-1 said:

I run my Avensis tourer on Nokian Weatherproof all-season tyres and am very happy with them.  Possibly not as quiet as Michelins, but certainly cheaper and wearing extremely well.  Have a good steering feel to them too.  They're made in Finland, so you can be sure they'll be good in the cold.  I got mine delivered from Tyreleader at a very good price then took them to a local garage for fitting.

Heard really good things about Nokian tyres. Glad they suit the tourer. Maybe worth a look next time. 

16 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Heard really good things about Nokian tyres. Glad they suit the tourer. Maybe worth a look next time. 

The UK distributor is in Dumfries & you can take your car there if you want/are planning to be in the area.

Just checked out prices for Nokian Weatherproof - seems reasonable for an all season tyre. Closer to my price range than crossclimates or vector 4 season.

Hi I run my Toyota on Falken tyres get good mileage from them.

I priced up Falkens - £95 fully fitted locally. Had them before with no complaints. Managed to find Goodyears for £102 fitted so felt it was worth paying a wee bit extra for the Goodyears. 

In this review Nexen N Blue 4 Season do well but they say "When looking at the results of this test from a UK view point, ADAC have put more weighting on the snow and ice performance than we would for UK specific driving." Good for the price though.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2018-ADAC-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

Had this debate myself and went for the Goodyear Efficient Grips a couple of months back. 

Really happy with them, quieter than the Michelin Primacys that were on it before, much better grip and also 3mpg better consumption than the Michelins despite the colder weather. 1.8 petrol was 38mpg now 41mpg - used for commuting on same journey every day so fairly fair indicator.

Would thoroughly recommend them.......  although don't know about wear though yet!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Phil T said:

In this review Nexen N Blue 4 Season do well but they say "When looking at the results of this test from a UK view point, ADAC have put more weighting on the snow and ice performance than we would for UK specific driving." Good for the price though.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2018-ADAC-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

Can't find these in the size i need - 215/55/17. Good find though.

In dealership. Interestingly the new 2019 Corolla has factory fitted Falken tyres. Wouldn't have expected that. 

• 4 months later...

Our Kia Ceed SW came with Michelin XrossClimate and we changed to the Nexen Nblue when the XC were down to the last 4mm, can't say I felt any different with my type of driving (average-relaxed).

The Nexen lived for another three years and swapped for the Nexen rebadgged Roadstone on the original 17" rims, still all feel the same.

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

On 2/8/2019 at 11:04 AM, Duracell said:

Interestingly the new 2019 Corolla has factory fitted Falken tyres.

Why? Falken are owned by Sumitomo Rubber who used to own Dunlop.

Hi, Nexen tyres are quality tyres mid range, they are as good as Kumho and Hankook but for each model and size there are differences that needs to be considered. Goodyear efficient grip performance is the best tyre on the market in terms of comfort, performance in wet and quiet touring on motorways, their drawback is that they have a fairly soft walls and they are prone to side walls damage plus not that great at high speed cornering. For an average driver or someone who drives a lot and normally not racers this is a great choice.