Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacing '07 2AD-FTV engine with later one

Sweaty Sock

I know the engine problems with this 2AD-FTV have been done to death previously. I have bought a 2007 100kW/134hp pup and the engine has failed in time honoured fashion at 100k miles. How easy is it to replace with the more reliable 2009> engine? Can it be replaced with a 110kW/148hp one? Are the ECUs different on later models?

Please point me in the direction if I haven't found the appropriate thread.

Many thanks.

Just been through the same thing. 122k and the engine starts mixing coolant and oil. I have ended up with a replacement engine from a 2009. The people who did mine said the only way to know which engine fits is by the BHP output as they are all(non Dcat) called 2AD FTV. The ECU doesn't match and I think (may be wrong) after 2009 there was the addition of a DPF.

New engine for mine cost 1400 with a new clutch. Fitted. You have to deal in the murky world of breakers. Is it running at the moment, yes. Will the problem surface again,who knows. Apart from the engine the car is tidy so seemed a waste not to get it done. Still feels a big gamble. If I had known about the engine issues would I have purchased the car ...... Definitely not.

• Sad 1

You echo all my thoughts and frustrations with this. Thanks for the heads up about the BHP thing. Off to speak to a tame breaker tomorrow...

There was a post from Devon Aygo back in 2015 that may (or may not) be useful - it identified which engines went into which RAV4 model years.

I'm no mechanic so take anything I say with a pinch of salt ... I'm pretty sure that any of the engines will physically fit - it's just a case of how many ancillary components you'd need to 'upgrade' at the same time. The only real "straight swap" would appear to be a 2.2 D4D 136bhp (called the 2AD-FTV) engine from 2005-2009. A 2.2 D4D 148bhp 2AD-FTV from a Manual transmission RAV4 from 2009 / 2010 might be a viable alternative having neither DPF nor D-CAT (DPNR) emmissions reduction technology added though I've genuinely no idea what other components may need to be swapped. Anything later will have DPF or D-CAT.

1 had 2x 2.2 2AD-FTVs 150bhps in Avensis - a 2007 & a 2012. They had different injectors & rail connectors (3-pin & 6-pin iirc) & I wouldn't be at all surprised if the ECUs were different too.