Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Battery charge problem

Alanofyork

We have a toyota iq2-2011-multidrive-1.0vvti 28k miles  passed on from member of family- has been doing only 1000 miles per year last 4 years previous to us- kept in garage -taken for run every 2 weeks (30mins)= went to start today- flat -so charging at moment. I wonder is this a problem with conventional Battery or the hybrid Battery?. This happened before and charging the conventional battrey worked. Confuses me as I though hybrid Battery turns engine over and conventional does lights and accessories. I need to read more. I havent had time as car passed to me after death of family member who owned car (a lot of other things to do on this)..Anyone help.?

Car has extended warranty until 2020- mot and service due in couple of weeks- unsure even whether to through Toyota dealership etc

Any advice appreciated

Thanks Alan

So, the IQ is a Hybrid?

• Like 1

The IQ isn't a hybrid, so doesn't have a hybrid Battery.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Catlover said:

So, the IQ is a Hybrid?

Received wisdom- I am beginning to doubt it Catlover-I may have been fed incorrect info-can find nothing in manual to suggest this-thanks for help-please helping if you have time thanks Alan

Just now, FROSTYBALLS said:

The IQ isn't a hybrid, so doesn't have a hybrid battery.

Thank you frostyballs- I have believed diff info without checking myself- I am even more of a cynic now (already 99%)- sounds like bad 45ah Battery from infrequent use if not a drain...and woudl any of you go to Toyota dealership for mot/service- past bills seem very high

If the extended warranty is a Toyota extended warranty, the vehicle has to be serviced by a Toyota dealer during the warranty period. As the car is over five years old, you can take advantage of Toyota's reduced cost servicing, Essential Care - see https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/service-mot-maintenance/servicing

There is also a current offer on of an Essential Care silver service and MOT for £99 - see https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/99-service-mot-offer?utm_source=ToyotaOwnersClub&utm_media=FB&utm_source=ToyotaOwnersClub&utm_medium=ForumLinks

One needs to mention the £99 service and MOT offer when booking the service.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

If the extended warranty is a Toyota extended warranty, the vehicle has to be serviced by a Toyota dealer during the warranty period. As the car is over five years old, you can take advantage of Toyota's reduced cost servicing, Essential Care - see https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/service-mot-maintenance/servicing

There is also a current offer on of an Essential Care silver service and MOT for £99 - see https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/99-service-mot-offer?utm_source=ToyotaOwnersClub&utm_media=FB&utm_source=ToyotaOwnersClub&utm_medium=ForumLinks

Thank you. I am going to look into this in the next few days. Have been overrun with admin so your answer and others have been a big help. I have had many cars but my father in laws servicing bills seem very high and I am keen not to fall into any trap. I might have more questions if stuck-help so far great!

The Toyota service and MOT is a really good deal. A MOT is about £40-£45, so a service for £55-£60 is really good. I just hope the offer is still running when the wifes Auris Hybrid is due end of May.

Just for your info, Toyota Hybrid cars do have 2 batteries. A 12v which basically turns on the car computer which makes the big heavy voltage Battery to make itself ready. Certainly the larger Toyota Hybrids ie Prius, Auris, Rav etc (dont know about Yaris) dont have a starter motor, alternator, nor clutch, so thats a lot of things that can go wrong not there to go wrong. The car recharges the big Battery as it moves (wheel rotation), starts to move on big Battery thus gets 1.5 ton of vehicle moving, has planetary gears which negates a clutch of any sort, and gives seemless gear ratios (always in the right gear for any given speed. Very reliable system. Even the big battery, which could baulk a potential buyer because of its high replacement cost, has a 10 years of guarantee so long as you have it Toyota tested annually for £40 (free if done with a Toyota service. Even a battery test towards the end of the 10th year gives an extra year warrant, effectively 11 years. Plus, there are 30 cells (think its 30) that can be replaced individually, and can be bought new or reconditioned, all of which makes the battery very affordable over its life - and I have not yet seen a car for sale with a new high voltage battery. Remember all of this if you ever going to consider a Toyota Hybrid. 

• Like 1

The iQ Battery is small capacity compared with most cars and is susceptible to drainage if the car is left for unused for some time (the keyless ignition transceiver is constantly 'looking' for the key and consequently slowly drains the battery).

I find I need to trickle charge ours every couple of weeks (mainly in winter when the engine oil is thicker) if we haven't done a 15 minute (5 mile) journey in the interim to 'top up' the Battery (this is a second car and it does less than 2000 miles per year).

6 years ago the Battery failed when one of the anodes collapsed (possibly a consequence of all those short journeys of 2 miles). New battery has been ok since we've been more careful with maintaining its charge.

• Like 1

Another thought... If, when your iQ had been kept in a garage, it was left unlocked, then there would have been no Battery drain.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would say its just not run enough , and when locked the system is draining the Battery, had the same on an iq, same scenario, locked in a garage and very little use equaled flat Battery. Just needs more than 30 minutes every couple of weeks. Depending on what you want to do with it, if i was keeping it i'd replace the Battery and use the car more, if not when you put it away, dont lock it.  The battery on my own iq3 failed at around 120k miles, got a replacement from toyota and would you believe it,the battery was a dud, they did exchange it for a good one. I get mine serviced on a service plan with toyota, mind i'm doing about 13 to 14k miles a year with it, works out fine for me.

Regarding the service/MOT offer... yes it is 'good' but the Silver Service actually only includes an oil and filter change. Although the list of items to be looked at looks impressive, they are all just 'check and inspect', the majority of which are done anyway for the MOT (such as lights, steering, pedal security etc etc.

Alan,

Your IQ is a 2011 model so potentially it still has the original Battery fitted. If it is original then it has lasted approximately 8 years which is good. A lot of other manufacturers batteries require replacement before they reach anywhere near 8 years old. 

Funnily enough mine was 8 years old when it was changed

Some auto shops have free Battery checks and so do independent Battery suppliers,wonder if should be your first of call .Like start with the basics and then go from those results

Del