Do Not Sell My Personal Information

timing chain noise comming back after replacement

monkeydave

as some of you may remember last year i had chain noise and after lots and lots of complaining they eventually changed the chain, tensioner and guides, but over the last few weeks the noise is comming back, not as back as before but its getting there.

seeing as they changed everything, what is causing this to come back, another faulty tensioner?

just loosing all interest in so called toyota quality

have a listen for yourself

file 2660 is before the engine is fully up to temp and then the noise goes away completely

file 2661 is a cold start with the noise there at the start and then goes away but it comes back before going away when the car is fully up to temp

You did change the oil and oil filter when you changed the chain?  And used the correct oil and Toyota filter?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Madasafish said:

You did change the oil and oil filter when you changed the chain?  And used the correct oil and Toyota filter?

thanks for replying

it was done at the main dealer in march 2018 and the oil was changed it lasted almost 10 months and 6000 miles before this noise started to come back, the same as the old noise

they changed the chain, tensioner and guides. they even changed the water pump last service

i have not contacted the dealer yet, but there is still nearly 3 years of warranty left. i cannot believe the same noise has come back after the amount of parts that were replaced and the amount of arguing with the dealer in the first place to get the job done, and after the job was done it was quiet as it should be for 10 month at least

im very dissapointed by the quality of this "mazda" engine and the rust on the tailgate so when the new jazz comes out next year i will be going back to honda, buit in japan and not france

this is not what i expect from a car (i have had since new) that is just over two years old with just under 17000 miles on it

36 minutes ago, monkeydave said:

quality of this "mazda" engine

The 1FE-NR engine has had no involvement by Mazda, and is not a Mazda engine.

Perhaps there is some one off hidden issue here such as a blocked oil way in the head that is starving the chain/tensioner assembly (as in blocked by some problem when the head was cast). Maybe approach Toyota directly and set your concerns out together with the history of the failed repair. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mooly said:

Perhaps there is some one off hidden issue here such as a blocked oil way in the head that is starving the chain/tensioner assembly (as in blocked by some problem when the head was cast). Maybe approach Toyota directly and set your concerns out together with the history of the failed repair. 

thanks for your reply

the thing about that is that it goes quiet and normal running after it warms up and doesnt use a drop of oil either, the noise is def coming from the chain as i compared it to videos i took before the work was carried out

plus it was normal sounding after the work carried out for 6000 miles +

A blocked oilway or oil jet wouldn't burn or use oil... but it could accelerate wear on whatever it 'squirted' onto. A new chain assembly might well be quiet initially, even running with inadequate lubrication, however as it wears the noise issue appears. The hot oil could would flow better and perhaps just enough reaches the chain to quieten it down when everything is up to temperature. 

Imagine filling a washing up bottle with cold oil and squeezing it. How far is it going to squirt? Now do the same with hot oil that has the consistency of say cooking oil. There would be a big difference.

Following on from Mooly's post, I had a tour of the Triumph motorcycle factory in Hinckley a few years ago.  When we got to the area where newly-finished engine castings were being cleaned after having being machined, my guide said that this was the most difficult job in the factory - making sure that all the aluminium swarf, flashings etc.etc, were completely removed from the casting and all its passageways (i.e. from the oil and coolant galleries). 

On that site this was being done by one man standing behind a see-through shield, using a high-pressure-liquid, spray gun.  It's easy to imagine that a bit of aluminium could get left inside a casting (with all due respect to Triumph and Toyota!) and cause a restriction.

I don't envy your trying to explain that concern to your local dealer, though.

Knowing dealers and corporate Toyota, they will keep replacing the chain every 10 to 12 months until the warranty runs out and then you either sell the car immediately or you're SOL.

I have read through this post, and it seems that the fault was fixed, not the cause!

Mooly hit the nail on the head. The timing chain, guides and tensioner were all replaced, but was the lubrication system checked for blockage and cleared, engine flushed?

I have always changed the oil regularly, since owning my current Avensis, using 0w-20 fully synthetic oil, recommended grade in the handbook. 

I was going to say, I watch a lot of engineering videos on YouTube, and they say to look further than the actual problem, or you will be doing the same work over again.

Take it back to Toyota. The car is 2016 model so should be covered by the warranty, unless I am mistaken. I think the engine needs a strip down, especially in the lubrication side. A flush might work if the the oil ways can be unblocked, but an  engine strip or replacement would fix the problem. Oh and another timing chain kit replacement! 

8 hours ago, Konrad C said:

I have read through this post, and it seems that the fault was fixed, not the cause!

Mooly hit the nail on the head. The timing chain, guides and tensioner were all replaced, but was the lubrication system checked for blockage and cleared, engine flushed?

I have always changed the oil regularly, since owning my current Avensis, using 0w-20 fully synthetic oil, recommended grade in the handbook. 

I was going to say, I watch a lot of engineering videos on YouTube, and they say to look further than the actual problem, or you will be doing the same work over again.

Take it back to Toyota. The car is 2016 model so should be covered by the warranty, unless I am mistaken. I think the engine needs a strip down, especially in the lubrication side. A flush might work if the the oil ways can be unblocked, but an  engine strip or replacement would fix the problem. Oh and another timing chain kit replacement! 

thanks for your reply

i dont know what they did as the main dealer did the work, i do know they use 0w20 fully synth oil and that the car had its oil changed at 6000 miles first service and again at 10000 miles for the chain replacement and then again at 14000 for the second service, the car is now at 17000 and the noise has started over the last 1000 miles or so

it is a pity it doesnt use the screw in type tensioner that fits from the outside of the engine block rather than stripping the side off again, i think they will prob fob me off as they did at first until the noise got worse

im sure it wont have any blockage with all those oil changes and after running it with the oil cap off the chain is getting plenty of oil on it and it is defanately the cause of the noise, although the oil pressure getting to the tensioner cannot be seen.

i will see how it goes before taking it in as this dealer likes to fob you off a lot and failed on other jobs too

they do not fill me with confidence and all other main dealers are far away and by the time i get there the noise will have gone away

im just glad i bought it pre reg as i would be fuming it i paid £16.5k for it, it was only 2.5 months old when i got it with 26 miles

very dissapointed purchase which i will not be making again

8 hours ago, Byzii said:

Knowing dealers and corporate Toyota, they will keep replacing the chain every 10 to 12 months until the warranty runs out and then you either sell the car immediately or you're SOL.

thanks for your reply

yes you hit the nail on the head, thinking of trading in instead of putting up with all the hassle

8 hours ago, Gerg said:

Following on from Mooly's post, I had a tour of the Triumph motorcycle factory in Hinckley a few years ago.  When we got to the area where newly-finished engine castings were being cleaned after having being machined, my guide said that this was the most difficult job in the factory - making sure that all the aluminium swarf, flashings etc.etc, were completely removed from the casting and all its passageways (i.e. from the oil and coolant galleries). 

On that site this was being done by one man standing behind a see-through shield, using a high-pressure-liquid, spray gun.  It's easy to imagine that a bit of aluminium could get left inside a casting (with all due respect to Triumph and Toyota!) and cause a restriction.

I don't envy your trying to explain that concern to your local dealer, though.

thanks for your reply

no me either, they would look at me with their usual blank look

9 hours ago, Mooly said:

A blocked oilway or oil jet wouldn't burn or use oil... but it could accelerate wear on whatever it 'squirted' onto. A new chain assembly might well be quiet initially, even running with inadequate lubrication, however as it wears the noise issue appears. The hot oil could would flow better and perhaps just enough reaches the chain to quieten it down when everything is up to temperature. 

Imagine filling a washing up bottle with cold oil and squeezing it. How far is it going to squirt? Now do the same with hot oil that has the consistency of say cooking oil. There would be a big difference.

thanks for your explanation, its certainly something to consider

At the end of the day, if the issue has reappeared despite the previous warranty repair, rather than keep going back to the dealer, you need to raise the issue directly with Toyota GB and ask for their intervention - https://www.toyota.co.uk/contact-us/

This was suggested previously when you first had the problem.

• Thanks 1