Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Auris e15 1600 remap

Chris McGlasson

Hi does anyone know if the 1600 vvti auris ecu is locked or not , wanting to get it remapped but unsure if this can be done

there is no point on a naturally aspirated engine.

• Like 1

Yeah I was going to get a crackle and pop map on it but I’ve been told that this isn’t possible ? Can you shed any light on why ?

e.g. https://www.autoevolution.com/news/steve-dinan-explains-why-ecu-tuning-naturally-aspirated-engines-is-useless-video-101260.html You could perhaps get some more power on an NA with a remap but it is likely to be 10% or less whereas on forced induction they will whack up the boost to gain a lot more (but likely at the cost of much finer margins on reliability).

There will also be sheer demand - much less demand for a remap on a 1.6 VVTi than on e.g. a VW 2.0 turbodiesel so much less experience. & it took ~ 10 years before somebody cracked the Denso ECU encryption on the AD series diesels, not sure if the VVTis are the same but there won't have been the same demand (& therefore return on effort/investment) to do so.

To get pop & crackle I believe that they lean the mixture & !Removed! the spark but I imagine that you also need a fairly hot exhaust (it's unburnt fuel burning in the exhaust that makes the noise).

I would imagine that your best chance would be to ask somebody like Fensport but I don't think that you will get a lot for your money unless you start making hardware changes too & then the costs will start to rocket (once the power goes up you will also want better brakes & handling).

Yeah I see your point for gains, but the 1.6 vvti isn’t the quickest engine around and there is little to none aftermarket parts for them, what I’m going on it a full decat exhaust and hope for the best it crackles and pops, without a stand-alone ecu I don’t think crackle and pop map is possible

With the changes to the MOT introduced last May, removing the catalyst will mean a major MOT fail.

yeah this will need to be swapped out, I’m only going to remove the cat and do a sound test, if it sounds to loud and lacks power I can add a silencer into the ststem