Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gear linkage

Luke4efc

Hi all,

I've been trying to figure out why our auris has such bad gear changes. Booked into the garage, however they didn't have time to look it at so decided to tackle it myself. When I asked them about it they said it's a common fault with the auris and the linkage just needs cleaning. Not quite sure what this means as I thought it was always rubber bushes that needed replacing that caused this sort of problem. Anyone have any ideas?

Might be a help to know what year the Auris is and whether it is petrol, diesel or hybrid.

Lol sorry I'm used to the Ford forum where it's all listed in my profile.

It's a mk1 (2010) 1.3 petrol with the 6 speed manual box.

What kind of bad changes are you experiencing? Loud crunchy ones, or difficulty snicking into particular gears, or trouble changing up, or down? Or even a complete refusal to enter 2,4,6 (or 1,3,5), or just the upper gears?

You've got two linkage cables, one of which does left/right and the other one does up/down. It's possible for those cables to get out of line, in which case they need adjusting either at the top or the bottom of the linkages (it can be either).

I haven't had trouble with my Auris's linkages, but on my old VW Passat I had some stiffness/refusals when engaging certain gears with the engine hot. It turned out to be caused by water getting onto a ball joint and creating muck, down where the linkage meets the gearbox. My independent garage stripped and cleaned it, and it fixed everything. Cost me about £80, which was great because I was half-expecting a new gearbox. :happy:

If your change is crunchy, it could be a clutch issue. But it never hurts to replace the gearbox oil - it worked wonders for my noisy old Focus. 

• 1 year later...

HI, I already posted I have an issue with a 2009 1.33 Auris VVTI, petrol, 6 gears, 

It will go into 3rd and 6th gear easily engine off or on , also reverse will go in no problem, but when I try to move the gearstick back from reverse over the bridge to neutral it is very hard and I have to wiggle it to get it to come back over,,, I can also just about slot it into 1st gear if I get in-between 1st and reverse,,

I am a little bit stumped, it will go into these gears engine off or on, it will not got into any other gears what so ever engine off or on 😞

• 1 year later...
On 5/22/2020 at 6:53 PM, alesypalsy said:

HI, I already posted I have an issue with a 2009 1.33 Auris VVTI, petrol, 6 gears, 

It will go into 3rd and 6th gear easily engine off or on , also reverse will go in no problem, but when I try to move the gearstick back from reverse over the bridge to neutral it is very hard and I have to wiggle it to get it to come back over,,, I can also just about slot it into 1st gear if I get in-between 1st and reverse,,

I am a little bit stumped, it will go into these gears engine off or on, it will not got into any other gears what so ever engine off or on 😞

Hi, It's uncanny but I have exactly the same issue, could you shed some light on how you managed to resolve the issue if you did? Any information would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

I had the same problem with my Mk2 Yaris - It seems to be a semi-common issue with the combination of 1NR-FE and 6-speed gearbox.

There is a TSB DevonAgyo posted years ago that applies to the Mk2 and Mk3 Yaris with the 1NR-FE engine, but like the TSB for the Avensis 1CD-FTV starter motor problem, I suspect it may be relevant to other cars with the same engine+gearbox combo.

That TSB fixed the issue in my old Mk2 - It's basically adjusting the gear selector cables. My theory is they weren't tightened down properly in the factory and have slipped out a bit over the years, causing the gear selection to become misaligned.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links