Sign in to follow this  
Luke4efc

Gear linkage

Hi all,

I've been trying to figure out why our auris has such bad gear changes. Booked into the garage, however they didn't have time to look it at so decided to tackle it myself. When I asked them about it they said it's a common fault with the auris and the linkage just needs cleaning. Not quite sure what this means as I thought it was always rubber bushes that needed replacing that caused this sort of problem. Anyone have any ideas?

Might be a help to know what year the Auris is and whether it is petrol, diesel or hybrid.

Lol sorry I'm used to the Ford forum where it's all listed in my profile.

It's a mk1 (2010) 1.3 petrol with the 6 speed manual box.

What kind of bad changes are you experiencing? Loud crunchy ones, or difficulty snicking into particular gears, or trouble changing up, or down? Or even a complete refusal to enter 2,4,6 (or 1,3,5), or just the upper gears?

You've got two linkage cables, one of which does left/right and the other one does up/down. It's possible for those cables to get out of line, in which case they need adjusting either at the top or the bottom of the linkages (it can be either).

I haven't had trouble with my Auris's linkages, but on my old VW Passat I had some stiffness/refusals when engaging certain gears with the engine hot. It turned out to be caused by water getting onto a ball joint and creating muck, down where the linkage meets the gearbox. My independent garage stripped and cleaned it, and it fixed everything. Cost me about £80, which was great because I was half-expecting a new gearbox. :happy:

If your change is crunchy, it could be a clutch issue. But it never hurts to replace the gearbox Oil - it worked wonders for my noisy old Focus.