Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Code Reader

TP49

Went out the other morning, I started the car and the EML light stayed illuminated drove to my local garage but their code reader couldn't get into the cars computer. So looking on the web and the old TEOC web site I came across a code reader from Diagnostic world called the iCarsoft i1905. I emailed the company and they assured me it is compatible with the Estima to diagnose problems and reset the computer so I ordered one and waiting for delivery. For £99 I am hoping it will do as it says on the tin. I will relay any results as and when I take delivery of it. Here's hoping. It's strange as the EML light sometimes  goes out after driving a couple of miles  then might come on intermittently or not. Will see what happens.

Be interesting to see what the fault turns out to be, Tony.....intermittent EML's are always a pain...I initially thought O2 sensor because of how many you've got on your bus.

Update to this thread, I ordered the i1905 on Friday and received it this morning two garages equipment could not read any code. After reading the instructions went down to my local garage plugged the device into car and going then choose Toyota also covers Lexus  then choose Diagnose  and got the reading up o2 sensor bank one. Well pleased with the code reader very good quality. Sensor on order.  I think the service from diagnostic-world.com is really good.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice one, Tony...and as you know, a failed 02 sensor would have been my bet..:smile:

At least you know you are well equipped now should you ever get another EML.

3 hours ago, RUToyota said:

Nice one, Tony...and as you know, a failed 02 sensor would have been my bet..:smile:

At least you know you are well equipped now should you ever get another EML.

Well done you.

Glad it worked out for you, that's quite an expensive code reader.

It's really strange why 2 independent garages couldn't hook up to Toyota's ECU, IIRC it's possible to see some data even with VAGCOM, not to mention the array of cheap ELM adapters available that can also read the codes.

4 hours ago, Byzii said:

Glad it worked out for you, that's quite an expensive code reader.

It's really strange why 2 independent garages couldn't hook up to Toyota's ECU, IIRC it's possible to see some data even with VAGCOM, not to mention the array of cheap ELM adapters available that can also read the codes.

I know what you're saying about cheaper code readers, but reading other people's experiences where some work and some don't I chose the dearer option after emailing the company and being assured it will read the codes I opted for one. From a personal point of view money well spent.  

Hi Tony,

im wondering whether you could tell me - does the reader also provide data in terms of oil levels within the gearbox? Does it also provide gearbox temperature? Hope so. My local Toyota dealer is reluctant to undertake a gearbox oil and filter change. Thought I might do it myself but need to know the precise oil level and temperature once refilled.

thanks, Paul

Hello Paul,

I'm not really sure if it will do what you require I plugged it in to the car got the fault up then unplugged it. I've looked in the manual and there's not much info about the different functions, If I get the chance I'll try it out on the car to see what comes up. Why don't you email them and ask they are quick to reply and very helpful and point you in the right direction.

Tony

Agree about the cheaper ELM readers, Tony...they are hit and miss...I bought one a couple of years back and it wouldn't touch my Estima...got beggar all out of it.

I think it cost less than a tenner.!...but not a good deal when it doesn't work...lol

3 hours ago, TP49 said:

Hello Paul,

I'm not really sure if it will do what you require I plugged it in to the car got the fault up then unplugged it. I've looked in the manual and there's not much info about the different functions, If I get the chance I'll try it out on the car to see what comes up. Why don't you email them and ask they are quick to reply and very helpful and point you in the right direction.

Tony

Thanks Tony, I did consider making contact with them. If it does do as I require it would be a superb investment.

Having read the info I think it seems to do everything but make a cup of tea.:smile:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RUToyota said:

Having read the info I think it seems to do everything but make a cup of tea.:smile:

Tried that Neil not an option🙈. If I get a chance I'll plug and play later see what it can and can't do. I must admit I'm not the best when it comes to gadgets so don't hold your breath for to long. Lol. 😂😂

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Paulscarbs said:

Hi Tony,

im wondering whether you could tell me - does the reader also provide data in terms of oil levels within the gearbox? Does it also provide gearbox temperature? Hope so. My local Toyota dealer is reluctant to undertake a gearbox oil and filter change. Thought I might do it myself but need to know the precise oil level and temperature once refilled.

thanks, Paul

Hi Paul.

I plugged the code reader into car, I went right through menu nothing came up to do with transmission. I think you should contact the company to find out what device would suit your needs.

Tony.

Many thanks for doing this Tony.

I sent the company a specific request for information and received a reply from the company suggesting I look at this device:
https://www.ultimatecarparts.co.uk/icarsoft-tyt-ii-toyota-lexus-isuzu-engine-diagnostic-tool-ecu-airbag-srs-service-abs-obd2-tyt-ii

Trouble is that neither they nor the web page state the details I required so I responded requesting specifics.

Unfortunately the instructions manual doesn't show how to use different programs so not very informative it's a case of just using it and see what it can and can't do. Not being very good with computers I can only fiddle around and try and get the best out of it.

They responded.

This time they asked me to look at the specs on the website. I cannot believe the audacity!  I really don't think much to their customer service. Three times I have requested the same information.

Even on their website it states: "For more functions, please contact us for function list !"

One more chance and I'm going elsewhere.

Hi  Paul

I've since read a few bad customer reports, perhaps look elsewhere for what you need. I've yet to see if the one I have will work on different function. Time will tell.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, TP49 said:

Hi  Paul

I've since read a few bad customer reports, perhaps look elsewhere for what you need. I've yet to see if the one I have will work on different function. Time will tell.

Do keep us informed Tony.

i have opted for Toyota Techstream software with OBD connector cable. I've been assured it can monitor the gearbox oil level and temperature and works on a Windows based computer.

Price? £12.59

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264072293693

Good luck with that, Paul...be interesting to see what you think.

Strange that it seems NOT to work fully on 2003 models...which is what mine is of course.!!

I downloaded the update tool and updated the scanner now I can't get the fault up all I get is the message cannot communicate come up. I'm trying to find out what the problem is. Good luck Paul I hope the Techstream works well mate.

Hi Neil and Tony,

I received the final response from iCarsoft today... "please read the description..."

Well, my response was polite but blunt! Their website states "excellent customer service' Not from my experience it hasn't been.

Sorry to hear about the technical issues Tony. Will keep you informed about the cheap Techstream gizmo.