Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking for a phone holder

Tom Husband

We'll soon be buying a 2017 Auris Hybrid. It doesn't have sat nav so I'll use my Android phone. The selection for phone holders seems pretty slim. They're either way over engineered, attach to odd places (like the steering wheel) or only allow landscape view. One of these might do the job but it looks like you need a way of attaching the phone to the plate. What's used for that? I don't want to glue a plate onto my phone.

In our old Prius we had a simple spring loaded clip that attached to the vent. Real simple and sturdy. Is there anything like that for the Auris?

Thanks for any hints.

They sell small circular pieces of metal that have a side with some strong tape, that connects to your phone, and is used for those magnetic holders, or cheaper ones you just put between your phone and the phone case, you can see the image below.

I'm pretty sure you can still find that simple phone holder that goes into the vent, they are universal, even your local supermarket which has a car section should have atleast 1-2 versions of phone holders. If not, you can get them easily online.

image.png.e50d064667a093c0720dd2c5d5814a8d.png

Hi Tom welcome to TOC 🙂

Imo Brodit are the best but definitely not the cheapest ... They offer device specific attachments for the mounts (so additional cost) e.g. for an iPhone 6s https://www.brodit.co.uk/brodit/holders/Apple/iPhone 6S.htm - these screw to to the car specific mount. 

There is a load of stuff available on eBay, Amazon etc. though.

I thought the Brodit's might be magnetic. I'm not crazy about attaching the disc to our phones but it might be the best solution.

The one I've been using on my old Prius is this one. I'll take it with us when we move from California. Maybe it'll work.

I'll look around some more on eBay. I haven't been there yet.

Thanks all.

Thanks, that might work. It's much like the one we currently have on our old 2005 Prius. I'll take it with us when we move.

The Brodit phone holders have a slot that your phone slides into. The holder is specific to a given phone model and is a perfect fit. They are not magnetic.

Thanks, yes, I wrote Brodit and asked. They responded quickly and recommended a generic holder since they don't make one for my phone (Nokia 6.1). 

Hi, you can check those are really good and easy to install 

https://www.kenu.com/products/airframe

there are always some offers on Amazon and eBay , also been sold on Apple websites too. Only need make sure it’s a Original because many copies out there. Works perfectly with iPhone 6,7 and 8 in Priuses and Auris Hybrid first gen. I haven’t used in other cars, but if there is space to clip it to the vent might worth looking into it. 

Good luck 

Thanks, that's the one we currently use in our old Prius. We'll bring it with us and if it fits we'll use it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Why pay this kind of price for a simple piece of plastic. I bought this one for my 2015 Auris TS. Less then 1,50 pounds inclding shipping.

Does the job, although next time i would buy the same thing but with a magnet, such as this one.

2 hours ago, raph01 said:

Why pay this kind of price for a simple piece of plastic. I bought this one for my 2015 Auris TS. Less then 1,50 pounds inclding shipping.

Does the job, although next time i would buy the same thing but with a magnet, such as this one.

Nice find! This might be the one. Many thanks.