Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help, please. 2013 RAV4 intermittent starting problem

Gym

Hello, folks. Newbie from Canada here.

We bought a 2013 RAV4 Limited about six months ago (98,000 km now) and every so often when we press the start/stop button all the systems come on (audio, hoax, IP warning lights, etc.) but the engine doesn’t even crank. It’s as if the power isn’t getting from the button to the starter. We have a brand new (3 weeks) Battery and we had a remote starter that we removed, to no avail. Key fob batteries are new, btw.

The RAV usually starts again after a few minutes, but last week it wouldn’t and we had to leave it overnight in a parking lot. Quite annoying.

Naturally, when the tow truck arrived it started just fine and the Toyota dealer couldn’t reproduce the problem. 

There was a workaround in the owners manual (put it into accessory mode, then press the brake and hold the button down for 15 seconds) and it worked the first time I tried it, but not this last time.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

cheers,

Jim

Any change that brake switch works intermitted and sometimes then doesnt start because ”brake isnt pushed”?

28 minutes ago, qettyz said:

Any change that brake switch works intermitted and sometimes then doesnt start because ”brake isnt pushed”?

Hi. Thanks for responding. I don't think that's the problem (the vehicle still stops fine, LOL) but I'll certainly check into it.

cheers
Jim

Hi Jim, welcome to TOC 🙂

make sure that that transmission is in appropriate mode for start & brake pedal is firmly depressed.

Fyi, this is a predominantly UK/European forum so our RAVs may well differ in engine/transmission etc. etc. from North America

1 minute ago, Heidfirst said:

Hi Jim, welcome to TOC 🙂

make sure that that transmisssion is in appropriate mode for start & brake pedal is firmly depressed.

Fyi, this is a predominantly UK/European forum so our RAVs may well differ in engine/transmission etc. etc. from North America

Thanks for the kind welcome, and advice. I realize there may be differences - just hoping for an answer from somewhere, since my dealership seems useless. And that said, the tranny is in Park (and apparently won’t come out until the engine starts) and the foot is definitely pressing the brake. I’ve driven many push start/stop cars in my work, and this one is no different (other than the issue, of course). It’s quite annoying.

cheers,

Jim

I asked about brake light switch, because thats the one what computer is reading is the brake pushed and if not then it wont start. That are the brakes working have nothing to do with this. 

Park it somewhere so that when next time it fails to start, you can vetify from rear view mirror that are the break lights on. Just dont release brake between. 

I asked about brake light switch, because thats the one what computer is reading is the brake pushed and if not then it wont start. That are the brakes working have nothing to do with this. 

Park it somewhere so that when next time it fails to start, you can vetify from rear view mirror that are the break lights on. Just dont release brake between. 

Okay, thanks. Sorry for my misunderstanding of what you meant. I'll try that next time.

• 2 months later...

Hi, Friends. Just a quick response to the thread to thank you for your advice. Alas, the damn problem hasn't reoccurred since we last corresponded, so I'm still in the same situation: RAV runs great and starts almost always, except we're now paranoid about it, LOL! I do think the advice about the brake light switch may be on the money, but haven't had a chance to monitor it. Murphy's Law lives, indeed.

So thanks again and if/when I find out more I'll let you know what happens.

Jim

Hey, thanks for the update. Lets wait and see what happens;)

• 3 years later...

Hi Gym,

I am having the same problem as you.  Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

Thanks.

Craig

• 8 months later...

I have a 2012 Rav that I bought used in 2017.  It has 78k miles.  This car has been SO reliable until about six months ago.  One day it wouldn’t start.  I let it sit for an hour and it started right up.  Mechanics had it for a week trying to simulate the problem, but it never happened to them.  They suggested replacing the starter, but couldn’t guarantee that this was the problem.  I did not have the starter replaced.  Then, I drove it for 3 months without incident.  One day, I stopped at a store for 30 minutes.  I  tried to start it with no success.  I was ready to have it towed in. About three hours later, it started right up.  As we speak, it is at a Toyota dealership.  They said, as the previous mechanic did that it has to not start for them to diagnose the problem.  Help!!!!

There are two ways to address this.  One is to play "parts-roulette", i.e. guess what might cause it, change that and see if it happens again.  If it does, spin the wheel again.  If you want to do this, two probable causes are the starter solenoid (so changing the starter is logical), and the key operated ignition switch (if that's what your car has).

The other is to actually have the defect occurring while you do various electrical checks to try to find the problem, as the dealer said.

I've assumed that the problem is that the starter is failing to turn the engine over.  If it does turn the engine, but the engine does not fire. there are other possible causes.