Gym

Help, please. 2013 RAV4 intermittent starting problem

Hello, folks. Newbie from Canada here.

We bought a 2013 RAV4 Limited about six months ago (98,000 km now) and every so often when we press the start/stop button all the systems come on (audio, hoax, IP warning lights, etc.) but the engine doesn’t even crank. It’s as if the power isn’t getting from the button to the starter. We have a brand new (3 weeks) Battery and we had a remote starter that we removed, to no avail. Key fob batteries are new, btw.

The RAV usually starts again after a few minutes, but last week it wouldn’t and we had to leave it overnight in a parking lot. Quite annoying.

Naturally, when the tow truck arrived it started just fine and the Toyota dealer couldn’t reproduce the problem. 

There was a workaround in the owners manual (put it into accessory mode, then press the brake and hold the button down for 15 seconds) and it worked the first time I tried it, but not this last time.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

cheers,

Jim

Any change that brake switch works intermitted and sometimes then doesnt start because ”brake isnt pushed”?

28 minutes ago, qettyz said:

Any change that brake switch works intermitted and sometimes then doesnt start because ”brake isnt pushed”?

Hi. Thanks for responding. I don't think that's the problem (the vehicle still stops fine, LOL) but I'll certainly check into it.

cheers
Jim

Hi Jim, welcome to TOC 🙂

make sure that that transmission is in appropriate mode for start & brake pedal is firmly depressed.

Fyi, this is a predominantly UK/European forum so our RAVs may well differ in engine/transmission etc. etc. from North America

1 minute ago, Heidfirst said:

Hi Jim, welcome to TOC 🙂

make sure that that transmisssion is in appropriate mode for start & brake pedal is firmly depressed.

Fyi, this is a predominantly UK/European forum so our RAVs may well differ in engine/transmission etc. etc. from North America

Thanks for the kind welcome, and advice. I realize there may be differences - just hoping for an answer from somewhere, since my dealership seems useless. And that said, the tranny is in Park (and apparently won’t come out until the engine starts) and the foot is definitely pressing the brake. I’ve driven many push start/stop cars in my work, and this one is no different (other than the issue, of course). It’s quite annoying.

cheers,

Jim

I asked about brake light switch, because thats the one what computer is reading is the brake pushed and if not then it wont start. That are the brakes working have nothing to do with this. 

Park it somewhere so that when next time it fails to start, you can vetify from rear view mirror that are the break lights on. Just dont release brake between. 

I asked about brake light switch, because thats the one what computer is reading is the brake pushed and if not then it wont start. That are the brakes working have nothing to do with this. 

Park it somewhere so that when next time it fails to start, you can vetify from rear view mirror that are the break lights on. Just dont release brake between. 

Okay, thanks. Sorry for my misunderstanding of what you meant. I'll try that next time.