Do Not Sell My Personal Information

auris auto gearbox keeps slipping into neutral

am014s4545

I have had a scary experience where my auris estate 2014 reg keeps slipping into neutral whilst driving. Had to drive it to dealers by physically keeping the auto gear in drive position. 

Car is with dealers now and will find out next week what the issue is, has anyone come across such a issue? the car has done under 30k & is still under warranty.

hope somebody can shed some light on what is going on with the car & what the issue may be, thanks in advance.

Do you need to update your profile from the Avensis.

Sorry not been on here in a while, have updated my profile with the correct vehicle type, thanks.

Some kind a software, ecu issue or just gear selector switch issue maybe? Please update what dealer says.

Hybrid doesnt have any ”neutral”, it just disconnects power from mg1 and mg2 electric motors and there is nothing moving fysically when selecting between D and N or R. Only in P there is parking paul mechanism what is applied.

Great video if interested how HSD works.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The car has developed the fault again a week after it had been to the dealers, this time the fault occurred as the dealers were about to close for the day.

check out the video of what is happening.

I will have to hope that the next time the fault appears that the dealership is open so that I can take the vehicle to the dealers & get them to put the diagnostic computer onto the car whilst it is faulting in order for them to believe me & hopefully to fix the fault.

Hi, as far as I know this is not a common fault with that type of vehicles or either is chronicled issue, I believe you have a faulty gear selector for some reason, maybe the previous owner had spilled some sugary drink all over it and as a result the liquid had found its way inside the selector causes to send random signal to the ecu or ecu had developed a software problem. Definitely your best bet is the dealer and hopefully they will find out quickly what is wrong. In case it’s refusing to stay in D you can try to select B mode and drive it home or to the garage, you can also try to drive in B mode for a while than select D and see if any changes at all. Kindly request , please update us for the fix and the cause of the problem, it’s very interesting. 

Regards 

• Like 1

Looks to be just the selector, maybe they just cleaned the contacts or something, not wanting to dish out for a full repair.

If you select R, does it stay there, or bounces back to N like for D?

• 3 years later...

Hi. It has happened to me this morning having Auris Hybrid 14 plates with 50k miles. So the fault it seems more common than it sounds.

It was switching from D to N after driving less than a meter. Then engaging on R and it slipped to N again. I tried on and off. But no effect. Then I noticed that when shifting to R and giving more acceleration it kept engaged. I was luckily it happened at almost empty carpark. So I drove for a minute or so reverse then stopped. Then switched to D and press the acceleration far more than usually. Then drove for longer. Stopped and started again then I drove home for 7 miles just fine.

But leaving any junction was nerve wracking.  Then in 2 hours I drove again for 20 min, stopped for 30min, drove back home again for 20 and it disengaged again.

When first happen I was on small slope facing bonnet upwards. My drive way is kinda similar if that could add anything to the picture.

Definitely will take the car to the dealer but with the intermittent fault is difficult to diagnose. Especially no red or orange light comes up.

I'm interested in, did you find out #more on what your dealer did to fix the fault ?

I have a 2008 Toyota Auris.  This has happening on and off for over a year. We had our local mechanic put a new clutch in but that did not stop it from happening.   At first, it would happen occasionally.  Now it is a real danger, every time you stop, I get the blinking " N"  and the noise.  I have called Toyota and explained the problem and they just say bring it in.  

What is the real problem, is it the ECU software that some one mentioned and what did that cost?  Thanks in advance  

its an automtatic.  So this is a known problem but I have to pay for it to be repaired?  how much is each repair with parts and labor.  I have read numerous accounts of people with this same issue and paying for a repair and it is not actually fixed.   

Is there any recall or warranty coverage for this issue?  I bought this car used so now to have determine the cost of the repair and whether its worth it.  Any help would be appreciated.  

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 1:34 AM, Piotr100 said:

Hi. It has happened to me this morning having Auris Hybrid 14 plates with 50k miles. So the fault it seems more common than it sounds.

As it is so simple to do, it may be worth checking that the 12v Battery terminal posts (in the boot) are tighted up securely.  Yours isn't a problem I know anything about, but loose Battery connections could cause weird problems (which yours is), and they are easily overlooked.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2022 at 3:22 PM, flash22 said:

Not without knowing the problem

this is the exact problem with the Auris.  this company rebuilds your gear actuator etc.  just want to know a ballpark for the the parts and labor for this repair.  bringing it in and then being told its $2,500 to repair etc and the car is only worth $3,500 would be a problem etc.  

https://www.ecutesting.com/common-faults/toyota/toyota-mmt-clutch-actuator-fault/

These clutch and gear actuators fitted to the Toyota Multimode Transmission (MMT) gearboxes will often fail preventing gear selection which will leave the affected vehicle undrivable. This loss of drive will often also cause the N symbol to flash on the gear selection screen.

Whilst most of these faults happen whilst the vehicle is stationary, just after ignition on, these issues can happen whilst driving which will cause the gearbox to drop out of the current gear back into neutral, really not the best time to fail while in traffic.

The vehicle range afflicted with these troublesome Toyota MMT clutch actuator and gear selector parts include the Yaris, Aygo, Corolla and Auris. Commonly these vehicles will store fault codes including P0810 – clutch position control error and P0900 – clutch actuator circuit which are often a clear indication that one, or even both, of these actuators has failed.

Based on the internal technical paper from Toyota via this problem.  Based on the bold face language below in two separate toyota documents, they are aware of this problem or as they call it a " phenomenon ".  Toyota then should be be providing this repair free of charge.  I moved to Ireland a year ago and not familiar if there is a car owners bill of rights like we have in the states.  Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.  The problem now is worse, every stop of the car it goes in neutral.  Need to get this fixed asap.  All the best - 

Technical Service Bulletin Subject: 6MMT DTC P0900 Clutch actuator circuit malfunction Models: AURIS; COROLLA; VERSO-S; YARIS Model codes: NDE150; ZRE151; NDE150; ZRE151; NLP121; NLP90; NSP90 Chassis - Powertrain CP-0022T-0411 Revision Revision INTRODUCTION This Technical Service Bulletin is to inform you of the production change and repair method for the subject phenomenon. Applicable to vehicles produced before the production change effective VIN’s/frame numbers shown Below. Reason of revision: we would like to inform "cleaning of actuator and new checking point for motor resistance" point for repair. DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON Some customer may experience and report the MMT warning light ON and the vehicle has DTC P0900. The short circuit of the clutch actuator motor is caused by contamination of carbon powder from the brushes mixed with grease of the bearing. Check the repair procedure on the next page of this TSB to see whether this TSB is applicable to the vehicle. PRODUCTION CHANGE A plastic cover around the brushes has been added to the clutch actuator motor.

Technical Service Bulletin Subject: 5MMT P0810 and No creep & Clutch Judder Models: AURIS; AYGO; COROLLA; COROLLA VERSO; YARIS Model codes: NDE150; ZRE151; KGB10; KGB40; NDE120; NDE150; ZRE151; ZNR11; NLP90; SCP10; SCP90 Chassis - Powertrain CP-0009T-0113 Revision Revision INTRODUCTION This Technical Service Bulletin is to inform you of the repair method for the subject concern. Reason of revision; we would like to inform you "latest C/M parts number " "revise repair procedure" and add AYGO information. DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON The customer may experience and report on one or both of the below symptoms; - No creep and clutch judder - MMT MIL ON (DTC P0810) This TSB replaces the previous TSBs on P0810 and no creep and clutch judder. - CP-0021T-0110-XX1 (5MMT No creep | clutch judder) - CP-0026T-0110-XX1 (5MMT P0810) - CP-0071T-1208-XX1 (5MMT No creep | clutch judder) - CP-5013 1 (5MMT P0810) - CP-6003 1 (5MMT P0810) Please note that this TSB also applies to vehicles w hich have had the P0810 Customer Satisfaction Campaign (CSC 9K3E-059) implemented. (Corolla NDE120 & Corolla Verso ZNR11) PRODUCTION CHANGE As production was stopped before a countermeasure could be implemented, this Service Bulletin is for field fix only. For P0810 the field fix consists of 3 changes - Improved software for the “Computer Assy Transmission Control Unit ” for certain models. - The friction was reduced in the mechanism which (dis)engages the clutch. - The torque of the clutch actuator motor was increased.

3 hours ago, Loki424 said:

I moved to Ireland a year ago and not familiar if there is a car owners bill of rights like we have in the states.

I can understand your frustration, but the US consumer laws are famously strong; there is nothing to compare to that in Europe, unless it is shown to be common and safety-related, which I don't think anyone has done before with your MMT problem, although I could be wrong?

I've never had a car with an MMT box, although I've driven a few.  Just browsing through threads over time, it would seem to be a problem area for all makes and models with these boxes, certainly not just Toyota.  And posters on here have had varying degrees of satisfaction, with even some Toyota dealers not shining when dealing with these faults.

I have seen that setting the critical adjustments, as per flash22's short guides, is often key to getting it working correctly, a lack of proper familiarity (scarcity) and a general reluctance to read the workshop manual by technicians likely doesn't help.

If you can find a good local mechanic, one who is willing to listen to your needs and do some reading, then I thing it would be money well-spent to get them to have a look at this problem, armed with those .pdfs from flash22. 

I have suspicion that in some cases, the actuator motors (which are apparently about the size of windscreen wiper motors, I read), could be stripped down, cleaned out, and re-lubed by a mechanic with an inquiring mind and a 'can-do' attitude and perhaps a light interest in electronics. 

But finding someone in Waterford, or anywhere else, will be challenging!  And who wants to refit actuators they have (hopefully) fixed themselves, when the refurbished (expensive) parts come with a warranty, and will save them time?

From what I've read, calibrating the box properly is fundamental to it working reliably. Just because the new bits fit where they're supposed to, doesn't mean those parts will work error-free 'out the box'. 

• 2 months later...

Gents - this is still ongoing for me as the car is undriveable now.  In the internal paperwork it references warranty codes at the bottom.  Does anyone have any experience with Toyota or a mechanic applying the warranty codes and the repair is free?  Here are the codes from both papers 

5MMT P0810 and No creep & Clutch Judder

WARRANTY INFORMATION For the warranty application, please refer to warranty policy and procedures manual. Model Model Code OP code Operation Time OFP T1 T2 Yaris SCP10 337511 Clutch actuator assy R&R 0.5 31360-***** 27 74 311021 Clutch disc assy for MMT 4.3 311021Z Replace clutch release fork & bearing 0.1 337511Z Comb MMT ECU 0.3 801013 IT II or GTS Inspection 0.2 KSP90 SCP90 337511 Clutch actuator assy R&R 0.4 31360-***** 27 74 311021W Clutch disc assy for MMT 4.9 311021Z Replace clutch release fork & bearing 0.1 337511Z Comb MMT ECU 0.3 801013 IT II or GTS Inspection 0.2 NLP90 311021W Clutch disc assy for MMT 4.9 31360-***** 27 74 311021Z Replace clutch release fork support 0.1 311021Z Replace clutch actuator Motor 0.8 311021Z Combination MMT ECU 0.2 801013 IT II or GTS Inspection 0.2 Model Model Code OP code Operation Time OFP T1 T2 Corolla 120 NDE120 311021 Clutch disc assy 5.1 31360-***** 27 74 311021M Comb: Multi Mode Manual Transmission 0.3 311021Z Replace clutch release fork support 0.1 311021Z Replace clutch actuator Motor 0.7 311021Z Combination MMT ECU 0.2 801013 IT II or GTS Inspection 0.2 Model Model Code OP code Operation Time OFP T1 T2 Auris Corolla 150 ZRE151 NDE150 311021W Clutch disc assy for multi mode transmission 4.7 31360-***** 27 74 311021Z Replace clutch release fork support 0.1 311021Z Replace clutch actuator Motor 0.5 311021Z Combination MMT ECU 0.2 801013 IT II or GTS Inspection 0.2 Model Model Code OP code Operation Time OFP T1 T2 Corolla Verso ZNR11 311021 Clutch disc assy for multi mode transmission 5.9 31360-***** 27 74 311021Z Replace clutch release fork support 0.1 311021Z Replace clutch actuator Motor 0.7 311021Z Combination MMT ECU 0.3 801013 IT II or GTS Inspection 0.2 CP-0009T-0113 Page 17 of 17 TOYOTA MOTOR EUROPE NV/SA QUALITY SERVICE Model Model Code OP code Operation Time OFP T1 T2 AYGO KGB10 337511 Clutch actuator assy R&R 0.8 31360-***** 27 74 311021 Clutch disc assy for MMT 3.5 311021Z Replace clutch release fork & bearing 0.1 337511Z Comb MMT ECU 0.2 801013 IT II or GTS Inspection 0.2 NOTES; The usage of 33799 or 337511Z/311021Z requires the mandatory CCR (Condition, Cause, Remedy) comments in the warranty claim for further technical detailed analysis. Failure to comply with this requirement could lead to claim

6MMT DTC P0900 Clutch actuator circuit malfunction

WARRANTY INFORMATION Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem base upon a customer's specific complaint. OP code Operation Time OFP T1 T2 337511 Clutch actuator assy NLP90 0.9 31360-520*2 29 73 337511 Clutch actuator assy NSP90 0.8 337511V Clutch actuator assy NDE150 1.1 337511V Clutch actuator assy ZRE151 1.0 337511V Clutch actuator assy NLP121 0.8 337511Z** Installation cover clutch actuator motor 0.2 *depending on the failed part Remark The implementation of this TSB for rectification of the problem reported requires the mandatory CCR(Condition, Cause, Remedy) comments in the warranty claim for further detailed technical analysis. It is required to mention this TSB number in the Remedy field. Failure to comply with this requirement could lead to claim rejection.

3 hours ago, Loki424 said:

Does anyone have any experience with Toyota or a mechanic applying the warranty codes and the repair is free?

When purchased new, a 2008 Auris would have come with a 3 year/100,000km new car warranty. 

Unless you have an extended warranty - either through Toyota or a 3rd party - warranty repairs wouldn't apply to a 16 year old car.

• Like 1

The most common fail point is the clutch actuator, the debris from the motor brushes drops into the position sensor, without a diagnostic and knowing the codes its a case of suck it and see

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/13/2022 at 6:09 PM, Loki424 said:

thank you for this. I am currently having the same issue with my 2009 Toyota Auris. I just bought the car from someone. It has happened twice within a week. Wanted to go see the mechanic tomorrow because it happened today. It runs smoothly well but when I get stoped by a traffic light after driving for a while, the blinking neutral light comes on and it won’t go into drive or reverse anymore. How did you resolve yours please 

On 9/13/2022 at 6:09 PM, Loki424 said:

I have a 2008 Toyota Auris.  This has happening on and off for over a year. We had our local mechanic put a new clutch in but that did not stop it from happening.   At first, it would happen occasionally.  Now it is a real danger, every time you stop, I get the blinking " N"  and the noise.  I have called Toyota and explained the problem and they just say bring it in.  

What is the real problem, is it the ECU software that some one mentioned and what did that cost?  Thanks in advance  

You most likely have issue with the selector switch if it is on hybrid Auris, not sure with the MMT.  Open it up and try to clean it as much as possible with safe cleaner like Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner.  and see how it goes.  

• 7 months later...

I have a 2011 Toyota Auris 1.6 petrol car semi automatic and I am having an intermittent problem with the gears not engaging when I stop in traffic.  Usually if I turn engine off and leave a few minutes then start engine again the car will select the correct gear and move off.  This has been happening for a few months now whereby the car in in drive stopped in traffic and then slips into Neutral for no reason.  Can anyone suggest what this might be and what needs to be done as Toyota can't find an issue and would need to strip everything down which is goijng to be very costly I suspect?