Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Success with Techstream?

sproutdreamer

I have this annoying internittent ABS fault light an our 04 Yaris. It can do fine for days and then the ABS light comes on. It may stay on and then go off or on stopping and restarting it is then ok for a while. I am loath to take it to a garage and pay £60 for diagnostics as it probably will not show if the fault is not current when they are diagnosing. However the test is due soon and I need to sort it before then.

I have tried to put Techstream on my laptop as my basic OBD11 software (EasyOBD which is very good) does not show ABS and even their Premium Version does not do ABS faults.

Anyway I bought a version off e bay and after entering software keys took me through to payment screen with various payment from annual at 300 euros and lesser payments for shorter periods(which is no good as I may wait several days for it to re-appear). I am still trying to get my money back on this! So tried a different seller and this seemed to load ok but there semed to be a connectivity problem with my OBD11 lead. When I come back to sort that out (I thought I had not perhaps downloaded the correct driver) the registration key would not accept. I am wondering whether it was really just a trial say i hour i.e. a scam.

So I would like Techstream and I am happy to pay an affordable amout say under £60 but I am struggling to source Techstream that does not involve dodgy people and shakey software scams.

Any ideas to source this?

The software itself is free from Toyota & will be the latest version https://www.toyota-tech.eu/GTS/Wizard/Step5-Software.aspx. The activation licence isn't but you can licence it for a day for €5 or a week for €10  https://www.toyota-tech.eu/GTS/Wizard/Step2-intro.aspx

Versions from eBay usually have a cracked activation code.

You also need a correct cable for it to work properly. Just any OBD2 cable will not work. This is similar to other manufacturers, say, BMW or VAG - they all need a special cable that works only with their vehicles. A basic OBD2 cable can work but will only give basic OBD2 features.

There's the expensive original ones (waaaaay too expensive) and cheaper ones found on eBay and Amazon for around 20 to 30 quid. They work perfectly apart from flashing the ECU.

As Byzii says above.  The cable is an intelligent cable and emulates the Toyota dealer hardware setup, I think.

But also, as your Yaris is a 2004 model, I have an idea that the older OBD2 function works across different physical pins on the connector and uses the 'K-Line' protocol, as opposed to connecting via the (now normal, later) CAN bus protocol.

I have an eBayTechstream cable/software which, after some experimenting with the software installation, works a treat on our 2013 Auris.  The cable was advertised as working with K-Line protocol as well as CAN bus, but does not work with our 2001 Corolla at all, and does not work as a 'normal' OBD2 connection on a 2006 MX5 either.  I think both those  cars, due to their age, need K-Line functionality.

My ELM327 OBD2 dongle works fine on the Corolla and Auris, so the Corolla can communicate out of its port at some level.

I experimented with this some years ago, so it is a little hazy, I never got the K-Line theory confirmed, but that was my conclusion.  I would like to hear a clearer explanation from someone who knows better.

In the meantime, there may be something to glean from this thread if you are a bit stuck, but only after you have obtained a dedicated Techstream cable mentioned by Byzii:- 

The files that will probably come with your eBay cable, if installed correctly (not easy, with the instructions I got), get past the Toyota registration requirement, so you don't see that panel IIRC.  However, this may have changed in the last few years!

Thanks for all the good info and taking the time to find links to old posts covering this. All good stuff. I am making a start by getting a new Mini VCi cable-I have been using one about 10 years old that works with the very basicEasy OBD11. I just assumed that being OBD11 it would be ok. The Techstream now is loaded but not communicating with the car socket. When I run the cable check in Techstream it does not see any of the connections on the OBD11 plug in the 04 Yaris(french made ) or in my 08 Avensis.. Next step is to try the new cable. I will keeep you posted as it is always interesting to hear outcomes!

Hi

Bought a new cable Minin VCI TIS supposed to be compatible with Techstream. When I try and connect I get a "cannot connect to VIM" although it looks as if the Techstream is functioning. So a connectivity problem- when I do a cable check there is no connectivity. I normally have patience sorting computer problems but this is driving me crazy!

Interesting stuff here I`ve been looking for, but before anything  whether you have a cheap J2534 chinese + vxxx.x.x version of techstream ,

remember it runs on windows XP normally. At least everything I've download from the web is.

I've tried at least 4 versions, one came with the cable (v10.x.x) the rest all freebie downloads with registration key + Xhorse drivers don't work on win 10

, i tried all registry tips and tricks, no go.

A year later, yes I bought a BT dongle, yes it clears DTC's for €15, but that doesn't give me the info I need.......

So.... the other day (down with flu), I tried looking up Windows XP!

Wow,  about the 5th line down on a google, there's a site , "makeuseof", basically you create a virtual machine on your Win 10 laptop and load Windows XP in it.

The setup was simple, but then I've forgotten how XP was, so take a hint do the following,  allow "drag and drop" in your VM, then add the Xhorse driver and Techstream software, java v1.6.20 (not the latest, techstream tells you if its not correct, I tried!), by dragging the software installation packs to the VM, install them , plug  in your compliant cable,

start TIS, fill in you hacked user code then switch from VIM to MVCI on the setup menu "VIM select" and it works!

Now when I say it works, I got a drop down dialog box after connecting and Avensis wasn't listed(everything else including brands I haven`t seen in the EU)! But on win 10 , I just got connect failures,a couple of connections without vehicle brand names, tried 1ADFTV but didn`t connect, so its a start.

Given my 1AD-FTV engine is in the auris(2006-2012), corolla(2006-2013 and verso`2009-2013) RAV4 2013 Ill try those tomorrow, in addition to the other names like Premio , Allion and Scion tC.

I`m trying a v12.x.x version,, if the above tests fail I'll  try earlier versions,, maybe Avensis wasn't on the list due to an Ozzie or Kiwi version of TIS?

Hope this helps, don't forget , you need a J2534 cable.

Rgds

• Like 1

Just to add a detail, all of the "freebie" downloads so far 4, are all American, In theory the Corolla should work but my engine 1AD-FTV ain't there. (all on a site called obdii, google if your in America!)

They all work!  Grrrrrr...........

Next step is testing GTS instead of TIS.....

Also found v13.00.22 on eBay for USD 5.90, 

Will let you know, still hunting on this site,, but there are more than seven pages to wade thru'

Rgds

P.S. "drag and drop" in VMBox is found by clicking Machine / Settings then Advanced, I still can't get Ethernet to work, but switching between "computers" is no problem .

1 hour ago, Hillbillie said:

my engine 1AD-FTV ain't there. gs then Advanced, I still can't get Ethernet to work, but switching between "computers" is no problem .

surely a 150D is a 2.2 so a 2AD?

Failed totally to get Techstream to connect to OBD11 socket. I just get "failed to connect to VIM" error message in Techstream. Got a new all singing /dancing lead  but perhaps still a driver problem (although my laptop skills are normally ok)problem so I will give up for the moment as I need to sort this car now so I will and get the local car shop to do their diagnostics and hopefully get this infuriating erratic ABS light error fixed.

On 2/19/2019 at 1:52 AM, Heidfirst said:

surely a 150D is a 2.2 so a 2AD?

Nope 2.0  T27/ADT271WT (Spanish) 94W

2 hours ago, sproutdreamer said:

Failed totally to get Techstream to connect to OBD11 socket. I just get "failed to connect to VIM" error message in Techstream. Got a new all singing /dancing lead  but perhaps still a driver problem (although my laptop skills are normally ok)problem so I will give up for the moment as I need to sort this car now so I will and get the local car shop to do their diagnostics and hopefully get this infuriating erratic ABS light error fixed.

Have you tried mt tips, you have to select MVCI in VIM Select.?

6 hours ago, Hillbillie said:

Nope 2.0  T27/ADT271WT (Spanish) 94W

In your profile ADT271L-AWFEYW http://toyotamarket.ru/eu/273560/015/ & if I Google Cross Sport 150D Advance they all seem to say 2.2 e.g. https://www.km77.com/coches/toyota/avensis/2012/cross-sport/advance/avensis-cross-sport-22-d-4d-150/datos https://www.ultimatespecs.com/car-specs/Toyota/40452/Toyota-Avensis-III-Cross-Sport-150D-Advance.html etc. etc.

On 2/21/2019 at 2:06 PM, Hillbillie said:

Have you tried mt tips, you have to select MVCI in VIM Select.?

Yes thanks - I think I have a laptop problem rather than a Techstream or MVCI problem as I get the "unable to initialize programme (oCx0000135 ) error message

Maybe an Outcome - took it to my local car spares shop (he only charged me £25 which was nice) and it quickly showed a C1332 which is a rear right wheel open circuit. If it is not a loose wire it may be just full of rust particles like both of the fromt ones were. As unable to clean it out it may be a new hub/bearing ABS at £26.50 and a couple of hours work to sort it...hopefully.

On 2/21/2019 at 9:36 PM, Heidfirst said:

Yeah not visited here for a while , I use the FB pages, originally setup the a/c using a Toyota service bill!(EGR clean + clear DTCs €500 ouch) 

Don't know why on earth the didn't us my registration papers!

On 2/23/2019 at 2:34 PM, sproutdreamer said:

Yes thanks - I think I have a laptop problem rather than a Techstream or MVCI problem as I get the "unable to initialize programme (oCx0000135 ) error message

oCx0000135 Ouch ! MSft has a fix (two actually if you read the post on Google,, good luck!

• 1 year later...
On 2/21/2019 at 11:43 AM, sproutdreamer said:

did u ever get your problem sorted dude .failed to connect to vim u have to go into the setup and click vim settings thn click the botton u should get arop down meny then if u have all the drivers on ok u should see one that says 2.0 .plus i have noticed with my 2014 avensis 20.d4d the cables off eBay some dont work like the j2534 dont work well .i have noticed though i bought on one time not off eBay was another site i got a tactrix openport 2.0 rev e that worked for me .but i only wanted to change the customized settings .it never gave me the option to make other keys and other things .not sure why 

A belated response to this.

On talking with the people who sold me the techstream software it became apparent that it needed 64 bit processing rather than my old laptop 32 bit. So I will get a better laptop and try again.

Thanks for all advice.

It was built on 32 bit windows I have had it working on anything from xp to Windows 10 64 bit and everything in between

did you install the mini vci drivers note there are a few differing versions

• 1 year later...

Hi all i have a 2002 jtd Yaris 1nd-tv d4d and have connected j2354 mini vci with v14 techstream but it doesn’t have my engine listed, i have v12 and v13 on the dvd it came with.

just wondering if anyone knows what version lists the 1nd-tv as i have a none start problem and need to see what health check will bring up 

Does it show the vin when connecting ? cars are usually listed by model code, in your case it will be NLP or 1ND as its an early diesel you may need a different lead as the Mini VCI only supports CAN-BUS, It may only run on K and L line

you can check this with the Cable Checker Utility in TS

IIRC the VXC Nano supports k and L line under techstream

Yes checked the model number too nlp not listed either 

TS will not display models that the VCI doesn't support

14 hours ago, flash22 said:

As it's an early diesel you may need a different lead as the Mini VCI only supports CAN-BUS,  your car may only run on K and L line

You can check this with the Cable Checker Utility in TS

IIRC the VXC Nano supports K and L line under techstream

17 minutes ago, flash22 said:

TS will not display models that the VCI doesn't support

Ordered this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Cable-KKL-VAG-COM-409-1-OBD2-OBD-OBDII-COM-Volkswagen-Audi-Seat-Skoda-/363701236361?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

supports k-line ISO9141 protocol