Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 D4D kaput!!

dawsieboy84

So driving the car this morning and parking up at the school dropping the kids off and it would not start... just turned and turned but no kick. Have been advised previously this could be starter with hot starting issues.

So as I was on a hill I jumped it, drove fine for about 5 mile then oil light came on and car starting dying and sounding like it was sucking.... until it eventually died.

Tried to restart and just got a click, as the car cooled it would turn over but sounded like a flat Battery! (Battery is fine and had it checked) Dad came to the rescue and towed me allowing us to jump start again.... drove fine but with a noticeable whining sound like a pump stuck (pure guess work)

So it sits in the garage waiting for someone to look at it!?!?

Hope she has not given up the ghost, 55 plate at 146k be such a shame!

Any ideas or had similar?

Thanks in advance.... 

The first things to check out would be Battery, alternator and starter, along with cables going to and from each of these devices.

Random lights going off on the dashboard usually points to the charging system, but if that's the only light you got then I'd have other things on my minds, too. The low oil pressure light comes on when there's absolutely no oil pressure at all, so it could also have something to do with the belt/chain system? Oil pump is on the same belt/chain as the waterpump, crankshaft, etc, so if it suddenly decided to go it could create a whining noise.

Hard to tell since we don't know exactly what kind of sounds were there. What does it mean when engine starts "sucking"?

it always had a very slight whistle from the turbo but it was hardly noticeable and never caused a problem... little tiny bit of oil bit nothing to worry about given age I was told. No smoke, no smells, runs perfectly....

It was just odd the way it died as if it was been starved of something!? 

Battery was fine as after running for a bit started up fine and all electrics worked, plus the Battery was tested and new a few months ago!

Could it be water/oil pump!? Do these go?!

First do explain more the sucking sound.

Have you checked the serpentine belt, maybe there is some stuck pulley creating the sound?

If the starter just clicks, then it's time to change it soon, it's inevitable sound of it's end of life.

Have you maybe checked the engine temperature when it died?

Did the car felt harder, and like it's loosing power before it died?

Sounds like it lost lubrication and seized for a bit, thus the single click, but after cooling down a bit, it was possible to turn over, but slowly, like Battery is dying.

24 minutes ago, furtula said:

Did the car felt harder, and like it's loosing power before it died?

Sounds like it lost lubrication and seized for a bit, thus the single click, but after cooling down a bit, it was possible to turn over, but slowly, like battery is dying.

That is exactly what it sounded like!!... and yes as it cooled down it got better... 

Still haven't mentioned which engine.

Have you checked oil in engine?

Have you checked the oil recently, and/or changed it recently?

Did you by any chance hit/scraped the front of the car somewhere, which could cause a tear in the engine sump, and all the oil to leak out?

18 minutes ago, furtula said:

Still haven't mentioned which engine.

Have you checked oil in engine?

Have you checked the oil recently, and/or changed it recently?

Did you by any chance hit/scraped the front of the car somewhere, which could cause a tear in the engine sump, and all the oil to leak out?

Sorry its a 2.0 D4D 2005... 

Oil level fine and full... changed in September 2018 and new filter.

No scrapes or leaks...

Sounds like oil pump issue then, hopefully there is no permanent damage.

44 minutes ago, furtula said:

Sounds like oil pump issue then, hopefully there is no permanent damage.

Could jump starting it have cause the pump to malfunction therefore causing it to seize?

Letting it cool down and building the pressure back up by turning it over dislodge it?!

Hi, is you car a manual or automatic...…………...if manual any chance you can get someone to give you a tow start as this will eliminate many things depending on the outcome.

GOOD LUCK!

2 hours ago, Mike169 said:

Hi, is you car a manual or automatic...…………...if manual any chance you can get someone to give you a tow start as this will eliminate many things depending on the outcome.

GOOD LUCK!

Manual.... got towed and it jump started and drove fine... just a whine when accelerating (but not turbo whine)

21 minutes ago, dawsieboy84 said:

Manual.... got towed and it jump started and drove fine... just a whine when accelerating (but not turbo whine)

I get a nasty whine from my V belt, which only got worse when the belt got removed and then tightened again. Noise is probably coming from a pulley somewhere in there, and the noise is accompanied by a growl/scraping sound when engine is idling.

I actually confused the whine with a turbo as well but my mechanic could say immediately that turbo doesn't sound like that, it's not as high pitched. It definitely sounds like there's something wrong in your V belt department.

Now you have to find out if the oil pressure light was there because of actual no pressure or because the alternator didn't charge the Battery and it's a random light. Cheapest option to begin would be to drain the oil and through the drain plug look at oil pickup screen via a small camera and light. That would rule out sludged out oil screen. You could also just remove V belt and go for a drive to see if the noise is gone but it would be worthwhile to go through all pulleys. In some cases a pulley can seize so bad it starts stalling or dragging the engine, it physically starts restricting it.

The post above by Edvards is very good advise.

Matthew can you take off the serpentine belt, get the car started and see what happens to the whine, I am assuming it is separate to any belt that runs the engine.

As Edvards has already stated your whine is probably one of the pulleys the serpentine belt goes around, another way to work out the whine with the serpentine belt fitted is to get a long thinnish screwdriver, clean it and very carefully putting the handle end into your ear car carefully touch different areas of the area of the engine around the serpentine area, of course not the rotating pulleys and hear using the screwdriver like a doctors stethoscope to locate the noise a bit more accurately.

Please do take care!

well it is in the garage today and they will be getting to the problem hopefully.... I have passed all this advise on as he is a very good honest indy!

There was some oil and play in the turbo which made them think it could be that but this would not explain the seizing.... so I have asked them to check the pulleys as well!

Many Thanks all.... I shall report back! 

Hi Matthew.

Yes do keep in touch mate as we all would like to know what the trouble is as it might help someone else out too at some point. Some Toyota parts can be expensive, I hope whatever you need won't break the bank, lol.

Mike.

So turns out it was the turbo according to the mechanic!? Oil was inside the turbo itself and the turbine was loose... reckons he can either refurb it or get a second hand one but no idea on price yet?!

I still don't understand why this caused it to grind to a halt, the oil light come on and then it not turn over until it cooled down?!

Hi, personally i'd get your own one refurbed but I appreciate it's all down to money and so on, good luck!

Hi Matthew, just Google turbo refurbs/refurbishers  and then your post code, it should come up with one the nearest to you then just phone them up for an accurate quote.

OK spoken to the garage and not that I do not believe them but they seem to be telling me the issues with the turbo are what I have always known.... e.g. very slight whistle, a tiny tiny bit of oil and slight play in the turbine which I know is miniscule! the turbo is just old but not broken... certainly not warranting a massive bill just yet! 

My issue is that I fail to see how that could cause the oil lamp to come on then the engine to grind to a halt and then the ignition just click when I tried to restart! 

As the car cooled down it began to turn over again but felt as though something was stiff as it was struggling like a dead Battery (Battery is fine!) as the engine got cooler it became easier to turn but not free enough to start... after towing 300 metres and re-jumping we were back to normal and all systems go??!

I am 99% convinced it is something to do with the pulleys... spoke to the wife who drives is all the time as the kid carrier and she said it has been making a buzzing sound upon cold start which dies off when warmed up! 

Think I am going to have it back get the old man involved and take the belt off.... 

I have never heard a turbo malfunction (which worked fine after restart) cause the oil lamp to come on and the car to mimic seizing pistons.....

That engine was jammed and I am pretty sure me jumping it (rolling 2nd gear and clutch out) 15 minutes previous, caused something to happen??

the case continues.... 

Hi Matthew, my gut reaction is it's not your turbo at all and yes a problem with the pulleys/bearings on the side of the engine and I feel your starter motor is on it's last legs, I have read on here of people that have fitted higher output starter motors to make their engines crank over faster and all then was 100% ok. So 2 problems my friend, consider a replacement starter motor, uprated or not and definitely get the pulleys sorted out including new rubber belts. 

Good luck and hoped my advise has helped you to some degree and please come back to me of how you are getting on.

seen the car today with the cover off etc and there is oil everywhere... mechanic has given me enough confidence that it is the turbo.... 

he can get one for 450 plus VAT and did day if I can get one cheaper then he will fit it... 

anyone got any recommendations!?! 

Posted a new thread just in case others have not seen this...

Turbo's are not cheap. I'd say go with him then if something goes wring the g'tee is with him...……………...go for it.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links