Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

VSC/TRC Lamp Lit

IanML

Just noticed the VSC/TRC lamp is lit.

Toyota Techstream gives no fault codes except one for catalytic converter efficiency low, despite the fact that I only had the body ECU selected - is this credible?

Any advice gratefully received.

You don't mention if the check engine light is also illuminated? If so, it's a quirk on many Toyotas that certain faults, such as faulty Lambdas will trigger the VSC light. There is obviously no relationship - it's just that the check engine signal affects the VSC processor. If the only fault indicated is low catalyst efficiency then a brisk drive will often allow the engine light to be extinguished and stay extinguished. It can also occur if the bottom sensor gets soaked driving in heavy rain.

Yes, the CEL is also illuminated, due to the cat converter efficiency code, but a link between that and the VSC indication would never have occurred to me. 

I live in Jersey, so the car does a lot of puttering about and short runs, which may explain the cause. Than you very much for your reply - a brisk drive shall be performed tomorrow (can't exceed 40 here, but I'll keep the transmission in 2 to keep the revs up), and I'll report back :thumbsup:

If the fault keeps reappearing then it’s either a cat converter issue or a lambda issue. On a well maintained car - a cat issue is rare but the response from a sensor deteriorates with age. The ECU does a comparison routine on the sensors and initially records a preliminary code. If the fault repeats then a fault code is flagged. It might therefore take some time for a low efficiency code to reappear. It’s often wrongly concluded that the sensors are doing their stuff and it’s a cat fault. A life expired sensor won’t throw up a code which again leads to wrong conclusions.

Thanks for that - is there any strategy for identifying a life-expired lambda sensor, or is it suck-it-and-see (££££££)?

However, hopefully I won't need to.  I did the "Italian tune-up" this morning, and then realised why I had not been able to clear the DTC yesterday - I had not highlighted it before clicking "clear" :blush:..  Having cleared it, did what passes for a long run on the island, and it has not returned.  Fingers crossed. 

The output of a lambda cycles between about 0.1V and 0.9V around once per second. It's basically a case of looking at the output trace on an oscilloscope or a hand held digital display.  A life expired Lambda will cycle significantly less than once / second or the output trace will be quite flat. Often the Lambdas on this engine suffer from heater failure well before the sensor element is life expired.

Thanks.  Well, I assume that heater failure is signalled by a fault code, so the chances are my lambdas are ok,  and I'm hoping the cat efficiency code was cured by the Italian tune-up.  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links