Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Battery change...now it wont start

unclepoo

I hope someone can help me.

I`ve changed the 12v Battery in my daughters early 2005 yaris. On trying to start the car, it turns over nice and fast, but wont start. The key wont lock or unlock the car either.

I`ve tried a couple of key in key out door open door close attempts to program the key with no success.

We only have the one key, it has lock and unlock buttons so I`m assuming it`s a master key.

Can anyone give me a guide to re-introducing the key without resorting to a dealer or calling out a auto-locksmith.

Try disconnecting the Battery negative terminal for a few minutes, then reconnect and try again. 

The key issue would normally be something separate to a 'non starter' and a problem in its own right. The fact you changed the Battery and now not only does it not start, but also the wireless key function is inoperative suggests a common cause.

Good luck.

I`ve got the yaris started. Turned out to be a bad earth to the car body. When I was thinking about the strange lights on the dash coming on when I turned on the interior light on, or turned on the map lights, I thought, poor earth....like when you see a cars tail or brake lights do strange things when the indicator is turned on.

The Battery clamps were fine, but the negative cable to the body was showing a difference in voltage. So I`ve used a different earth point close to the Battery neg terminal and the car started first time.....happy days.

Thanks for your advice....hope this is a help to anyone else who has a similar fault.

Pleased to hear you have it sorted. Yes, all those additional symptoms you mention would point to a bad earth.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links