Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear window came off

GBs

My rear window came off at the hinges, looks like it was glued on. Does anyone have any similar experience and a fix, what tyoe of glue/resin/sealant will stick it back again?

I am concerned that it could come off whilst driving. Plus is has damaged soem of the paintwork on the door where it scraped!

There is a Toyota recall for this to get fixed. I've just had mine done and it cost nothing. Go to your local Toyota dealer to get it booked in. I would complain about the damaged paintwork too.

• Like 1

Thank you fordulike, I will contact my local office, I was going to use some gorilla glue, but I would rather it done by a dealer!

Hopefully, they will repair the paintwork as a goodwill gesture 😉

I hope so, but I do not hold my breath, I have called and left my details. The final straw with my local dealer was when they charged me around 380 pounds for a rear door seal, saying it took them many hours to see where the water was leaking into. I even told them where the water was coming from!!!! The long shot is that they replaced the door seal, whcih they could ave done anyway!!!! I will wait and see what they say when they call me back, I am sure they will try and not do it!

• Like 1

I just checked online and it is a recall in 2018, so hopefully they better do it, thank you again for your help, very much appreciated.

Got a recall e-mail on Thursday,window fell out and smashed into a gazillion pieces on the road this afternoon.

• Like 1

One can use the online recall checker to confirm whether your car is affected - https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/vehicle-information/recall-checker#/iframe/https%3A%2F%2Fforms.toyota.co.uk%2Frecall-checker

Bear in mind that as recalls are announced by DVSA before manufacturers have built up sufficient stocks of replacement parts, one may have to wait until parts become available.

I called my local dealer and they said it is a recall, it is booked in, but they said they will not fix the paint. So I will contact the Toyota head office. It is unfair that I am expected to fix the paint work of a fault that they have. I had no letter in the post about the recall as my dealer said they do not keep details on their system more than three years!

Recall letters aren't sent out by dealers. DVLA supply the addresses of registered keepers to the manufacturer, and the manufacturer sends letters out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2019 at 10:23 AM, GBs said:

I called my local dealer and they said it is a recall, it is booked in, but they said they will not fix the paint. So I will contact the Toyota head office. It is unfair that I am expected to fix the paint work of a fault that they have. I had no letter in the post about the recall as my dealer said they do not keep details on their system more than three years!

On 2/17/2019 at 11:11 AM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Recall letters aren't sent out by dealers. DVLA supply the addresses of registered keepers to the manufacturer, and the manufacturer sends letters out.

I am proof that the recall system can work as Mike as described. I recently got a recall letter for my 10 years old Avensis, near the end of January 2019. I have checked my car for any recalls when I first got it. But then very few people research features on their car, or car they are about to own.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of weeks ago I recieved one of these window recall notices from Toyota G.B. for my ( 2012 ! ) Aygo.

Called the given number straight away and it was booked in immediately with my chosen dealer ( who, incidentally, has always provided terrific service for our cars - wife has a Yaris). Hint - go to the dealer with your recall letter and book direct - the nice little girly I spoke to couldn't really understand why I laughed when she asked that the locking wheelnut key shold be left accessible for this job !

Taken on allocated day - loan car provided, and all done during the same morning - I assume time to let adhesive cure properly. All satisfactory when collected and properly invoiced to confirm work done and a "Free Health Check" included. An interesting little additional foam strip at the leading edge being the only visible evidence of work done,

I stand to correction, but believe the MoT( whether passed or failed ) should now flag up outstanding recalls - this being the case when buying a used car it may be worth insisting on a new MoT before discovering something's not been actioned months down the line ! I think sellers are also obliged to inform buyers that a vehicle is subject to a recall.

Hi All, thanks for all your replies.

The latest. I did not get a letter from the dealer as I did not go to them for a service for many years (reason given earlier in this post). I called the dealer, the replaced the glass as a recall and even okay the paint work to be done that was damaged by the falling glass.

I called Toyota dealership - three weeks to book in, then another four days to replace glass, then a week later I was aksed to bring it back in again so they could do the paint work - time frame - another 3 week wait. No loan car offered!

In the case of a recall, letters are sent out by the manufacturer using owner addresses supplied by DVLA - not the dealer. So it  depends whether DVLA have up to date information as regards owner addresses. 

Dealers aren't obliged to offer courtesy cars. Sometimes waiting for a courtesy car to become available can delay cars being booked in. Did you ask about a courtesy car? Its the old adage - if you don't ask, you don't get.