Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2019 Rav4 Dynamic 4wd

Gweeds

I'm about to pull the trigger on ordering one of these...

Anyone tell me why I shouldn't?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

No. Only just in the showrooms. Too little feedback on the UK range to date.

• Like 1

Not off hand, I'm considering an Excel AWD with the 360° Panoramic Camera

- interesting, your choice of the Dynamic, which has as far as I can see some styling differences but lacks some equipment I particularly want, including:

• Memory function on driver seat
  • Headlight cleaners
  • Front wiper de-icer
  • Washer fluid level warning

I haven't managed to get a test drive, have you?

I have a few personal concerns to address when I get a test drive, some of which may not worry others if they're not used to the Prius:

• after 7 years and almost 100,000 miles with a Head Up Display, I'm really concerned about losing this - when I drive cars without it I really miss it
  • also after a similar period of large, bold central displays of speed and other info, the RAV4 dash is quite small and one has to focus closer and down through the steering wheel
  • occasionally find the Prius auto parking system useful, RAV4 doesn't have this
  • a number of reviewers on YouTube have commented about the road and wind noise level at higher speeds - I'll be taking my noise meter along to reinforce any opinion I form while driving

That said, there are a lot of things that interest me not available on the Prius, including:

• Electric seat with memory
  • Power boot
  • Electronic parking brake with Hold
  • Rear ventilation
  • Reclining rear seats
  • Lockable glove box
  • Headlight cleaners
  • Heated steering wheel
  • wiper de-icer
  • Auto door locking

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

No. Only just in the showrooms. 

Not sure that AWDs are in the showrooms yet - thought May?

3 hours ago, Gweeds said:

I'm about to pull the trigger on ordering one of these...

Anyone tell me why I shouldn't?

If you really must have " Black 18-inch alloy wheels, heated front sports seats, bi-tone metallic paint, black interior headlining" over an Excel, no.

2 hours ago, PeteB said:

- interesting, your choice of the Dynamic, which has as far as I can see some styling differences but lacks some equipment I particularly want, including:

• Headlight cleaners
  • Front wiper de-icer

those do appear odd especially as the Dynamic is dearer - could be typos or omissions when they were still settling on specs. Worth checking though. The Toyota.co.uk website conflicts a bit with https://blog.toyota.co.uk/2019-toyota-rav4-uk-grade-structure-and-pricing

Not off hand, I'm considering an Excel AWD with the 360° Panoramic Camera
  • Headlight cleaners
  • Front wiper de-icer
I haven't managed to get a test drive, have you?
I have a few personal concerns to address when I get a test drive, some of which may not worry others if they're not used to the Prius:
  • after 7 years and almost 100,000 miles with a Head Up Display, I'm really concerned about losing this - when I drive cars without it I really miss it
  • also after a similar period of large, bold central displays of speed and other info, the RAV4 dash is quite small and one has to focus closer and down through the steering wheel
  • occasionally find the Prius auto parking system useful, RAV4 doesn't have this
  • a number of reviewers on YouTube have commented about the road and wind noise level at higher speeds - I'll be taking my noise meter along to reinforce any opinion I form while driving
That said, there are a lot of things that interest me not available on the Prius, including:
  • Electric seat with memory
  • Power boot
  • Electronic parking brake with Hold
  • Rear ventilation
  • Reclining rear seats
  • Lockable glove box
  • Headlight cleaners
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Wiper de-icer
  • Auto door locking

Thanks, as I understand it, there is a discrepancy in some of the literature and in fact the spec is the same as the excel, the only differences being the bitone paint schemes plus some other minor 'upgrades' on the excel (depending on your point of view of course).

Personally I like the bitone paints and am happy to pay extra... I will however be double and triple checking the spec situation before ordering!!

those do appear odd especially as the Dynamic is dearer - could be typos or omissions when they were still settling on specs. Worth checking though. The Toyota.co.uk website conflicts a bit with https://blog.toyota.co.uk/2019-toyota-rav4-uk-grade-structure-and-pricing
My dealership has confirmed these are omissions and the spec is the same... I'm going to verify that with a couple of other dealerships before I order though. Like you, it seemed odd if it was the case, particularly some really basic things like the washer level warning light etc.

If you really must have " Black 18-inch alloy wheels, heated front sports seats, bi-tone metallic paint, black interior headlining" over an Excel, no.
I really like the look of the bitone paints and happy to pay extra for them, so yes, I must lol. I would be upgrading for the black alloys if I ordered the excel also, whereas they are standard on the dynamic. At £650 it isn't an insignificant upgrade.

Bought a  2018 Hybrid last October and it's the best car I have owned and great on fuel considering it's a 2.7 petrol and Battery, 39.5 mpg and I have not done any long trips so far yet.

By way of an update and answer to a few of the points raised; I visited my local dealership today (Norwich)... They have a showroom car in - an icon in obsidian blue and demo due in first week in march. Speaking to the sales guy, he confirmed the dynamic was the same features wise, as the excel but had faux leather, bitone paint schemes, heated sports seats and upgraded 18inch alloys as standard.

I was given a 10 min demo in the icon and I have to say I was very impressed. Obviously didn't get up to speed in that time, but the ride was very smooth, throttle, steering and brakes responsive and accelleration was verging on brutal when floored from a standing start.

Overall a lovely car and all being well once the demo car is in (dynamic, AWD with the jbl Speakers and panoramic sunroof) I will be ordering. I was told that current orders are due to be delivered 2nd week of May.

I'm a company car driver, so adding the co2 emissions, decent mpg and sensible p11d value to the above makes the Rav4 a very compelling option.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gweeds said:

...I was given a 10 min demo in the icon and I have to say I was very impressed...

I'm a company car driver, so adding the co2 emissions, decent mpg and sensible p11d value to the above makes the Rav4 a very compelling option.

Did you notice if it had the steering column paddles for playing with the transmission/regen braking?

At least the tax benefit on this is valid.

The Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV has sold like hotcakes for some years, and with about 30 miles EV range on a full charge could produce some very impressive mpg and CO2 figures and was taxed accordingly.  Recent reports suggest from feedback from leasing companies that many, when returned after 3 years, still have the charging cable in the original sealed bag!  Whilst it's possible that some used charging stations that had a cable, it seemed likely many had been bought just for the tax benefit and never, or hardly ever plugged in.  If that was widespread, they'd have been lucky to manage low 40s mpg, with CO2 output to match.

Did you notice if it had the steering column paddles for playing with the transmission/regen braking?
At least the tax benefit on this is valid.
The Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV has sold like hotcakes for some years, and with about 30 miles EV range on a full charge could produce some very impressive mpg and CO2 figures and was taxed accordingly.  Recent reports suggest from feedback from leasing companies that many, when returned after 3 years, still have the charging cable in the original sealed bag!  Whilst it's possible that some used charging stations that had a cable, it seemed likely many had been bought just for the tax benefit and never, or hardly ever plugged in.  If that was widespread, they'd have been lucky to manage low 40s mpg, with CO2 output to match.
Sorry, I can't say I did notice... I'll pay more attention when I get the proper demo.

1 hour ago, Gweeds said:

Sorry, I can't say I did notice... I'll pay more attention when I get the proper demo.

Thanks, I should be getting a demo on the car you mentioned when it comes in, my salesman (also Norwich) has promised me a test drive when the AWD demo arrives.

It sounds like it will have the Panoramic camera system which comes as part of the JBL upgrade, which will be good as if I like the car I'll want that and it will be good to check it out.

It looks very cool on this guy's demo:  

Hi guys, went to my local dealer over the weekend and they had Dynamic fwd in showroom. Had a chat whit the sales guy (who attended two RAV4 specific courses) and he confirmed that Dynamic gets external bits, but looses internal tech compared to Excel:

The seats are made from faux leather in Dynamic and Excel has real leather seats.
No memory seats

Probably no to the heated stearing wheel and the wipers deicers too (did not notice)

There are no steering column paddles to adjust brake regen, like in Outlander - in any of the RAV4
What the sales guy could not tell me if the fwd version gets an electronic slip diff or a simplified version of torque vectoring, like the awd one. Hope it does, as I can get 4x2 with the options I need, cheaper than base 4x4, with the change to swap to Michelin CrossClimate plus tires.

And UK definetly is not getting the digital rear mirror (EU does) and no ventilated seats, as it will be too much to sway customers from lexus to toyota.

• Like 1

Good evening all, 

Newbie here, I have just joined the forum so thought I would say hello and add my bit to this thread.

I had been toying with a company lease on a Mini Countryman PHEV due to BIK etc and the other option on my supplied list that appealed was the Rav 4.

Anyway, I had an extended 2 day loan of a mini PHEV, nice and quick, nice materials etc and a great sat nav ( being BMW based ), but maybe a bit small for my needs. I had drafted a company e mail with spec etc and was planning on sending it over to order today but thought I would wait a week until the Rav 4 was available to drive down south ( 1st March ).

Having seen it in the local showroom about 2 weeks ago I thought how well laid out it was and being 6’ I just fitted it in better I guess. I was not too keen on the reports about the CVT or the Satnav but thought I would give it ago so I had an accompanied test drive for about 30 mins on Friday 1st  March and was very impressed, just easy to drive and stress free ( maybe a few too many lights and safety systems for my taste ) but overall very nice. I then managed to get another 2 hour drive in the mini in the afternoon which backed up my original thoughts about it being a bit small and a bit to hard a ride for very long journeys etc. 

At another Toyota dealer today I arranged an hour unaccompanied test drive in a Dynamic model and again was very impressed. The ride is good, easy to get in and out and a nice place to spend a few hours in most days, the Sat nav is still not great but you do get directions in the driver display and the maps do auto zoom at junctions so in the end a bit better than I had expected. The gearbox seems generally fine to me as long as you don’t thrash it so that was a bonus.

Anyway, long story short I have this afternoon ordered one through our company leasing company and hope for a June delivery.

I have ordered the Excel spec in AWD, Silver Blade with Black leather interior with the JBL / PVM options added. The Excel trim level seems the best value to me if you don’t want to much glossy trims.

Final bonus, I can claim 21ppm as it is a 2.5 ltr engine as opposed to the Minis 14 ppm for the 1.5 ltr engine so I end up about £1000 better off in the forthcoming tax year.

Regards

Martin 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Southern Softy said:

...I was not too keen on the reports about the CVT...

...maybe a few too many lights and safety systems for my taste )...

...The gearbox seems generally fine to me as long as you don’t thrash it so that was a bonus.

...I have ordered the Excel spec in AWD, Silver Blade with Black leather interior with the JBL / PVM options added...

Hi Martin, welcome to the group.

The CVT gets a bad name from the press for sounding loud and thrashy when pressed partly because the Toyota Hybrids are so quiet the rest of the time.  I've found it stays a bit more refined if one squeezes the accelerator quickly rather than stamping on it, when it will still give quite adequate acceleration.  Some can never take to it, but I personally don't like driving anything else, except an EV (and I've clocked over 310,000 miles in them since 2002 to proved it!).

You'll find most of the safety and assistance features are pretty unobtrusive, and they can be turned off individually in the menus if you really don't want any of them (or you can adjust sensitivity) .  Unless it's improved a lot since mine, the road sign recognition system is naff, and most seem to turn that one off.  One of the most vocal systems is the lane keep assist, but that can be deactivated and reactivated by a steering wheel button.  I only turn mine off if driving enthusiastically on a fast, winding country road, when it can become annoying, but mostly welcome the backup it provides.  I don't like the auto Dip Beam system, so that stays off too.

I'm waiting for a test drive in an AWD and if I like it enough I also will be going for an Excel AWD with JBL+PVM (only want the PVM really, it's magic!), but in solid white with tan interior.

11 hours ago, SponsorUK said:

... he confirmed that Dynamic gets external bits, but looses internal tech compared to Excel:

No memory seats
Probably no to the heated stearing wheel and the wipers deicers too (did not notice)

There are no steering column paddles to adjust brake regen,

... UK definetly is not getting the digital rear mirror (EU does) and no ventilated seats, as it will be too much to sway customers from lexus to toyota.

Hmm, several others say they've been told that the lack of kit in the Dynamic is an error on the web site, and apart from true leather seats Dynamic will get these features.  I'm waiting until I can see an Excel in the flesh to check that it actually has the things I want, and also want to check whether it has wireless phone charging as I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere in the UK documents.

Some models in other counties do get the paddles, real shame we don't.

Disappointing also we can't (even at extra cost)  get the digital mirror, ventilated seats and heated rears seat that the US gets.

Never mind not taking sales from Lexus, I hadn't considered looking at the Honda C-RV Hybrid until I realised just how many of the features I've been seeing on American YouTube reports are missing on UK spec cars.  One of the hardest decisions for me will be to lose the Heads Up Display that the current and previous Prius versions had, and after using them for 100,000 miles over 7 years I really hate driving cars without it.

I've now organised a 2 day test drive via my leasing company... Hopefully with the car to arrive sometime in March. We will see!

In the meantime I have ordered the dynamic... For me, the exterior styling beats the (possible) slight reduction in features.

As an aside... The sat nav must be pretty awful if the BMW system is much better... Worst I've had out of Audi, VW, Mercedes, Land rover, hyundai and citroen by a distance... About the same distance as the BMW system normally gets me towards my destination, which is a coincidence lol.

As an aside, I cover 30k plus miles a year average, so the company car benefits are the big draw for me towards the rav4. That and my personal vow to never have another BMW!

4 hours ago, Gweeds said:

I've now organised a 2 day test drive via my leasing company...

Good move.  When I had company cars getting any test drive was challenging.

Another thing to look out for, I've recently seem some reviews where they say they can't see the speedo and other dash info when the sun's on the dash - earlier reviews had mostly praised it so that's something I hope to check as long as the sun is out the day I get my test drive.  That's one problem I never have on the Prius' digital dash.

Hi Pete,

Thank you for your feedback, I can confirm the sun does effect the speedo a bit when out, it is low at present of course, more the angle of the Perspex I think. The digital rear view mirror looks great to me on the US version, wonder if there might be an option of a retro fit ? Regarding trims, I have not seen the memory function on the Dynamic models I have sat in so I am presuming the specs are correct at present. The lack of a HUD was a concern to me but as the mini map direction is between the 2 outer displays  I found that quite easy to follow, more in my eye line than my BMW.

Hi Guy, regarding the satnav my comparison against the BMW was on the quality of the graphics and operation via a control knob, the actual directions seemed spot on to me. I to do around 30k pa with around 20k being company mileage so at 22 ppm mile I hope to be quids in when I fill out my company expense form 😊, just hope the finance director does not twig the 2.5 ltr engine size !

• Like 1

I got my test drive this morning, just under 2 hours in a silver Dynamic 2WD with the panoramic roof.

I can now confirm it did NOT have:

• Headlight cleaners
  • Front wiper de-icer

It probably doesn't have the Washer fluid level warning but I wasn't able to test for that.

I was impressed by the drive, and although wind noise was quite noticeable at higher speeds, it wasn't a problem and the car still seemed very quiet, especially on the smoother tarmac roads.  Road noise didn't seem bad at all.  My decibel meter averages about 66 at 60 mph and 68 at 70, which compares well with my Prius, despite the wind noise being less obvious in the latter.

I'll add a bit more detail when I've a bit more time.

I'm ordering the Excel 4wd. 

Test drove the 2wd dynamic. 

I'm not a fan of the shiny plastic bits, and the black 18" alloys appear visually smaller than the silver 17" alloys

More toys for me, less fancy on the outside, alll for less money, I think the Excel is going to be a very popular model based on the spec. 

6 hours ago, PeteB said:

...I'll add a bit more detail when I've a bit more time.

and here's a first draft of some notes from my test drive:

http://www.biwel.com/pmb01/RAV4_Dynamic_FWD_Test_Drive.pdf

I'll probably update it a bit as things occur to me or from questions that may be asked, or if I do get an AWD test drive.

Edited by PeteB
fixed link address

Excellent review of the RAV4 PeteB thank you . To be honest I didn’t notice the indicator noise at all on my test drive of the Dynamic RAV4 

what inpressed me a great deal was how comfortable I was in the RAV4 and compared with the test drives of Lexus NX Honda hybrid CR-V & the Audi Q3 the RAV4 to sum up  fitted me like a glove , that’s why I have ordered RAV4 Excel 2WD 

thanks again on an excellent review . Before I go are there any HOW TO VIDEOS FOR TOYOTA in general 

As an update to my original test drive, 8th to 10th of April I am getting a FWD icon demo vehicle for 2 days... I'm intending to get some decent mileage in, although I'm annoyed that a dynamic wasn't available.